Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times

Advertisements

My only question, and I'm not trying to sound mean, is if holding a job is difficult, how is going to school easy? You're still interacting with people (unless you're going online only to school, from your home).

Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
My only question, and I'm not trying to sound mean, is if holding a job is difficult, how is going to school easy? You're still interacting with people (unless you're going online only to school, from your home).
You can't be fired from school, and dealing with teachers is a lot easier than dealing with customers. I can handle part time work, but considering how little it pays when I'm on SSI (which I need to pay rent and eat, part time isn't enough for that), it's definitely not enough for anything beyond pocket money.

I'm better than I was but I'm definitely not mentally well enough to be busy 16 hours a day. I have obsessive and intrusive thoughts that make it very difficult to keep on task as it is. Actually I don't know how anyone manages to stay busy 16 hours a day, it sounds like a nightmare to me, I'd rather be homeless than have to slave like that.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
So do you think I should call the government and say "I don't think I need this money", tell my dad "I'm not going to school, I'm gonna find a job, thanks for the offer"? I mean that sounds kind of extreme but yeah.

Honestly I'd rather be homeless than have to work two full time jobs. What's the point of living if you do nothing but work? But I don't think I'd even be able to find any work anyways.

My point was 1) There isn't much work at all here anyways and 2) even if there was, I couldn't make a livable wage without a college degree.
you must be getting a ton of money from ssdi to not be able to get a job that allows you to make the same. you also don't have to go to school full time either. you could work full/part time, and gain some experience and take a couple classes. Also, if you have 0 experience and an associates degree, guess what you're going to get when you graduate. the same low paying job that you would have gotten prior to the associates degree. Unless you have some sort of connections, an electrical engineering associates degree would be useless when you are competing for the same job someone with a bachelors degree would be trying to get. Associates degrees aren't even like a high school diploma now. A bachelors degree is.

Just to throw some numbers at you, if you are collecting 1200 a month on disability you would have to work 40 hours a week at 8.50 an hour. that's not that bad and shouldn't be too hard to find something as it's just above minimum wage. the only difference is you would have to work and provide for yourself.

I don't see why the idea of moving in with your parents is so bad to you. so what if you're 23. i moved out when i was 25. i could have afforded to move out prior but i wouldn't have had as much money for a car or fun or to save.

I also don't get where you think that you'll be busy for 16 hours a day. I worked full time, went to school full time, and still had a lot of time left over for extra curricular activities, a girlfriend, and hanging out with friends. If you take 12 credit hours, that's only 12 hours of class each week. Then homework. And for an associates degree, it shouldn't be the "2 hours of study/homework for every hour of class" Even then, if you take the 36 hours of class time, plus 40 hours of work, you have 76 hours of "not fun time" every week. so you're not even looking at 11 hours a day of being busy, if you break it up over a full 7 day week. That's barely over what people are putting in on their full time jobs.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
That is an extreme response and maybe not all at once, but yes self-sufficiency should be the goal.

This is a problem with your attitude. The point is to take at least some of the burden off the people that are supporting you because you aren't willing to work. Whether that is your parents who don't owe you anything since you are an adult and have been for some time or the taxpayers who are willing to work two full-time crappy jobs. Seriously there are people that work to crappy jobs just to make ends meet and they are paying for you. Do you think that is fair?

So you should just give up? You can still make it without a degree it is just difficult and you have to do all of the learning on your own. I have been a software developer for almost 8 years now and only have an AAS degree which I got while WORKING FULL TIME. Maybe if you tried to work you would be surprised with what you could accomplish. Don't you want to help take some of the burden off your parents who have had to support you well into your adulthood? You aren't a child and in my opinion you should be on the street if you aren't willing to work. Hell you could even volunteer with all this free time you have. Why don't you try giving back something to society instead of just taking from it?

I don't necessarily blame all of this on you. You are a product of our entitled generation and the parents that raised us. If you really did have to live on the street, you would probably realize how lucky you are and how good you have it and maybe it would motivate you to work for minimum wage so that you have food in your belly.
The reason I'm going to school is in part so I can make a job that pays decent money so I can support a family and pay for my parents' retirement to show my gratitude for them raising me. I have anxiety issues that make 16 hour work days impossible. Maybe some people like yourself are strong enough to work that hard, or maybe even enjoy being "out there" that much, but it's not something I could handle. I worked 8 hour days at a deli one time and I was so tired when I got home from standing up all day, there's no way I would have the energy to go and do a full day of school. Plus like I said I have obsessive thoughts and anxiety issues that make it difficult for me to stay on task, which I have spent years working on re-wiring myself to get over and while it has improved enough that I think I'm ready to go to school, I don't think I could work on top of that just yet.

The powers that be might tell us being a slave and working 6 days a week dawn to dusk is the only way but it's only because of their greed. There is a surplus of goods so don't blame the disabled, blame the greedy people on the top because without their hogging of resources most of us wouldn't even have to work.

As for our generation being lazy and entitled, I disagree. I'd say that was the generation before us. Most people born in the 80s/90s seem to look down upon slackers and many of the people I know who are a few years younger than me work and get degrees.

The sad thing is many of the degrees they will get will turn out to be worthless and they will be stuck in their dead end jobs, because global capitalism means that only a small segment of skilled and experienced people can even hope for something better. The Baby Boomers had the fortune of growing up in a special window when anyone who wished to work could work. When you have fewer jobs than people, that means that some people will not have jobs no matter how hard they. It sucks but it's true.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:59 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
By not having a car, you seriously inhibit your ability to make a living.
Total BS. A car is a serious LIABILITY for most people. Unless you absolutely MUST commute over ten miles each way a bicycle is a better choice.

GL2

Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
you must be getting a ton of money from ssdi to not be able to get a job that allows you to make the same. you also don't have to go to school full time either. you could work full/part time, and gain some experience and take a couple classes. Also, if you have 0 experience and an associates degree, guess what you're going to get when you graduate. the same low paying job that you would have gotten prior to the associates degree. Unless you have some sort of connections, an electrical engineering associates degree would be useless when you are competing for the same job someone with a bachelors degree would be trying to get. Associates degrees aren't even like a high school diploma now. A bachelors degree is.

Just to throw some numbers at you, if you are collecting 1200 a month on disability you would have to work 40 hours a week at 8.50 an hour. that's not that bad and shouldn't be too hard to find something as it's just above minimum wage. the only difference is you would have to work and provide for yourself.

I don't see why the idea of moving in with your parents is so bad to you. so what if you're 23. i moved out when i was 25. i could have afforded to move out prior but i wouldn't have had as much money for a car or fun or to save.
I actually only get about $900 a month. In my state, I would have work 40 hours to make that much at minimum wage after taxes were taken out.

Moving with my parents isn't an option because they live in a small town with no work. It's a complete dead end and I would simply be mooching off them if I was forced to move back there. I tried finding a job there when I lived there, nobody ever called me back.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Total BS. A car is a serious LIABILITY for most people. Unless you absolutely MUST commute over ten miles each way a bicycle is a better choice.

GL2
I live in a place that's walkable but damn yeah, it annoys me how many jobs and gigs demand a car even if you don't really need one. It's a huge liability too so it's a catch 22. Damned if you don't have one, damned if you do.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
The reason I'm going to school is in part so I can make a job that pays decent money so I can support a family and pay for my parents' retirement to show my gratitude for them raising me. I have anxiety issues that make 16 hour work days impossible. Maybe some people like yourself are strong enough to work that hard, or maybe even enjoy being "out there" that much, but it's not something I could handle. I worked 8 hour days at a deli one time and I was so tired when I got home from standing up all day, there's no way I would have the energy to go and do a full day of school. Plus like I said I have obsessive thoughts and anxiety issues that make it difficult for me to stay on task, which I have spent years working on re-wiring myself to get over and while it has improved enough that I think I'm ready to go to school, I don't think I could work on top of that just yet.

