Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 01:27 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times

Advertisements

You just won Powerball Saturday night that might just hit 600 million! After you settle up with the tax man you will probably be left with 250 million.
What would you do?
Would you keep it quiet for as long as possible. You know the vultures will start circling when they find out your loaded.
Charity?
I think it is silly when people say that they will still work in their average 9-5. Really?
When I win I would start looking for a sweet house with a deep water salt water dock right out back, a multi car garage and a airport nearby where I can drive my Ferrari to so I can fly my biplane.
and of course travel to amazing places with my loved ones.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 01:34 PM

486 posts, read 1,255,482 times
Two chicks at the same time.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:38 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
I would not sign the ticket. I would immediately go to my sisters house and store the ticket in her gun safe. I would then setup and LLC with my lawyer as my main point of contact. From there I would sign the ticket using the LLC name I setup which will then make the lawyer the medias point of contact and the one who accepts the winnings. I would remain anonymous and enjoy my life living rich.

Some key things I would do. I would open up a very nice daycare for my GF to run. She is a nanny and her goal in life is to help low income families with daycare.

I would also buy a nice boat, a condo on the top floor of the trump tower, and a nice car (not sure which).

Old 05-17-2013, 03:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Immediately call an outstanding tax attorney I know and a whiz-bang accountant.

Have all mail forwarded to a personal attorney and empty the house of all valuables for safekeeping.

Get an unlisted telephone number, known only to my attorney and a trusted family member.

Hire a private jet for several weeks. Hire a really good travel agent with instructions to find a nice remote resort with exceptional security. Also ask said travel agent to book several hotel rooms in different cities for extended stays.

Immediately upon collecting the winnings, leave the press conference, fly to destination cities, check into each hotel room, and hang Do Not Disturb signs on the doors. Move on.

Fly to remote resort.

Sit for two-three weeks until the ruckus is over.

Move to some chi-chi place that caters to the superrich for a year. Live in anonymity with my family. Slowly establish ties with family and close friends, but never move back.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:58 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
Do they really broadcast lottery winners out the world?

I couldn't name one lottery winner off the top of my head.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:15 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,290,008 times
First, I'd have a drink. A big one. Then I would assign my sister (an attorney) to collect the winnings pm y behalf and immediatley disappear out of state. I've got family in several states where the only people there who know me are people I would take care of anyway, so I'd disappear to one of those places to avoid the media circus while I figure out how to deal with the winnings.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:30 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I would set up a trust to accept the winnings. I would really like to share with siblings, relatives and friends BUT I would not want any debate/input about my decisions. I would have the lawyer contact each sibling/cousin/friend and state an "unknown person" had won the lottery and would like to include them in the winnings.

I would keep 100 million and share the remaining 220 million.

1) A HUGE cattle ranch with a modest "Off Grid" home right in the middle of the property. Objective- Produce income while remaining isolated from the stupidity of our society. I would try to be self sustaining in all food production and never set foot in Wal-Mart again......

2) Build small airstrip on property and buy five or six aircraft I have always wanted.

3) Spend my days managing the ranch and trading agricultural futures and options.

4) Buy a nice sailboat and take yearly cruises. I would have a crew for the boat and ask them to position it in places I would like to explore further.

5) Get involved in animal welfare charity. I would use the profits (after my expenses are covered) from my ranch and trading to fund animal welfare. I would really like to help lower income people fund health services for their pets. Been there, done that. It is hard when your pet needs health services you can not provide due to your income. If I could help people pay their vet bills in order to save their companion animal I would die a happy man. I would also contribute in some way helping elderly people pay to keep their pets (Vet bills, food) because a LOT of older people ONLY have their pet as companions.

Ah, the dreams...... I will never win it but I enjoy the dream .

Old 05-17-2013, 06:07 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Just because it's easier to explain, take the lump sum of ~$200 million and put it in a perpetuity. Say that's got a guaranteed growth of 3%, that'd be my draw, or $6,000,000. If it's 2%, $4 million. Doesn't really matter, it's an obscene amount of money forever anyway you slice it.

From there just be recklessly irresponsible.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I would drive to a state, where you don't have to give your name to collect the winnings. I would basically sit in front of the lottery office, in my car. With the ticket in my purse, in a special wallet. I would sign it, turn it in, and collect the money.

I would quit my job. I would give a two week notice, saying nothing.

I think then, it would be time for a long, road trip. Just my new car, and open road. No cell phone. No agenda,
Sigh. Back to work.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:24 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,642 times
I would take cash sum and place money in bank, change phone numbers and immediately move. Buy two houses, invest money and help my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics