Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Bloomberg Business has an interest issue last month covering the housing market - Flips, No-look bids, 300 percent returns, What could possibly go wrong?
Another BS article...EXISTING home values in the Tampa, Florida area have barely moved up since 2003.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
40% of the buyers here in Las Vegas are Chinese! Others, out of state investors!

I know a real estate agent in town here, he shows no houses to locals! I wonder why!!!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
40% of the buyers here in Las Vegas are Chinese! Others, out of state investors!

I know a real estate agent in town here, he shows no houses to locals! I wonder why!!!
Anything can be done? Or we are renters forever? Many people don't even see it as a problem.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 AM

129 posts, read 250,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Another BS article...EXISTING home values in the Tampa, Florida area have barely moved up since 2003.
No, this is definitely happening in certain areas of the country. It just isn't in Tampa.

Austin, Seattle, Colorado Front Range ... Prices have gone up 35% around me in the last year, and homes are lucky to sit on the market a week.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Our neighbor just sold her home for $70,000 more than I paid for mine. We bought in December of 2010. All the homes on our street are similar in size, lot size is all the same, hers is a 3 bedroom 3 bath, ours is a 4 bedroom 3 bath. She had 17 people make offers on the home all of them for her asking price or higher. Of the 17 only 2 people wanted to do a non conventional deal by having her hold a note on the home. Her home appraised for $58,000 below what it sold. What I am seeing is people that can buy are buying homes and many have the money to make it happen.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:51 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
No, this is definitely happening in certain areas of the country. It just isn't in Tampa.

Austin, Seattle, Colorado Front Range ... Prices have gone up 35% around me in the last year, and homes are lucky to sit on the market a week.
Well, that's not normal. I'm in a 'hot' zip code in Seattle and prices have gone up in the low-mid single digits over the past year and a half, 10% tops. The median price has increased quite a bit, but that's only because there are fewer bank sales, and a lot of the ones from a year ago were renovated and flipped in a much higher price range than before. That does not mean the price of every house has increased by leaps and bounds.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Real Estate is local and most statements that quote nationwide average are often as wrong as they are right.

The property I owned in a 'hot' area dropped only 13% in the crash but it gaining back 6% recently is good but not the same good news as it would have been before the drop.

The property I live in where the market stumbled badly dropped in value 25% and has not come back at all.

Nationwide statistics mean little in my case and if you look carefully at some of the great gains you will find they have a backdrop of big loses in recent years. Some people will time RE just right but the majority may not.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:35 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Concur, I will believe this so called rebound when I see it in Orlando area

Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 PM

621 posts, read 658,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Well, that's not normal. I'm in a 'hot' zip code in Seattle and prices have gone up in the low-mid single digits over the past year and a half, 10% tops. The median price has increased quite a bit, but that's only because there are fewer bank sales, and a lot of the ones from a year ago were renovated and flipped in a much higher price range than before. That does not mean the price of every house has increased by leaps and bounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Concur, I will believe this so called rebound when I see it in Orlando area

What we are seeing is the leading edge of a new bubble. It may or may not hit all markets but the longer it keeps going the more likely it is to come to a property near you.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:58 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
It never fails. A market (take any market for anything) goes up and corrects or crashes. Then people complain about the price drops. Same people then complain when others come in to buy. Same people then sit around waiting for a recovery. Same people then complain that people are buying all the while they sit around waiting for a recover. The these same people talk about another crash because prices are rising.

Here is how it works. You can sit around complaining and speculating about housing prices or you can buy low and if you want, sell high. One thing is certain, if you wait long enough, every possibility will happen. In the meanwhile, opportunities pass you by as you contemplate bubbles and so on. Later, when every possibility happens you can sit there rubbing hands together with the satisfaction that what you thought would eventually happen did happen. That you also missed out on the way markets work, in that they go up and down , will completely escape you.

Not everyone is in foreclosure. Not everyone got hurt by the housing bubble. Lots of people bought when prices fell. The people who say that in order for prices to be realistic they have to fall to before bubble numbers? That is realistic? Isn't this 2013? Do you also sit around waiting for bread to go back to 25 cents a loaf? It isn't going to happen.

So sit out opportunity. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything, you can always rent and pay someone else who bought and simply move your money from your account to theirs. Landlords love people who sit around saying there is a housing market bubble. In 5 years in lost of markets you will spend far more than $100,000 in rent. Now run that out say 15 years. Talk about living in a bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics