U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
18,166 posts, read 16,619,644 times
Reputation: 18146

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Andy, While I applaud this post, you do realize it is considered a progressive (liberal) ideology? Nothing frustrates me than someone claiming so and so shouldn't get paid that much, but the CEO of company x (JC Penny) gets 68 million for a year and he earned it, really? At a time when the American middle class is heading for its demise we need to honor labor, and a worker who can provide for a family without governments assistance.
I certainly would not classify myself as liberal. I consider this statement more of a reflection of common sense. Various handouts are being taken into consideration when determining fair labor costs. You would see mass protest if the masses were working for an income that wouldn't even support a place to sleep, let alone various 1st world amenities that have made this such a desirable destination for people abroad. Either COL would drop to support readjusting wage structures, or workers would demand, en mass, for better compensation. Employers have realized just as much as deadbeats that these handouts can be taken advantage of. Just have the taxpayer make up the difference...

I don't like the idea of the taxpayer being bilked any less than any other conservative. Unfortunately, many of my conservative counterparts have their heads in the sand on this issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
18,286 posts, read 21,474,074 times
Reputation: 41136
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Andy, While I applaud this post, you do realize it is considered a progressive (liberal) ideology? Nothing frustrates me than someone claiming so and so shouldn't get paid that much, but the CEO of company x (JC Penny) gets 68 million for a year and he earned it, really? At a time when the American middle class is heading for its demise we need to honor labor, and a worker who can provide for a family without governments assistance.
Well doesn't Sam Walton's decendants need to honor their employees with sustainable wages for said families to provide for themselves without assistance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Furthermore, those directing and administrating these give-away programs WANT to give away the money, to enhance their own careers and show that the many give-aways are vital and necessary. I personally was ordered to only enter into the file information that would result in an approval. In the time I administered this particular program, we gave away about $2 million (from a tax on mortgages and refinances that personally cost me over $1,500) and NOT A SINGLE application was denied.
Therein lays one of the problems with government waste.

Having said all that I do think the FS program needs to have limits on what is eligible candy, soda pop, chips are not necessities sorry. They also should allow a certain part of their stamps to buy paper & cleaning products like toilet paper, tissues, shampoo, bar, laundry & dish soap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 PM
 
374 posts, read 655,166 times
Reputation: 359
And its funny because our homie in office says that a person should be able to make minimum wage, work minimum full time hours, marry a non worker, spit out two kids, and have a comfortable life.

No.

Improve yourself. Either be smart or work harder, longer hours. Stay single. Don't have kids you can't afford. You are paid exactly what you are worth as the market dictates.

If you cannot survive on your own as a grown adult, then Darwin would like to speak with you.

We have made it to the point where half of our budget is handouts which we cannot afford. Throw up some more waste in the wars and military, and here we are. Crying about a little $85 billion cut to the government tit.


By the way, I have seen plenty of EBT folks hop into their shiny escalades after picking up crab legs in the store. Programs like this will always be exploited.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,424 posts, read 20,364,110 times
Reputation: 3638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
And its funny because our homie in office says that a person should be able to make minimum wage, work minimum full time hours, marry a non worker, spit out two kids, and have a comfortable life.

No.

Improve yourself. Either be smart or work harder, longer hours. Stay single. Don't have kids you can't afford. You are paid exactly what you are worth as the market dictates.

If you cannot survive on your own as a grown adult, then Darwin would like to speak with you.

We have made it to the point where half of our budget is handouts which we cannot afford. Throw up some more waste in the wars and military, and here we are. Crying about a little $85 billion cut to the government tit.


By the way, I have seen plenty of EBT folks hop into their shiny escalades after picking up crab legs in the store. Programs like this will always be exploited.
I don't know about anyone else but when I'm standing in the checkout at the grocery it's none of my business how the person in front of me is paying or what they are buying and I sure don't sit there and stare at them when they are entering payment pin and such. If I catch you staring at me when I'm about to enter my pin I will ask you to turn away. The nerve of some people!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 PM
 
805 posts, read 1,069,264 times
Reputation: 718
"Spending on SNAP has doubled in the past four years and tripled in the past decade, surpassing $78 billion last year. A record 47 million Americans receive the benefit—including 13,752 in Woonsocket, one third of the town’s population."

But how much of that increase is attributable to population growth and inflation? Certainly food prices have increased in recent years. Also, the record 47 million doesn't tell you much because you don't know if and how much of the increase is due to population growth. A more relevant metric would be the percent of the population receiving food stamps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 PM
 
374 posts, read 655,166 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I don't know about anyone else but when I'm standing in the checkout at the grocery it's none of my business how the person in front of me is paying or what they are buying and I sure don't sit there and stare at them when they are entering payment pin and such. If I catch you staring at me when I'm about to enter my pin I will ask you to turn away. The nerve of some people!
k
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
18,166 posts, read 16,619,644 times
Reputation: 18146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
And its funny because our homie in office says that a person should be able to make minimum wage, work minimum full time hours, marry a non worker, spit out two kids, and have a comfortable life.
So does Walmart. Yes, the savings is passed on to the customer. At their expense. As well as their children's expense. The Walton's make out like bandits though. Their low, low prices are directly contributing to our lower and lower standard of living.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
By the way, I have seen plenty of EBT folks hop into their shiny escalades after picking up crab legs in the store. Programs like this will always be exploited.
EBT programs aren't available to those who have over 2K in savings or a vehicle valued over 4K, last time I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
"Spending on SNAP has doubled in the past four years and tripled in the past decade, surpassing $78 billion last year. A record 47 million Americans receive the benefit—including 13,752 in Woonsocket, one third of the town’s population."

But how much of that increase is attributable to population growth and inflation? Certainly food prices have increased in recent years. Also, the record 47 million doesn't tell you much because you don't know if and how much of the increase is due to population growth. A more relevant metric would be the percent of the population receiving food stamps.
I'm sure the whole, 1 out of 6 Americans receiving SNAP or it's equivalent has something to do with it... But hey, we have a president who just loves the idea of importing even more poverty to guarantee more democrat votes. He's the gift that will keep on giving for years after he leaves office.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 11:01 AM
 
374 posts, read 655,166 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So does Walmart. Yes, the savings is passed on to the customer. At their expense. As well as their children's expense. The Walton's make out like bandits though. Their low, low prices are directly contributing to our lower and lower standard of living.
People seem to be willing to work at Walmart. They are valued exactly as much as they are paid. Labor is just like any other expense. Either improve the value of your time or work more hours.

It would also be advisable not to reproduce until you can figure out how to do that.

How much money the CEO or owner of a profitable company makes is irrelevant.

Quote:

EBT programs aren't available to those who have over 2K in savings or a vehicle valued over 4K, last time I checked.
Sounds like another highly enforced rule. Don't kid yourself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Cold Springs, NV
4,575 posts, read 10,645,677 times
Reputation: 5061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
People seem to be willing to work at Walmart. They are valued exactly as much as they are paid. Labor is just like any other expense. Either improve the value of your time or work more hours.

It would also be advisable not to reproduce until you can figure out how to do that.

How much money the CEO or owner of a profitable company makes is irrelevant.



Sounds like another highly enforced rule. Don't kid yourself.
I think you fail to comprehend the context of taxpayer subsidized employees providing corporate profit? The fact that Walmart, and others profit from these taxpayer subsides does make it relevant. And making personal attacks against a posters reproduction understanding does not make your argument more credible, but less.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 12:07 PM
 
374 posts, read 655,166 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I think you fail to comprehend the context of taxpayer subsidized employees providing corporate profit? The fact that Walmart, and others profit from these taxpayer subsides does make it relevant.
Well end the handouts and the market will determine labor rates.

We are caught up into thinking that "poor" means unable to afford extended cable and restaurant food every night.

Quote:
And making personal attacks against a posters reproduction understanding does not make your argument more credible, but less.
what? It was a comment regarding how an individual shpuld not add extra expenses (children) while scraping by at Walmart. Don't get emotional over nothing.

Read first, then post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top