The powers that be might tell us being a slave and working 6 days a week dawn to dusk is the only way but it's only because of their greed. There is a surplus of goods so don't blame the disabled, blame the greedy people on the top because without their hogging of resources most of us wouldn't even have to work.

As for our generation being lazy and entitled, I disagree. I'd say that was the generation before us. Most people born in the 80s/90s seem to look down upon slackers and many of the people I know who are a few years younger than me work and get degrees.

The sad thing is many of the degrees they will get will turn out to be worthless and they will be stuck in their dead end jobs, because global capitalism means that only a small segment of skilled and experienced people can even hope for something better. The Baby Boomers had the fortune of growing up in a special window when anyone who wished to work could work. When you have fewer jobs than people, that means that some people will not have jobs no matter how hard they. It sucks but it's true.
What are you talking about. Noone works 16 hours a day (maybe docs...but very few jobs do this). You have no idea how school works. You don't do 5 days of school consisting of 8 hours a day each. This isn't highschool. You might have a 2 hour class Monday and a 1 hour class Wednesday and maybe Thursday you load up and have 3 back to back 2 hour classes. That is it though.

Your just making excuses now. Again....you won't be working anything near 16 hours a day. Also, you said that your tired after 8 hours of work....SO IS EVERYONE ELSE. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

That is great that your going to school, but you have no idea how a college or university works. You don't come in at 7am and go to classes for 8 hours a day. Sure you could load up and take 8-10 hours of classes in a day...but that is only 1 day. Studying and doing homework doesn't take 8 hours a day also.

You think our generation ( I will be 24 in May)isn't being lazy or entitled???!!!!!

Please, people "back in the day" didn't deal with all of this food stamps, welfare, section 8 housing, SSI, SSDI crap. They either worked and provided or lived on the streets. They didn't pop out 3 babies then ask "where's my money government?". It is pathetic. They worked hard for themselves or their families and if they whined they were out on the streets with the bums. Nowadays you just call up one of the many government programs which they think they all are entitled to and demand money.

How do you think people survived the "Great Deppression"? They didn't march to Capital Hall demanding "Great Depression Benefits".

Old 03-14-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
What are you talking about. Noone works 16 hours a day (maybe docs...but very few jobs do this). You have no idea how school works. You don't do 5 days of school consisting of 8 hours a day each. This isn't highschool. You might have a 2 hour class Monday and a 1 hour class Wednesday and maybe Thursday you load up and have 3 back to back 2 hour classes. That is it though.

Your just making excuses now. Again....you won't be working anything near 16 hours a day. Also, you said that your tired after 8 hours of work....SO IS EVERYONE ELSE. Excuses, excuses, excuses.
I would say it totally depends what degree you're taking. I won't be taking too many classes at first but I wouldn't be surprised at all if I'm doing 4 full days starting this autumn. And FYI, I probably will eventually work part time, I'm just taking things a bit slow.

What frustrates me, and the point of this thread, is how hard it is to make extra money on the side in this supposed "land of opportunity". Whether it's SSI or a paltry minimum wage job, it seems impossible to make more than just the bare minimum to survive and maybe get a beer or pizza now and then because there's always some caveat.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post

Please, people "back in the day" didn't deal with all of this food stamps, welfare, section 8 housing, SSI, SSDI crap. They either worked and provided or lived on the streets. They didn't pop out 3 babies then ask "where's my money government?". It is pathetic. They worked hard for themselves or their families and if they whined they were out on the streets with the bums. Nowadays you just call up one of the many government programs which they think they all are entitled to and demand money.

How do you think people survived the "Great Deppression"? They didn't march to Capital Hall demanding "Great Depression Benefits".
Yeah and life sucked back then. And there wasn't a surplus of material like now. There's more than enough food and wealth in this country to go around many times, yet people would rather throw bleach on the food than feed it to people who can't find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics