Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,140,453 times

Advertisements

I suffer from depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and a few other things. Some since I was a kid.

I've worked since I was old enough to be able to (16 in businesses, before that babysitting).

Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,059,126 times
This is the best thread ever.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 AM

168 posts, read 334,720 times
If you that much anxiety then how are you going to be able to go college?

If you make it through college how are you going to be able to work as a electrician? My stepdad was a electrician and its not a solitary job (unless you are doing small home repair jobs), he did the wiring on buildings being constructed so he had to work along side a lot of people doing a lot of different things, very noisy, had to work in cold climate because the buildings were not completed before they started wiring.

I think you are full of it and you are committing fraud. You refuse to work a job because you think its beneath you? Now I know why you dont have many friends, I wouldnt want to be friends with someone who thinks they are above certain jobs when they dont have any experience or education that would warrant them getting a better job.

Also get a car or a moped, something motorized that can get you around. The whole "I dont need a car where I live" is BS, you need a car to show employers that you have transportation. You open yourself up to more jobs by having your own transportation.

There is so much more I could go over but its just going to give me a headache.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,561,987 times
whats really disappointintg is that if a 23 year old is collecting disability for anxiety, what are the standards? who does the government reject for benefits? its no wonder that we have a record amount of people on disability these days, it seems like the government just wants to let people get on some program to freeload off of taxpayers.

OP, was it challenging at all to get the disability payments? what did they require from you to prove your "disability"?

Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,085,919 times
You can really collect money from an anxiety problem?? Lots of people deal with anxiety, depression, OCD, etc. and they go to work. How are you going to go to school or get a job after school? I worked during college and I'm still paying off loans now that I'm done. I've never taken money from the government. You want some easy to way to make money under the table so the government doesn't stop writing you a check? You want to make money so you can TRAVEL, but you're too "disabled" to go to work?? Please. You should be ashamed of yourself. I feel sick everytime I look at my paycheck and see the hundreds and hundreds of dollars taken out every month so people like you can sit at home watching TV all day. Disgusting.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,561,987 times
my father in law collects disability for some kind of anxiety/mental issue. apparently after he attempted to kill his girlfriend, spent a few years in prison and that left him in too fragile a state of mind to work. so just add another parasite to the backs of people that actually work for a living.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,264,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my father in law collects disability for some kind of anxiety/mental issue. apparently after he attempted to kill his girlfriend, spent a few years in prison and that left him in too fragile a state of mind to work. so just add another parasite to the backs of people that actually work for a living.
And people wonder why we are so harsh and rude to people on welfare, food stamps, SSI, etc. It is because half of them are people like the OP. Lazy people sucking the money out of the people who actually work. Sounds like a leech, looks like a leech, feels like a leech...I'm damn sure it is a leech.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,952,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
whats really disappointintg is that if a 23 year old is collecting disability for anxiety, what are the standards? who does the government reject for benefits? its no wonder that we have a record amount of people on disability these days, it seems like the government just wants to let people get on some program to freeload off of taxpayers.

OP, was it challenging at all to get the disability payments? what did they require from you to prove your "disability"?
Federal Disability Insurance Nears Collapse - Businessweek

Quote:
The pot of money the Social Security Administration is using to cover disability insurance is projected to run dry in 2016. That means more than 9 million out-of-work disabled Americans, plus their spouses and children, who also qualify for benefits, would see their checks shrink 21 percent. (
Quote:
The disability rolls have swollen 23 percent since 2007, in part because of the bad economy. Many people who can’t find work exhaust their unemployment benefits, then turn to disability for assistance—not always legitimately. The benefit pays an average $1,111 a month per worker. “They’re desperate,” says Ken Nibali, a retired associate commissioner of the program. “They figure, ‘I do have trouble working, and I’m going to apply and see if I’m eligible.’ ”
Quote:
During a round of cost-cutting measures in the early 1980s, the Reagan administration halted aid to hundreds of thousands of Americans. Some lost their homes after being dropped, prompting Congress to reverse the cuts—and to expand the benefits pool to people with depression, back pain, chronic fatigue syndrome, and other ailments with more subjective diagnoses. In West Virginia, 9 percent of residents from the ages of 18 to 64 received the aid in 2010, the most of any state. Utah and Alaska had the lowest rate, 2.8 percent.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM

16,496 posts, read 19,557,895 times
Oh, I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I'm always tired.
Totally applying.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:33 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,264,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Oh, I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I'm always tired.
Totally applying.
I know, right. My gf gets headaches daily. Can she sit at home too and make 1k because she can't work? I wish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics