Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:45 PM

723 posts, read 2,192,944 times

Advertisements

I dunno. I guess I agree but it depends. I have my own reasons for wanting to live in the city. When I go out into the country, it's great for me to drive through, look at. And the space is envyable, but i'm just not a fan of having to drive to get to "civilization" as I call it, to city centers and such. I'm carfree by choice and I really enjoy the lifestyle. The local bus system is great so I can really go where I need to and I get lots of exercise. But cities, for me, are unbeatable. The views (for architecture fans), the broad array of options (luxury shops to bargin eats). I like the feeling of premium. The closer to the core, the hotter the properties.

The opportunities are unbeatable as well. Sure, I could move out to Bumblescum, Alabama (for family guy fans) but will I find a job with my skillset out there or drive 2 hours to work? Probably nothing that I want. In a large metro, your choices are limitless if you have the skills, and new opportunities are popping up every day. I get cheap thrills competing in environments such as these. To be able to survive in environments such as these with well educated, highly motivated folks makes it all worth it. That's why they say that if you can make it in new york, you can make it anywhere (although I don't live in NY). Some of the brightest, wealthiest individuals on the planet congregate to duke it out.

Last edited by Xeon1210; 04-15-2013 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 09:45 AM

359 posts, read 779,197 times
I moved from Los Angeles, Ca to Houston, TX.

I spent over 8 years in Los Angeles. Living in a condo / townhouse.
I bought a home in Houston within 3 months of moving into the city.

My rent for a 1400 sq ft 20 yr old condo in LA was about the same as my Mortgage for a 5000 sq ft brand new house in Houston. And guess what, I am increasing my equity with every passing month.

The utilities are cheaper.

Of course there are cons to the equation -
Location. Things to do.

But financially, I wish I had made this decision 8 years ago.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,373,072 times
You are where you live. Aim high...

Old 04-19-2013, 07:50 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
yes, a person is better off making way more money in a expensive city if the city offers that job at a high rate of pay. and yes, that person can move to a less populated area upon retirement. but my point in the whole thread that i started is that, that person's kid, and grandkid, might stay at the city and you move, or you stay and they move. that creates lots of issues if your kids and grandkids are scattered all across the country. If you can work on wall street and live in new york, but one of your kids are not smart enough to finish college, only to struggle in new york, of course they are going to move.
There are those problems, no doubt.
One advantage is that a major city is much easier to get to, if people move away. It's better than everyone being in some far away place.
Also, there are training opportunities that may be better in NY. Probably some of their hair styling schools and designing schools and police training facilities are well respected around the country if a person wanted to train there and then move elsewhere.

If you are a kid struggling in NY, but still have your parent's support, would you really find a better vocation out in the burbs where there is less of everything?

Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Well I am from MI and it is an upper scale area. I have been living in Thousand Oaks CA which is similar. Neither are small towns but in TO it is so expensive and for that expense you don't get as much even. What amazed me when I moved here is how many hours people work to afford the living and then add on long commutes for many. I rent an apartment and some of my neighbors were saying how they will always have to rent because homes that are nice in the area are so expensive. Many of the jobs in CA don't pay much if any more then in MI. Especially people who work at lets say retail I have no clue how they make it. I saw the other post response saying they would rather have a roommate and live in the big city but for myself having a roommate would not be something I would like so everyone is different. Also if moving to X place is going to cause debt or worries of making ends meet that could add so much stress. People are different in terms of long goals some are ok renting and living pay check to pay check and some not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics