Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 12:28 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

Economy logs brisk 3.9 percent growth - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Ok so U.S. GDP grew at 3.9 percent and inflation is lower than expected this quarter. And though I'm not going to argue with the numbers themselves. I have to tell you, that to me something just isn't sitting right with me. Also if the economy is doing so well why did the fed just cut interest rates again? I know that the downward pressures are still there but if we actually grew at 3.9 percent this quarter. Then shouldn't the next quarter be down but somewhat close? Or maybe the Fed see a big downturn heading our way and is trying "to save the economy." Like I said something to me does not feel right.

But hey. I could be wrong. I my opinion Finance is a lot of lucky/educated guesses anyways.

Last edited by baystater; 10-31-2007 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
It is my understanding (although we have not seen the Fed statement yet) that the credit markets remain tight and continued downward pressure on the economy (from housing and energy issues) prompted the rate cut. I see no reason to be suspicious.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:21 PM

781 posts, read 3,816,545 times
IMO this cut was for the market and that is it. The Fed felt the pressure and if they did not cute they would be blamed for a landslide in the S&P and Dow. They are signaling that the rate cuts are over for now, but they are still concerned about the inflation risk from the commodities.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:50 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
I am now convinced that we are on the brink of Dollar disaster. This is not a good time for the American economy....

Old 10-31-2007, 05:45 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
Here's a better article about today's GDP report that discusses the quirks of national income accounting and how it turned a 10.3 percent rise in the price of imported goods into the lowest inflation figure in four decades.

Inflation was low because oil prices surged - MarketWatch

They do similar things in the CPI with energy prices. They subtract the rising cost of utilities from rents and housing inflation. I suspect that they do this in quite a few product/service categories where commodities are an input.

Another way in which inflation may be being missed by the authorities is the treatment of rising costs as surcharges by certain industries. They may be being ignored altogether by the authorities. A fuel surcharge is quite a common practice.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 PM

Default the article

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Here's a better article about today's GDP report that discusses the quirks of national income accounting and how it turned a 10.3 percent rise in the price of imported goods into the lowest inflation figure in four decades.

Inflation was low because oil prices surged - MarketWatch

They do similar things in the CPI with energy prices. They subtract the rising cost of utilities from rents and housing inflation. I suspect that they do this in quite a few product/service categories where commodities are an input.

Another way in which inflation may be being missed by the authorities is the treatment of rising costs as surcharges by certain industries. They may be being ignored altogether by the authorities. A fuel surcharge is quite a common practice.

Excellent article. Thanks much for it. I was trying to give you a rep point but they said I have to spread the rep around to about a bazillion other people. I make sure I give you it at a later date when I can.
Baystater.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:02 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
I posted this link in another thread.

I dont know if its 100% accurate or not, but its going down the right road IMO to explain "inflation, "economic growth", etc.

An Alternative Inflation Index

The offical economic figures don't adequately explain peoples day to day reality of being overworked, high debt, it takes two people to support a family, etc.

The Fed rate cuts are trying to pump more air into the balloon, but the balloon is going to eventually burst no matter what they do.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:17 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
We have fully entered the era of Soviet and 1984 newspeak.

There is NO inflation AND we have a ROBUST economy, all thanks to our Great Leaders.

Why do you Anti-Americans hate freedom?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:20 AM

Default For Philip T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
We have fully entered the era of Soviet and 1984 newspeak.

There is NO inflation AND we have a ROBUST economy, all thanks to our Great Leaders.

Why do you Anti-Americans hate freedom?

YouTube - Soviet National Anthem

Yes comrade. I will question no longer. I will only speak of the greatness of the Sovie........................I mean America.

Last edited by baystater; 11-01-2007 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics