U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2013, 04:00 PM
 
805 posts, read 1,071,582 times
Reputation: 718

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm sure the whole, 1 out of 6 Americans receiving SNAP or it's equivalent has something to do with it... But hey, we have a president who just loves the idea of importing even more poverty to guarantee more democrat votes. He's the gift that will keep on giving for years after he leaves office.
But how does the 1 out of 6 Americans receiving SNAP compare to prior years? That is the question the article doesn't ultimately address.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2013, 04:23 PM
 
33,862 posts, read 22,580,551 times
Reputation: 56729
We are all subsidizing big corporations who pay their workers next to nothing. Many people on food stamps work Full-time jobs, some more than one, and still make so little they qualify for food stamps. I work in an assisted living facility /nursing home, and while I have a good salary, many of the CNA's (certified nurse's aides) get assistance whether food stamps or heating assistance or health insurance for their kids, because even when they sign up for extra shifts they don't make enough. This is no longer just a problem of so called welfare queens, or inner city people who don't work, it's the new America of low-skilled, low paying jobs.

It was different in the old days. Many of the residents of the assisted living had "regular" jobs, were store managers for 50 years, telephone operators, etc, yet still made enough to save enough to move into a $3000 a month apartment in retirement. Now those regular jobs pay enough to barely scrape by, meanwhile corporations post record profits and pay out record bonuses while selling us out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 PM
 
805 posts, read 1,071,582 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We are all subsidizing big corporations who pay their workers next to nothing. Many people on food stamps work Full-time jobs, some more than one, and still make so little they qualify for food stamps. I work in an assisted living facility /nursing home, and while I have a good salary, many of the CNA's (certified nurse's aides) get assistance whether food stamps or heating assistance or health insurance for their kids, because even when they sign up for extra shifts they don't make enough. This is no longer just a problem of so called welfare queens, or inner city people who don't work, it's the new America of low-skilled, low paying jobs.

It was different in the old days. Many of the residents of the assisted living had "regular" jobs, were store managers for 50 years, telephone operators, etc, yet still made enough to save enough to move into a $3000 a month apartment in retirement. Now those regular jobs pay enough to barely scrape by, meanwhile corporations post record profits and pay out record bonuses while selling us out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 AM
 
Location: "Daytonnati"
4,244 posts, read 6,429,662 times
Reputation: 2996
Quote:
We are all subsidizing big corporations who pay their workers next to nothing. Many people on food stamps work Full-time jobs, some more than one, and still make so little they qualify for food stamps. I work in an assisted living facility /nursing home, and while I have a good salary, many of the CNA's (certified nurse's aides) get assistance whether food stamps or heating assistance or health insurance for their kids, because even when they sign up for extra shifts they don't make enough. This is no longer just a problem of so called welfare queens, or inner city people who don't work, it's the new America of low-skilled, low paying jobs.

It was different in the old days. Many of the residents of the assisted living had "regular" jobs, were store managers for 50 years, telephone operators, etc, yet still made enough to save enough to move into a $3000 a month apartment in retirement. Now those regular jobs pay enough to barely scrape by, meanwhile corporations post record profits and pay out record bonuses while selling us out.
Truley excellent post. Thanks! This does tell it like it is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM
 
374 posts, read 656,795 times
Reputation: 359
working at walmart is not a career.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2013, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
18,406 posts, read 16,734,836 times
Reputation: 18381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
working at walmart is not a career.
Yea, but at the rate things are going, it's going to be the only thing left anymore.

In 1970, GM was America's largest employer. Today, that title goes to Walmart. I happen to think we were better off decades ago in that regard. The last thing I would want to do is sit at a hydraulic press 10 hours a day getting splashed with grease and fluid, but I would take that over Walmart any day of the week. Reason being... It used to put food on the table. Today, the masses really don't have a choice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 PM
 
7,281 posts, read 9,694,994 times
Reputation: 11467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Link: Food stamp nation

What an eye-opener!!!

How long can taxpayers subsidize food stamps - looks like these people have no recourse but to be dependent 100% on Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
Think of food stamps as voting vouchers and then it becomes much easier to figure it out. For each person getting food stamps, that is almost a guaranteed vote for those promising the benefit.

Pretty cheap way to buy votes don't you think? It doesn't cost supporters a dime, taxpayers fund the entire operation. Suddenly, every taxpayer is now funding the campaigns of those promising the food stamp benefits. it couldn't be more blatant unless you handed out the food stamps when people voted.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2013, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Cold Springs, NV
4,575 posts, read 10,694,865 times
Reputation: 5066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Think of food stamps as voting vouchers and then it becomes much easier to figure it out. For each person getting food stamps, that is almost a guaranteed vote for those promising the benefit.

Pretty cheap way to buy votes don't you think? It doesn't cost supporters a dime, taxpayers fund the entire operation. Suddenly, every taxpayer is now funding the campaigns of those promising the food stamp benefits. it couldn't be more blatant unless you handed out the food stamps when people voted.
The exception to this are trailers nationwide with televisions tuned to Fux news for indoctrination to support the cause of the 1%.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2013, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
18,406 posts, read 16,734,836 times
Reputation: 18381
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The exception to this are trailers nationwide with televisions tuned to Fux news for indoctrination to support the cause of the 1%.
Strange how the red states suck up the most in federal subsidies...

Also strange, the harder I have worked, the more money I have made. I look around my peers who have consistently put in a subpar workday, and whined perpetually about their low income earning potential. Those were always the ones who whined the most about the "1%".

There's no denying that the wealthiest members of society are collecting the bulk of the gain. I would also suggest that there is a large portion of the population that is playing the victim card while making a poor effort towards achieving their own slice of the pie. Basically, a lot of people are poor for a reason. All many are good for is excuses. Not so sure I can feel sorry for them in that regard.

I will say, this is a terrible time to be an American if you expect someone else to hand you your prosperity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top