Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times

Advertisements

Car Loans Grow Longer as Prices Rise - WSJ.com

The average price of a new car is now $31,000, up $3,000 in the past four years. But at the same time, the average monthly car payment edged down, to $460 from $465—the result of longer loan terms and lower interest rates.

What is there to say?

You must now compete with those whose only virtue is the willingness to take on long term debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 AM

213 posts, read 728,367 times
only buy a car with an all cash payment?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Eight years? Who wants to still be making payments on an 8-year old car? Buy an 8-year old car now, and don't make any payments on it.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post
only buy a car with an all cash payment?
That's what i would do. The concept one needs a shiny vacuum cleaner to go to work is an entitlement. If your job does not allow you the ability to afford to buy the vacuum cleaner of your choice in order to get to work it merely means you cannot expect to go to work in that particular vacuum cleaner. Why that realization bruises the ego of the average dope is beyond me...

And before someone gets facetious and tries to suggest there is "wisdom" in financing the vacuum cleaner, let's get it clear that even at zero percent interest, these dopes aren't financing cars to put the untouched liquid into higher interest earning financial vehicles. They are doing specifically and precisely because they live paycheck to paycheck but still believe they should be able to enjoy the luxury of driving a new vaccuum cleaner in spite of their meager income. They're not about to give themselves a lifestyle shave just because the money supply became diluted over 3 decades.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Eight years? Who wants to still be making payments on an 8-year old car? Buy an 8-year old car now, and don't make any payments on it.
I know you were joking, but you know it's not about the 8 year old car. It's about driving a new car without having the means to purchase it outright. They also do not intend on keeping the vehicle that long. Someone in the background says "that's a lease!" and they'd be right. But people don't think that way. They don't want mileage restrictions or wear and tear clauses. They just want to feel upper class for a bit, and they'll roll right back into another loan on the replacement car in 4-5 years. That's why they agree to make payments for eight years. They know they'll be making payments for the rest of their lives so eight years is irrelevant.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM

213 posts, read 728,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
That's what i would do. The concept one needs a shiny vacuum cleaner to go to work is an entitlement. If your job does not allow you the ability to afford to buy the vacuum cleaner of your choice in order to get to work it merely means you cannot expect to go to work in that particular vacuum cleaner. Why that realization bruises the ego of the average dope is beyond me...

And before someone gets facetious and tries to suggest there is "wisdom" in financing the vacuum cleaner, let's get it clear that even at zero percent interest, these dopes aren't financing cars to put the untouched liquid into higher interest earning financial vehicles. They are doing specifically and precisely because they live paycheck to paycheck but still believe they should be able to enjoy the luxury of driving a new vaccuum cleaner in spite of their meager income. They're not about to give themselves a lifestyle shave just because the money supply became diluted over 3 decades.
I agree 100%. Worst case i would take a 36 month loan

i dont understand buying the "best". I buy the best for my buck and also doing so while looking for sales.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Look at the history of home loans.

In the early 1900s, home loans were 50% down for 5 years.
In the '30s, the 30 year loan was created, but most people still were getting shorter loans through the 60s.
After that, as interest rates rose, most people moved toward longer loans.
Today, interest rates are low again, but people still stay with the longer loans so they can afford more house than at any point in history before.
I've heard that some companies now offer a 40 year mortgage.

Look at other parts of the world. Japan now has a 100 year mortgage.

As the price of vehicles rises, this will be the trend in automobiles as well.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A while back I bought a (then) 7yo Subaru Outback for one easy payment of $4200 cash. It had a few issues, some cosmetic; but I've had it for nearly 6 years now and I plan on continuing to drive it for several more years.

Right now someone is driving around in my next used Subaru.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Look at the history of home loans.

In the early 1900s, home loans were 50% down for 5 years.
In the '30s, the 30 year loan was created, but most people still were getting shorter loans through the 60s.
After that, as interest rates rose, most people moved toward longer loans.
Today, interest rates are low again, but people still stay with the longer loans so they can afford more house than at any point in history before.
I've heard that some companies now offer a 40 year mortgage.

Look at other parts of the world. Japan now has a 100 year mortgage.

As the price of vehicles rises, this will be the trend in automobiles as well.
Yep. Modern day slavery. The voluntary kind. Scary.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:20 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Car Loans Grow Longer as Prices Rise - WSJ.com
The average price of a new car is now $31,000, up $3,000 in the past four years. But at the same time, the average monthly car payment edged down, to $460 from $465—the result of longer loan terms and lower interest rates.

What is there to say?

You must now compete with those whose only virtue is the willingness to take on long term debt.

and find a car you want to pay for/drive/maintain for 8+ years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics