Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
Good grief.
Mooch off your parents and not me. If you are "too anxious" to work, how will you be able to handle school?

You say no one would hire you and then you say you're above making $3 an hour as a barista. Which is it?

You are standing in your own way and if I had to guess your parents are enablers. Your dad is wasting his money. He is better off giving you some of that money to start an online coin business where you don't have to interact with people face to face.
What I'm saying is that before I got accepted for SSI nobody would hire me, but now I'm saying that now that I have it, there's no point of working a minimum wage grind since the government will just take away most of my money anyways. I'm not as anxious now as I was but I'm not just going to forfeit the money I get. I have obligations to my brother whom I share an apartment with, I'm not sure I can even get a job, and going to college will make it so I'm not dependent on benefits in the near future.

I don't like being on SSI at all - it's a fixed income and a pretty spartan existence, but I feel like I have no choice, since without it I will have to work full time and thus won't be able to go to college.

Does anyway know any creative, ingenuous and legal way I can make extra money? And I mean like more than just a couple hundred bucks a month. I'm sorry but it's not worth slaving making coffee or flipping burgers for pocket money, especially when I'll be busy with college. I'm talking about like stuff that can make me hundreds of dollars a month that doesn't take up all my free time.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:50 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
work as a bank teller. Starting salary will be around 10 bucks an hour and provide good benefits. Plus if you don't mess up, opportunity for advancement.

And I have anxiety too. But I also worked full time and went to school full time. I rolled up my sleeves worked hard. I would never call it a disability. I call it more of an inconvenience.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I sell coins on ebay but they take so much of my profit out with fees, that it's barely worth the effort (I made a $30 profit and they took $11 so I ended up making a measly $19 profit).

Craigslist has very few odd jobs, and the ones they have tend to either require experience, a car, or the relevant tools, none of which I have.

And I don't have any store of capital to make investments. I am on SSI for disability so if I work a service-sector job I will be making peanuts, since they will just take half of it away. It's not worth slaving as a barista to rude people just for a measly 3 dollars an hour. I don't get much in SSI but it keeps my housing and living situation secure.

I'm 23 years old and on the 1st I will be starting college so I can become an electronic engineer. That is if there are any jobs available in that field to newcomers come 2015.

What creative things can I do in the meantime to make money so I can travel during the summer? It seems so hard to make any kind of money, all the possibilities are either out of my reach or pay so little that it doesn't even seem worth trying.
My first and only suggestion is to go to Amazon.Com and buy a few doses of reality.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I got SSI because I was too anxious to work and nobody would hire me. I don't really have a lot of friends where I live so I don't have connections, nor do I have any experience beyond a summer job six years ago in the summer of 2007 when I was 17 years old. Who do you think they're gonna hire, the 40 year old mom who needs a job to feed her kids or me, the guy who's well into his 20s and has barely any work experience?

No connections + no experience = no job. If I forfeited my SSI, I wouldn't be able to go to college. Working full time and getting a degree at the same time is not something I could handle nor am I sure it's even possible. Getting SSI not only ensures that I have a place to stay and don't have to worry about losing a job and moving back in with my mom and having to quit college, but it makes it so I have time to focus on school and sleep at night so I can get good grades.

SSI garnishes your wage if you get a job, so even if I was lucky enough to find one, I would be working for peanuts. 20 hours a week at 3 dollars an hour is not even worth bothering with. That's what, $240 a month?

Sorry, but I can't help but point this out and say you should feel lucky that you would be able to move in with your mother if you had to. I have no family to count on, as many others do*. If I lost my job and couldn't pay rent, I'd be outta luck.

*as in - "are in the same boat as me"

Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
There are plenty of ways... your just not willing to do the work necessary.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
There are plenty of ways... your just not willing to do the work necessary.
don't tell the OP that. That's not the answer he's looking for.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:16 AM

213 posts, read 728,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
don't tell the OP that. That's not the answer he's looking for.
I could not agree more.

Thats the problem with my generation lazy and false sense of entitlement. The op wants to work and get ssi dont we all wish we could get free money.

So what that you are going to school many students go full time and work full time to put themselves thru school.

Why shouldn't you? Are you better than them.

My advice is suck it up. Get a job, support yourself and be an adult!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,206,140 times
Apparently I missed out on a windfall of money. I went to college, on loans, scholarships, some grants. I worked before and after classes while taking 30+ credits a semester of electrical engineering, so I could afford to feed myself, pay rent and pay bills. Never took a dime of government money, other than grants I qualified for (less than $5k a year, my tuition was much, much more).

Want a job? Go be a waiter. You get job experience, you make good tips, and you can try working it around your class schedule. I remember having a tough semester and my only viable choice was working 16 hour shifts on a Saturday - I did it. Bartending works too, but you would have to put up money for a quick class to get licensed. I had a few secretarial jobs - got involved in a temp agency, work was usually better than minimum wage, you worked when you had the time, they found you jobs, and I could claim it on my resume.

Of course, I lived in NYC at the time, and did not need a car, though my commutes were normally an hour+ each way. If you don't have awesome mass transit, then yes, you need a car.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Be aware that a degree without any work experience is not a better place than you are now. Want work experience that won't interfere with your SSI? Do volunteer work.

It is a great way to develop a skill set and pay back the community. I would also look around for programs that provide education funding for those on disability. You should also talk to a counselor on campus about a campus job.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
OP, you are doing exactly what you should be doing to make money. Go to college and get a degree in a field where there is a chance to get hired based upon that degree.

If you are really serious and willing to work, take a heavy class load and devote every waking hour to study. That way, you can earn the degree is a shorter time and get out there sooner to earn a living. Going to college is a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics