Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,682 times

Advertisements

I cant find a better forum to put it on, it has more to do with finances.

anyways I have lived in 4 cities before, from a very expensive area (boston) to a cheaper area (spokane area, WA). and i have lived in an area where the city population is 1.5 million. the way i see it, I liked to be in a city, theres more to do, things to see, and people around you to distract you so time goes by quicker. and of course, there is a basketball/football/baseball team to root for so one feels like they are a part of that city.

the folks who lives in small cities or towns, its gets boring, unless they like the outdoors. there is not much to do, and some dont have good jobs.

but the biggest things that i see is that in big cities, lots of folks have to struggle to live in a small place, and some have to live in an bad area. and the folks there still want to be there since there is lots to do, but without money, most of the time they are just window shopping when they go to their downtowns. you just have to be making good money to have a good life, whereas in a small city or town, its better off for folks who dont make much money, but they get bored.

how do you view it? im stuck in a situation where i want to live in boston, and i have friends that was born and raised in Hawaii, nyc, but cant go back because its too costly there. we know once we go there we have to struggle, and our kids, grandkids will struggle. its only getting worse, even if a person has a house that they bought for cheap, then got lucky and the house now is worth a million dollars, they still cant live a good life if their kids or grand-kids are living in a tiny studio or is homeless, as some of my friends told me in Hawaii, they know people who sold their homes and left there, and most jobs there dont pay enough to support a good life, hence all the homelessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 02:38 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
City girls just seem to find out early
How to open doors with just a smile

Late at night a big old house gets lonely
I guess ev'ry form of refuge has its price

On the other side of town a boy is waiting

Eagles - Lying Eyes -HD - YouTube

Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM

25,559 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Civic, do you need a real passion of some sort? Seems to me that you're kind of footloose.

Another thing: Look at the kind of work you do. Doesn't it pay more in the city? Or is really all the same in your field? I followed the money and went where it led me (I'm a lot older than you) and I am glad I did. I took new assignments, promotions, opportunities - whatever presented itself. BY the time I retired I had visited 49 states and 18 foreign countries.

I dunno - just some thoughts.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Large cities often have cheaper groceries and dining options. The expense comes in when you factor housing/rent. It depends on your career also. I know a lot of people making $100k to $400k, which they wouldn't make in a small town.

Bottom line, do what makes you happy. I would much rather spend $1,000 to rent a room in a shared apartment in Boston than pay $1,000 to rent a McMansion in rural Kansas. That's me though. If I were to start a family, it would be a different story. Why not settle for somewhere in between such as Houston or Orlando.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 PM

29,820 posts, read 24,885,583 times
You can live cheap in the city if you shop around and research. Only suckers and out of towners pay full price

And you don't have to live in the ghetto to find affordable housing. Living close enough however will help you stretch your dollar. Again, research...

I've lived in the city, in the suburbs, and in the middle of nowhere. I prefer the city, especially when I found out how to live there affordably. More money left over to actually enjoy the amenities.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,998 times
There are definitely affordable cities out there- particularly the old Rust Belt cities which still offer a tonne of amenities while not breaking the bank!

For instance, the predominant reason DH & I moved back to St. Louis after he got out of the military was the super low cost of living coupled with the wonderful array of things to do from professional sporting events (Cardinals, Rams, Blues) to Museums, Galleries, Unique Restaurants and Shopping Experiences, Architecture and History. It's not on the scale of Boston or New York City, of course, but still offers a sample of 'everything' at a fraction of the price.

DH & I spent 4+ years in a small-ish military town in North Carolina and there is no way in the world I could do that again, or raise a family in a place like that. Like you, I'm not an 'outdoors' person and was bored half to death in 'podunktown', North Carolina! The cost of living wasn't actually lower, either. Groceries, gas and housing were actually more expensive there than they were in parts of larger cities throughout the state (mainly due to being a military town). Plus, the lifestyle was so subpar, in my personal opinion, that even if it was cheaper than living in a larger city, any cost advantage wouldn't be worth it due to the lack of cultural amenities.

My advice is to start looking at affordable city options- St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, among others offer lower prices than the North East while not being small-town-boring!

Good luck to you

Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
My advice is to start looking at affordable city options- St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, among others offer lower prices than the North East while not being small-town-boring!
Good post

I thought I'd add a few more moderate cost cities to your already good list:

Cleveland, Columbus, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston.

I was skeptical about Cleveland but my bf insists that it's a lot nicer than its reputation and the COL there is quite cheap.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
I agree -- if you want city life at a lower price you look at the mid-size cities. There are a lot of urban options that don't cost an arm and a leg.

But, if you have your heart set on a specific city, if you're flexible and are willing to make some sacrifices you may still be able to make it work.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
If you can live in an affordable place in the city and your vocation pays a lot more in the city, then you are better off, no? I mean, you can invest that extra money and have a lot more at retirement and upon retirement move to a less populated area, if you like, which will be less expensive, and live well.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
If you can live in an affordable place in the city and your vocation pays a lot more in the city, then you are better off, no? I mean, you can invest that extra money and have a lot more at retirement and upon retirement move to a less populated area, if you like, which will be less expensive, and live well.
yes, a person is better off making way more money in a expensive city if the city offers that job at a high rate of pay. and yes, that person can move to a less populated area upon retirement. but my point in the whole thread that i started is that, that person's kid, and grandkid, might stay at the city and you move, or you stay and they move. that creates lots of issues if your kids and grandkids are scattered all across the country. If you can work on wall street and live in new york, but one of your kids are not smart enough to finish college, only to struggle in new york, of course they are going to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics