Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 AM

382 posts, read 721,508 times

Advertisements

It's interesting to me that in the US, unlike the UK, people tend to avoid labeling themselves "working-class". Unless they were raised in extreme poverty or are Warren Buffett , Americans prefer the term "middle class". But having been raised in a blue-collar home, I've found there are some significant differences between my expectations and experiences in life when compared with my "middle-class" colleagues and friends.

Interestingly, even though my wife is a foreigner, I find she relates to many of these perspectives, as she also comes from a working-class background. Some shared traits/experiences I've noticed:

1) Very little education in how to use/create wealth. Frugal by necessity, but sometimes spendthrifts at payday. No sense of how to invest wisely. Generous, literally, to a fault (for example, by unconditionally lending money to relatives and friends). A lot of time spent visualizing being rich, or hatching hare-brained schemes/playing the lottery, etc.

2) Work is seen as necessary drudgery, not a means to personal fulfillment. Unions are our only defense / don't cross a picket line. Satisfaction is found in hobbies, family, or weekend tasks around the house. College is OK if it leads to a job, but you'd better get a scholarship, and parents can't help you navigate the labyrinth of applications, SATs, tutoring, and financial aid. Reading is an OK escape, but don't do it too much. The TV is always on.

3) "Don't think you're better than other people." Mistrust of "pretense," "elitism," and "fancy stuff." What's familiar (sports teams, neighborhoods, religions, race) is good. For example, domestic beer>boxed wine>any foreign stuff (unless there's an ethnic connection, i.e., Guinness if you're Irish-American). Food should be cheap & plentiful; healthy eating, not smoking and taking care of yourself is weak.

4) Not knowing "the Code." Tendency to over/under dress for the occasion, speak too frankly among wealthier people.

I don't encourage a class warfare mentality, nor do I romanticize growing up working class, but I find the differences interesting. Although I'm probably a "middle class latte-drinker" now , I'm sure I've internalized some of the values I was raised with.

What are your "growing up working-class" experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Make that "Working Class Background"

5) An irrational fear that you'll be judged by strangers for your poor grammar and spelling.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
I grew up middle-class, not working class. Many professionals work, but, are not working class. Are you describing yourself as having a working class mentality?

Old 05-02-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I grew up middle-class, not working class. Many professionals work, but, are not working class. Are you describing yourself as having a working class mentality?
Yeah, maybe I was presumptuous in using the term and assuming it was universally understood. By "growing up working class" I meant having been raised in a family of non-college educated, semi-skilled laborers (secretaries, plumbers, cops, etc.) and the attitudes that this sometimes engenders. Although I wouldn't say I have a working class mentality across the board, there are elements I can appreciate or understand.

I'll give you an example of what I meant: I was talking to a (raised middle-class) friend about Princeton, and mentioned that I sometimes felt uncomfortable there because of the people, and he couldn't get what I was describing. This feeling of discomfort or irritation around wealthy people is pretty pronounced if you come from a working class background, but if you are solidly middle class, you might not even notice it.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Quote:
) Not knowing "the Code." Tendency to over/under dress for the occasion, speak too frankly among wealthier people.

I learned about this in college. I come from a blue-collar background (first person in my family to go to college), and the college I went to was the "flagship" state university so was exposed to a lot of middle class people in college (whos parents were professionals, managers, teachers, etc...in other words the 2nd or 3rd generation or more of college educated people, not necessarily wealthier people), it became pretty obvious they were different than me in their POV, how they spoke and dressed.

This was obvious even in a place like Kentucky, the class distinction...and not even one of wealth, more breeding and education and what your parents did for a living and their (and your) social mileau.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Class is not easily understood in America for the fact that part of our public education includes the myth of America as a "classless society". Most of my co workers felt the need to define themselves as "middle class" even though they had little education, skills, or the awareness of how they appeared to their "betters". I grew up in a working class home, most of my friends were also of the working class, we knew of the upper class but not on any level that allowed us a view into their daily lives.

I've always been aware of the difference between those who had opportunity and those who didn't. It seems trivial at times to attempt a too clear definition of the two, most people wouldn't understand why anyone would need to. One aspect of this class delineation that allows for a little humor is the tendency of those in the moneyed class to think of unionized tradesmen, or even the lawn boys, as "greedy", or their views toward the poor that characterize the less fortunate as people who don't try hard enough, thereby giving themselves some kudos for their ability to attain their present lofty position in society.

I live in a small town that is just a river crossing away from a large metropolitan city, a locally made tee shirt has a logo on it that leaves no doubt as to the chasm between the two towns. A Mullet wearing fellow on the front of the tee proudly proclaims that he is very different from those "snobs" on the other side of the river. I always have to smile when someone I'm speaking with is trying too hard to let me know of their education credentials, "back in college" or "my Prof used to say..." Class is one of those things that make American's uneasy, it's always a little too close to home for most of us, and usually begs the question of your own social status..

Old 05-02-2013, 12:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
When you growup and you start to remember things your working class family taught you that you rarely thought meant much then.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:45 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Quote:
A Mullet wearing fellow on the front of the tee proudly proclaims that he is very different from those "snobs" on the other side of the river
..sounds like Auburn vs Lewiston, Maine. Lewiston being the working class town, and Auburn more middle class/managerial.

I

Old 05-02-2013, 12:51 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
Yeah, maybe I was presumptuous in using the term and assuming it was universally understood. By "growing up working class" I meant having been raised in a family of non-college educated, semi-skilled laborers (secretaries, plumbers, cops, etc.) and the attitudes that this sometimes engenders. Although I wouldn't say I have a working class mentality across the board, there are elements I can appreciate or understand.

I'll give you an example of what I meant: I was talking to a (raised middle-class) friend about Princeton, and mentioned that I sometimes felt uncomfortable there because of the people, and he couldn't get what I was describing. This feeling of discomfort or irritation around wealthy people is pretty pronounced if you come from a working class background, but if you are solidly middle class, you might not even notice it.
This is really getting to the heart of the matter. I do know of this feeling among those who work in the trades or do public service work. The slight/slow burn when confronted by anyone in the upper class, and yes, it isn't about the money, it's about ones perception of things. The fact that people of a certain class accept those around them who are similar in economic/social standing as equals is universal. A good friend of mine (well educated) was absolutely aghast over the discovery of what a university education cost, he came from wealth and the subject never came up, he assumed that those who didn't attend university were doing so by choice!

Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 PM

249 posts, read 503,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
the 2nd or 3rd generation or more of college educated people, not necessarily wealthier people), it became pretty obvious they were different than me in their POV, how they spoke and dressed.
I moved from a upper-middle class neighborhood to a poorer rural community for my job and noticed that many problems are someone else's fault. Growing up in my nicer neighborhood, when a kid failed a class, was overweight, did poorly at sports, etc, the parents taught him how to improve for next time. Down here in the same situation the blame is on the teacher, the doctor, the other team, etc. This isn't something a few people have shown me - it's a nearly universal aspect of this town.

I don't have quantifiable data, but in my experience, upper-middle class people tend to have a more positive attitude about life in general.

For the record my dad never had a college degree but managed a division in a medium-sized company, my mom was a part-time nurse, and education and lifelong learning was pressed hard upon my sister and I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics