Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM

4,514 posts, read 4,040,229 times

Advertisements

How would this effect the cost of housing? Would most people even own or rent a house if they didn't need to sleep? Do we all individually own and rent for the primary reason that we need a safe place to sleep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Is the only thing you use your house for is sleeping?

Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
A better question is how would that affect productivity. More time to work and more time to play!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Is the only thing you use your house for is sleeping?
I don't know about the OP but there's been times when I've used my home more for a place to have sex than sleep. If no one had a home, they'd be having sex out and about... no one wants that.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 AM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
How would this effect the cost of housing? Would most people even own or rent a house if they didn't need to sleep? Do we all individually own and rent for the primary reason that we need a safe place to sleep?
The presumption behind your question is that because one wouldn't need 'sleep' one wouldn't need shelter. It would simply mean housing choices would be significantly smaller as the space dedicated to sleeping quarters would be eliminated as well as clothing conventionally referred to as 'sleep wear' by a significant amount.

Do you also presume that individuals wouldn't want a private domicile or 'nest'? As another commentor mentioned private quarters are much preferred by most of general population for sexual recreation (except for a few exhibitionists).

Old 03-22-2013, 12:30 AM

391 posts, read 840,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I couldn't imagine a 2 month old never sleeping, sounds like a nightmare.

Houses would be much smaller to non exsistant. Like the example I gave above, it would get annoying having to hold or push around a 2 month old for 24/7. Sleep gives moms and dads breaks from the baby! lol

As an individual, never having to sleep sounds like a dream. I could actually spend time on what I want to learn instead rushing it like everyone wants.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The Industrial Revolution has been replaced by the Economic Revolution, which has a whole different dynamic.

To wit: The objective of the Industrial R3evolution was to produce constant output with less work, thanks to the miracle of the machine. The objective of the Economic Revolution is to produce more output with constant work. The operative word there is Constant Work, and if there are more hours of work that can be squeezed out of the Human Resources (that's what Humans are, like coal deposits and timber), then it will be.

It is outdated thinking, that human life has anything to gain by people being awake but not utilized enhancing the economy. There is no place in the paradigm for thinking like that, and there can only be harmful effects from letting people have the leisure to ponder something other than where they will get the money to pay Aarons for the rental of their wall-mounted TV.

In "1984", Orwell's Big Brother appeared on living room screens, with no on-off switch to mute his pronouncements of conventional wisdom. And in Plantation America, slaves could not walk away. Neither is now necessary. People decline to use the switch to turn off Big Brother, and slaves decline to walk away from the workplace.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Gotta love these hypotheticals!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:22 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Houses are to store your stuff in, watch TV, cook (or are these non sleepers not going to eat, either?).

You house is to have a place to have some privacy. No one can tolerate being bumped and shoved by the masses on the sidewalk 24 hours every day. Sometimes you just don't want to relate at the moment.

It's a place to work on hobbies and a safe yard for the dog and the kids. It's a place to entertain your friends without everyone else around you watching or commenting on your cooking. It's a place to get out of the weather. It's not fun standing under a tree in the park during a blizzard.

I don't even think houses would get smaller. The bed does not take up all that many square feet of the building.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
I think, even if I didn't need to sleep, I would still want a bed. Where else would I read books most comfortably?

I imagine though, if sleep were not necessary, employers would soon demand that employees work 90 hour weeks with no overtime and the 18 hour work day would be the new standard. Maybe I am paranoid but it seems to me that individuals would end up not owning much of that extra time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics