Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,561,995 times

Advertisements

Some of that I can agree with but I think the incomes are lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,656,608 times
I took the PBS quiz and scored 17. Typical 2. Whatever that means. I guess I grew up in a bubble of sorts.

This is an interesting thread. Of one thing, I'm certain: the question of class is not simply a question of how much money one has. It's much more complicated than that.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:54 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,198,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I am really surprised at the several posts that mentioned reading was discouraged. I find that horrifying!
Reading was considered "laziness" when I grew up, same with doing homework. School was pretty much a waste of time after age 12. I was often kept home, to do work around the house. College was not even considered for me. It was assumed I would work. I did go to college, which my Grandparents assumed it was because I was too lazy to get a real job...perhaps they were right.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,111 times
Great list of class definitions! Thank you. What really bothers me is the constant use of "working class" in the media. Working class seems so vague as to be worthless to me because almost everybody works! I prefer low/middle/upper class to provide some logic to the description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Crawley View Post
THE UNDERCLASS: Those on government assistance, migrant farm workers, those with menial unskilled manual labor jobs, considered the "scum of society". Commonly includes illegal immigrants. Most likely lives in urban ghettoes, rural trailer parks, and public housing projects in inner-city neighborhoods. Typically a high school dropout or has less than a ninth grade education. Always will rent, unless owning a rundown home in a violent area. About 12% of American population. Combined incomes of $12K-$20K common.

THE WORKING POOR: Service, low-rung clerical, and some blue-collar workers with minimal job security and almost no work autonomy. Includes fast food cooks, nursing home aides, childcare/daycare workers, dishwashers, receptionists, cashiers, janitors, grocery store clerks, etc. Is either a high school dropout or has a GED/HS diploma, though even those cases are rare. Most likely in government-subsidized housing, but considered the "screwed class", because they make too much for Medicaid but not enough to afford insurance. About 13% of American population. Combined incomes of $20K-$40K common.

THE WORKING CLASS: Regular blue collar, pink collar, and clerical workers with somewhat unstable job security and little work autonomy. Includes taxicab drivers, preschool teachers, butchers, teacher's aides, certified nursing aides/assistants, pharmacy and lab technicians, data entry, bank tellers, mail clerks, door-to-door salesmen, security guards, hairdressers, psychiatric aides, etc. Most likely rent, but may own a small modest home in a regular area. Typically has GED/HS diploma. Combined incomes of $40K-$60K common. The largest social class in America, comprising about 45% of the American population.

THE MIDDLE CLASS: Semi professionals like teachers, registered nurses, firefighters, police officers, social workers, clergymen, etc., as well as skilled trades craftsmen including electricians, plumbers, and carpenters. Generally good income with stable job security. Also includes technical workers. Most likely own and do not rent, and have decent/good-sized home (1200-3000 sq. ft. home) in safe neighborhood. Typically they have at least some college education, and most have a Bachelor's degree. Combined HHIs of $60K-$120K common. The second largest social class iN America, comprising about 20% of the American population.

THE UPPER MIDDLE CLASS: Highly educated white collar professionals with graduate/post-graduate degrees including university/college professors, doctors (general physicians), lawyers, bankers, stockbrokers, some CEO's and executives, marketing directors, etc. Generally have large work autonomy. Most likely own very good-sized house (3000-6000 sq. ft. home) in very safe neighborhood. Combined HHI's of $120K-$350K common. About 10% of the total American population.

THE CAPITALIST CLASS: Powerful figures such as celebrities, high-rung politicians, successful chain business owners, CEO's and other high-level corporate executives, movie stars, actors, famous singers, etc. Generally own the means of production/the highest work autonomy in work. Can live off of investments in stock and other market decisions and choices without any regular income luxuriously. Most likely own large mansion (over 6000 sq. ft. home) in a private, usually gated community. Combined HHI's of more than $350K. The most powerful group in America, yet a small minority class of just about 1-2% of the American population.

Marx defines classes by type of work and work autonomy.

LUMPEN PROLETARIAT: The "underclass" described here, usually does not work and is unemployed or has a job so minimal that it is usually under-the-table and does not largely affect the economy.

PROLETARIAT: The combined "working poor" and "working class" of blue collar and clerical workers with relatively low incomes and minimal job security/work autonomy.

PETIT BOURGEOISIE: The combined "middle class" and "upper middle class" of skilled trades craftsmen, semi professionals, and small business owners with generally good incomes and education.

BOURGEOISIE: The tiny but extremely powerful "capitalist class", or "the rich". Seen as a necessary evil by Marx, as they own the means of production over the proletariat and to a lesser extent, the petit bourgeoisie.

Yep.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:59 PM

8,842 posts, read 11,630,153 times
There is a class that rules them all: government bureaucrats.

1. They make and enforce rules that everyone else must play by, rich or poor.

2. They make a living from your hard work and sweat -- taxation.

3. They exist forever. Barons and Tycoons rise and fall. Companies might go out of business. Government bureaucracy don't.

Last edited by davidt1; 04-14-2017 at 06:12 PM..

Old 04-14-2017, 06:19 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,739,368 times
The older I get, the less I care about how well someone is doing, and care more about how they treat others.

One can be successful and kind or arrogant. One can be a loser and kind or arrogant. I know the stereotypes, and there are exceptions. A little self awareness is needed to conduct oneself better.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:42 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,779,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
There is a class that rules them all: government bureaucrats.

1. They make and enforce rules that everyone else must play by, rich or poor.

2. They make a living from your hard work and sweat -- taxation.

3. They exist forever. Barons and Tycoons rise and fall. Companies might go out of business. Government bureaucracy don't.

Very well put.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:27 AM

4,346 posts, read 2,765,479 times
Both my parents were in unions but our family never considered itself working class. My mother impressed on me a duty to do better than she and my father had, to rise in society. I never felt inferior or uncomfortable around my betters because I was never aware that they were my betters. Food was what it was: tasteless, bland and over-cooked. It was something to eat. My clothes was always the best my parents could afford, which they did by making do for themselves. Although my socks were darned as long as they could be held together. And my shoes were resoled until I outgrew them. But the were Bostonians, the best sold in our town. My mother sent me to piano lessons where I got a start in liking classical music. She always read stuff so I did, too. There were real working class kids in my school. Their parents worked jobs like mine had but they never expected nor were expected to better themselves. There were rich kids, too. Snobbishness was minimal, if present at all. I never even heard of classes of people until college, where it was considered a very important deal. Although what class the professors considered themselves a part of, and what class they really were, never seemed to give them cause for reflection.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:47 AM

19,954 posts, read 29,990,395 times
you get up at 4;30-5 am even on vaca if you get them

if....you change your own oil, do your own painting, lawn care..
and house projects

if...

you jump in to work and help and you don't have to

in gatherings you are asking others if they need a drink or appetizer

others will call to ask you questions and maybe for a little help now and then knowing they will return the favors

you could take care of yourself and not a girly-man or metro-sexual.....

common sense is still common sense

also you are the first in line to help others when needed

Old 04-15-2017, 05:23 PM

9,332 posts, read 6,866,407 times
America the land where kids go to school and pay 80g's for a BA in History only to graduate and become a TGIF waiter. Yet they still think they are middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics