Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times

Advertisements

I was thinking that the honest governments in the world, the ones that don't make their economy flourish by protecting other nation's criminals (had to define that narrouwly), should just agree to have nothing whatever to do those that make a business out of hiding the bounty of drug cartels, blood diamond merchants, kleptocrat dictators, and tax cheats. Buy nothing from them, sell them nothing, not honor their passports, not clear citizens for travel to them. Basically put them in a deep freeze so that they pay a heavy price for the dirty money they get. It did occur to me that Iran and North Korea might open their doors for business in this scenario. They are both already under heavy sanctions. But this would be a way to save places like Cyprus from becoming sick economies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I
the honest governments in the world
and you really think there are some?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
They do. The reason offshore tax havens work is because there are so few of them, that there is a substantial industry for them to have all for themselves. If every country had opaque banking, the tax havens would be out of business, which is apparently what you want. Do you want the state to know how much money you have and believe the state has that right?

The Cayman Islands are the Nevada of world commerce, whose economy flourishes by protecting criminals who want to do what is against the law in their own states.

If you live in a state that bans gambling or prostitution, are the people criminals who go to Nevada and do it legally? Be careful how you use the word 'criminal'.

Quote:
not clear citizens for travel to them.
Apparently, you've been here 4ever. That is a concept that is uniquely American. Every other country in the world lets their citizens go wherever they please (except for a few of the other tyrannies) and it would never even occur to them to criminalize freedom of movement around the globe, or not "clear" their citizens for travel abroad.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-18-2013 at 08:42 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 06:31 AM

795 posts, read 1,391,576 times
Quote:
I was thinking that the honest governments in the world, the ones that don't make their economy flourish by protecting other nation's criminals (had to define that narrouwly), should just agree to have nothing whatever to do those that make a business out of hiding the bounty of drug cartels, blood diamond merchants, kleptocrat dictators, and tax cheats. Buy nothing from them, sell them nothing, not honor their passports, not clear citizens for travel to them. Basically put them in a deep freeze so that they pay a heavy price for the dirty money they get. It did occur to me that Iran and North Korea might open their doors for business in this scenario. They are both already under heavy sanctions. But this would be a way to save places like Cyprus from becoming sick economies.
You do a lot of weird thinking.

1. Iran and North Korea are very unlikely to become offshore tax havens. They would have to reduce their tax rates too much. Even if they did, no one would do business with them. Offshore banking clients prefer politically stable regions, and those countries offer no competitive advantage over the Cayman Islands, Bahamas, Dominica, etc.

2. It would have nothing to do with Cyprus' economy. Offshore banking is great for the economies that engage in it.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
There are not a lot of places to bank drug money, if that is what you are hiding. Many countries won't even accept bank deposits for US citizens because they don't want to deal with the paperwork imposed by the USA.

Even the most secretive banks will give information (with proper warrant) concerning terrorist money or drug money.

There are plenty of reasons to have off shore banking accounts that have nothing to do with drugs or terrorism.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,333 times
Hey All.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I have a few questions about offshore accounts in the Cayman Islands.
1. I was looking as a group called Pan offshore legal, I am wanting to know are they a scam or are they legit ? Has anyone have any had any dealings with them ?

2. I am in my early 20s and I am wanting to open up a offshore account ( I am a seafarer ) or even better a Trust fund from the Cayman Islands, can anyone advise me on who i should consider and is trust worthy ?

Thanks for your help.
Kind Regards
David

Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviddebacker View Post
Hey All.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I have a few questions about offshore accounts in the Cayman Islands.
1. I was looking as a group called Pan offshore legal, I am wanting to know are they a scam or are they legit ? Has anyone have any had any dealings with them ?

2. I am in my early 20s and I am wanting to open up a offshore account ( I am a seafarer ) or even better a Trust fund from the Cayman Islands, can anyone advise me on who i should consider and is trust worthy ?

Thanks for your help.
Kind Regards
David
Don't have any answers, David, but I do have questions:
Why do you want to do that? Is your money not taxed in the USA? If not, where are you taxed?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:27 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,576 times
Daviddebacker - The real question is, what country/countries do you hold citizenship?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Miami has always been a refuge for Latin Americans, a place to hide money! One of our best-kept dirty secrets in this country!

They can't build condo towers fast enough over there, and who are the buyers?

When Hugo Chavez came into power in Venezuela, the rich couldn't get to Miami fast enough! And do we care where their money came from? They could have operated the most disgusting slum buildings in Caracas, but we always lay out the red carpets for these crooks!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
but we always lay out the red carpets for these crooks!
Why are slum landlords crooks in Caracas, but not in Chicago or Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics