Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:54 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times

Advertisements

Also, I second MissNM. Go and do volunteer work. That is networking and networking is an excellent way to find work. The other volunteers will see if you are a hard worker and they will let you know if they hear of any job openings.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I'm talking about like stuff that can make me hundreds of dollars a month that doesn't take up all my free time.
If such jobs existed, we wouldn't have so many people on welfare, or living in poverty. There are many ways to make money, but they all involve either time, or effort, usually both. You can sell your time to an employer, or you can make a product with your time and sell that. Or you can use your time researching products to buy and sell at a profit (which it sounds like you might be doing with coins...you can make a living at this if you deal in enough bulk...you can't just sell one, if you sold 6 a day, at a $19 profit, you would make more than I do at my job each 8 hour day). Or else you can invent a time machine, and go back in time and buy winning stocks. Those are pretty much the choices, other than an inheritance or marrying into money.

When I was in college, I was fortunate enough to have a scholarship that paid for my tuition and room and board. But summers and Christmas break, I worked 40 hours a week at Barnes and Noble bookstore in order to have money for books, any other miscellaneous expenses, and fun. Since there isn't a lot of time for fun when you are getting a Physics degree in 4 years, the fun expenses didn't add up to much. You are wanting to spend the time most college students spend working and earning money, instead traveling and having fun. Sorry, but that isn't how life works.

I also agree with other posters who commented that graduating with no work experience will not suddenly make you employable. You need to get some experience in your field, even if it is non-paying. As they said, volunteer work is all about the networking and the experience. DO IT!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:53 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
I got SSI because I was too anxious to work and nobody would hire me.
its amazing how easily our government seems to hand out our money these days.

my father in law collects disability for no legitimate reason. oh but according to him "i worked 25 years, i deserve it!" he collects disability, gets food stamps, subdidized housing and medicaid/medicare. he is in his mid-50's so we are taking care of him for a while unless he kicks the bucket early.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:58 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,318 times
Quote:
I got SSI because I was too anxious to work and nobody would hire me.
Gosh, how anxious do i have to get? I do lots of times. I had no idea,,do you have the SSI phone number?
I really have been missing all the great opportunities! America, what a country!!

Old 03-12-2013, 03:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
I think anyone who uses "money" as a verb deserves to be on some sort of disability.

It may be the only way they can happy.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
I sell coins on ebay but they take so much of my profit out with fees, that it's barely worth the effort (I made a $30 profit and they took $11 so I ended up making a measly $19 profit).

Craigslist has very few odd jobs, and the ones they have tend to either require experience, a car, or the relevant tools, none of which I have.

And I don't have any store of capital to make investments. I am on SSI for disability so if I work a service-sector job I will be making peanuts, since they will just take half of it away. It's not worth slaving as a barista to rude people just for a measly 3 dollars an hour. I don't get much in SSI but it keeps my housing and living situation secure.

I'm 23 years old and on the 1st I will be starting college so I can become an electronic engineer. That is if there are any jobs available in that field to newcomers come 2015.

What creative things can I do in the meantime to make money so I can travel during the summer? It seems so hard to make any kind of money, all the possibilities are either out of my reach or pay so little that it doesn't even seem worth trying.
I am not sure where Cascadia is, but chances are wherever it is they need much the same sorts of services that they do everywhere else. We are getting into spring and lawns need to be mowed, hedges need to be trimmed, swimming pools need to be prepared for summer.

Houses will always need to be painted and decks stained. People who want to put in gardens, but don't know how will always need help, and so will people who buy those little metal storage buildings from Home Depot that need to be put together.

It would be good if you got a car that way you could open up your opportunities to include pizza delivery and/or a paper route.

There are a lot of opportunities out there to make money if you are willing to work and be dedicated. Just keep your eyes open. If you see someone who needs their porch painted, knock on their door and offer to do it for them. Sign up with temp and labor agencies that handle day labor. Check out some landscape companies, they are always desperate for help this time of year, as are nursing homes.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-12-2013, 07:21 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its amazing how easily our government seems to hand out our money these days.

my father in law collects disability for no legitimate reason. oh but according to him "i worked 25 years, i deserve it!" he collects disability, gets food stamps, subdidized housing and medicaid/medicare. he is in his mid-50's so we are taking care of him for a while unless he kicks the bucket early.
It wasn't merely being anxious, I have OCD and Asperger's Syndrome and at one point was pretty suicidal.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
It wasn't merely being anxious, I have OCD and Asperger's Syndrome and at one point was pretty suicidal.
yeah, no. you still shouldnt be getting disability. you can work. its so offensive that the system is abused and really thats what our elected morons want. they take advantage of the fact that most of us feel that those that are legitimately disabled should get help. next thing you know, you let everyone who cries disability latch on the the taxpayers throats like parasites.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, no. you still shouldnt be getting disability. you can work. its so offensive that the system is abused and really thats what our elected morons want. they take advantage of the fact that most of us feel that those that are legitimately disabled should get help. next thing you know, you let everyone who cries disability latch on the the taxpayers throats like parasites.
And what is legitimately disabled? Is that kind of like being legitimately raped?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 PM

355 posts, read 912,849 times
Quote:
And what is legitimately disabled? Is that kind of like being legitimately raped?
Think Stephen Hawking. He is a quadriplegic, someone physically unable to work. Oh wait, he works too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.