Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 05:25 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
That is there job. They jerk the sheeple back and forth so that they reamain confused and uninformed about what is being done to them. There has not been a free press or anything that slightly resembles journalism in this country now since the days of Watergate.
If you get your information from the main stream media, you have not got a clue.
Yet every year after 2008, we got blasted with "reports" that the real estate market was finally in recovery mode. Hey, they're guaranteed to get it right one day if they keep at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
That is there job. They jerk the sheeple back and forth so that they reamain confused and uninformed about what is being done to them. There has not been a free press or anything that slightly resembles journalism in this country now since the days of Watergate.
If you get your information from the main stream media, you have not got a clue.
It depends who you read and pay attention to. On the other hand you will have people find some nut jobs who are not tied to any media companies and they buy into their uneducated commentary.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:17 PM

361 posts, read 748,152 times
I am not seeing it.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Well..its entirely possible to have positive GDP, high profitabilty, and no job growth. Or have job growth but in low/stagnant wages & part time jobs. So 'recovery', but still a lot of uncertainty, treading water, and a tight job market for the average Joe.

This is just one of those spinnable statments. Yes, recovery, but so what?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
I think the US economy is being massively propped up.

-For example the US postal service employs 574,000 people!! On wikipedia, it says its the nations second largest civilian employer. Have you noticed how little mail you get now days? It's virtually nothing. Fliers and a few regular pieces of mail.

Mail could easily go down to 3 or 4 days a week. The mail volume in the last 10 years has gone down by some incredible amount.

And the general trend towards automation, the internet, the "knowledge economy", whatever you want to call it...it doesnt seem very good for regular civilian employment.

I read somewhere that the percent of males employed in this country is at some crazy low level. If you compare it from 1970 to now, its like 95% vs 70%. And we're suppose to believe the economy keeps growing?

Plus all the monkeying from the FED (i.e. buying treasury bonds), the real economy underneath is atrocious. Basically on life support. I bet since the 70's, our economic growth has been half real growth, half welfare, or manipulation/changing the numbers around (i.e. how unemployment is calculated).

No go back to your CNBC messages, lol.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Some things are like markets but its driven by cut in lbor they have made and on FED liquidity. Of course hosuing has pciked upo since rates are dso low and investors are buying up many foreclosed homes because they can make more money that other investemnts.But look at last week when market interpreted the FED minutes as possible raly end to QE feedig the markets cheap money;it dropped immediarely.The econmy is still on life support with very slow growth and really not near enough jobs created to support the new people enterig the job market each eayr.The at about 40% of workig age adults droppi g out of lokig for jobs for vasious reasons it agian shows a real problem in people just giving up looking.Whe FED quits stimulatig the markets by letting rates seek their won level the we will see things chnage if no fundamental have changed.
Are people actually dropping out of the job market or are they striving to own their own lives instead of having corporate America own it? I haven't been in the corporate world for over 13 years and I don't regret that decision one bit. As far as slow growth?, it is really growing in Texas with the oil and natural gas boom and just read the other day that people that want to invest really need to be looking at liquid natural gas infrastructure for exporting. People need to go where their skills will take them or learn new skills to stay where they are. Don't let the government and media dictate what you think you can do. (Just my 2 cents) Have a great day!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It depends who you read and pay attention to. On the other hand you will have people find some nut jobs who are not tied to any media companies and they buy into their uneducated commentary.
It is funny how people who gravitate to the most fringe elements, think no one else can form an independent opinion on a preponderance of evidence.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:00 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The information is out there, but it is a question of assimilating the information from different sources and then forming your own opinion as to what is actually happening. When you do that, the conclusions of the main stream media make about as much sense as the conclusions of the Warren Commission.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:03 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The wealthy got hit the hardest in the Recession for obvious reasons. They have/get most of their wealth in the markets and that got tanked. Staying put they also obviously came back the most and the quickest. There are more studies and articles about it to read for a life time. The housing market got hit and is coming back much slower. Middle class families etc had their wealth in housing thus the wealth gap has gotten greater.
Oh I'm sure they're still riding their fancy yachts, flying to Hawaii and raking in their bucks. Cry me a river.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:47 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Oh I'm sure they're still riding their fancy yachts, flying to Hawaii and raking in their bucks. Cry me a river.
Still got hit and that is a well documented fact. It was still a net loss of wealth and while others may not care some folks , some of us do because we got hit in the process and recovered right along with them. Not sure about you but I want wealthy people chasing the assets I have bought after I have done so. Just drives the value of it all up. Just like your house. Would you rather have wealthy folks moving in and driving prices up or lower income folks moving and what ever happens in that situation. You know the drill about rising tides. Some accept it some don't I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics