Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I know this has been done recently, by Ghostly1, I think, on the Retirement board. But it didn't reference this link and it didn't make the connection between the economic turndown and suicide.

What I found even more interesting than the article were the comments at the end of the article -- about 940 comments. They are worth reading -- every single one -- only because I know this recession has been touching everyone, to a greater or lesser extent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/he...ply-in-us.html

Does anyone want to talk about this? Does anyone know someone who is middle-aged and jobless and struggling? What can we do to help at least our relatives and close friends who are desperate?
The comments section is a highly insightful look into what many Americans are going through.

I've seen the struggles (economically) with friends / family and co workers and have already been downsized twice myself in corporate world. I am very fortunate to have been raised by parents who experienced their formative years during the 'great depression' and who encouraged us to be frugal and also can manage easier since I am single with no dependents.

Let's look at the basic trends (perhaps this is what the book someone mentioned earlier alludes to):
1) Longer life expectancy
2) Compressed viable skill sets (rapidity at which skill sets are rendered obsolete)
3) Labors output being usurped by technological means at accelerating rate. (See Race Against The Machine, McAfee and Brynjolfsson)
4) Mass Socialization tools being used to dumb down and control populace (Watch The Century of Self BBC special from early 1990s on youtube)
5) Business Economic Financial system that measures success (growth) as more units, more transactions, more velocity at greater marginal unit profit as the 'holy grail' to riches. (the Hamster wheel for those who are trying to get somewhere based on 'old ways' of getting ahead.)

One note in context, most Americans who lived / worked between 1946 to 1973 and maybe a decade later do not realize they are an anomaly in world history, whereby, the majority of industrial production capacity was destroyed by WW2 and the USA as the only non impacted major country, benefited immensely as over the next 30-40 years or so rebuilt much of the world. As each subsequent former industrial country came back 'online' the average US worker began to experience stagnating incomes and wages as the global production capacity came back.

What you end up with is bifurcation in population to haves and have-nots. The elites who control the mechanisms of the system, continue to syphon the wealth of the dwindling (due to technology efficiency) productive working class to enhance themselves, while the majority's wealth and labor is eroded due to financial (devaluing a 'petrodollar' based fiat currency) and business (global labor arbitrage- courtesy of the corporatocracy and their elected puppets) and military rapaciousness (controlling resources to control markets and provide managed 'scarcity' to derive the greatest gain with a hegemonic control of the financial monetary units of commercial trade " petrodollar").

Hypothetically, the continued efficiencies in the economic system should lead to less work hours by labor with maintained 'real incomes' and subsequent higher quality of life. The biggest problems with a so called capitalist system with the afore mentioned values of how success is measured, basically is like a grindstone to people which is amplified by the five points mentioned. The whole issue of poverty amidst plenty was first noted by Henry George in mid 19th century.

I think economist Steve Keen (Debt Jubilee- a concept as old as written history 3000-4000 years ago) has a part of the solution, Alexander Sacks concept of 'Odious Debt' (check it out) and some form of Sir Clifford Douglas' concept of Social Credit from a philosophical view, and I'm paraphrasing, "the economic system should be designed to serve the people and not the people to serve the system."

Philosophically, the root of the 'leadership' problem is highlighted very well in Leo Tolstoy's famous 'How Much Land Does One Man Need' and Mark Twain's prescient short story "Carnival of Crime In Connecticut".

Certain members of society in control of the resources and mechanisms of control have no concern for others, but will willingly use them to further their position. Been reading a collection of short sketches on Roman History to prepare myself for the ongoing rollercoaster ride that is 'the digital age'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 12:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
People end their lives for a combination of reasons. When you are long term unemployed, you have financial problems which create marital problems, which leads to mental health issues. Some of these folks probably had mental health issues before, and they stress stacked up to the breaking point. When you are unemployed social isolation can set in quick. How often are you going to go out and spend money when you have little or none coming in?

My point is that it's a combo of factors not just one that causes someone to end their lives.
Yes, plus that age group consumes an incredible amount of drugs. There are television advertisements for sleeping pills and all sorts of drugs where they list the warnings -- a common warning is suicidal thoughts, but you can bet that millions of people run straight to their doctor asking for a prescription for the drug they saw advertised. Plus all the tons of meth, heroin, cocaine, etc -- all mind altering drugs.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:25 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, plus that age group consumes an incredible amount of drugs. There are television advertisements for sleeping pills and all sorts of drugs where they list the warnings -- a common warning is suicidal thoughts, but you can bet that millions of people run straight to their doctor asking for a prescription for the drug they saw advertised. Plus all the tons of meth, heroin, cocaine, etc -- all mind altering drugs.
So, in essence you are blaming the individuals for the high rate of suicide. I tend to believe it's the external. Why can't people sleep? Stress. People are, unfortunately, choosing whether to spend money to eat, or to pay utilities: electricity, phone, heat.

I truly do not see how the economy is better with the price of fossil fuels, which effects, nearly, every aspect of life. A person needs a vehicle to get to work, fuel heats a home, and fuel controls the price of needed items groceries etc.because those items are brought by trucks.

The prices of fuel are benefiting a very few, while the masses are left wondering how they are going to make it.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:43 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,315,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
The comments section is a highly insightful look into what many Americans are going through.

I've seen the struggles (economically) with friends / family and co workers and have already been downsized twice myself in corporate world. I am very fortunate to have been raised by parents who experienced their formative years during the 'great depression' and who encouraged us to be frugal and also can manage easier since I am single with no dependents.

Let's look at the basic trends (perhaps this is what the book someone mentioned earlier alludes to):
1) Longer life expectancy
2) Compressed viable skill sets (rapidity at which skill sets are rendered obsolete)
3) Labors output being usurped by technological means at accelerating rate. (See Race Against The Machine, McAfee and Brynjolfsson)
4) Mass Socialization tools being used to dumb down and control populace (Watch The Century of Self BBC special from early 1990s on youtube)
5) Business Economic Financial system that measures success (growth) as more units, more transactions, more velocity at greater marginal unit profit as the 'holy grail' to riches. (the Hamster wheel for those who are trying to get somewhere based on 'old ways' of getting ahead.)

One note in context, most Americans who lived / worked between 1946 to 1973 and maybe a decade later do not realize they are an anomaly in world history, whereby, the majority of industrial production capacity was destroyed by WW2 and the USA as the only non impacted major country, benefited immensely as over the next 30-40 years or so rebuilt much of the world. As each subsequent former industrial country came back 'online' the average US worker began to experience stagnating incomes and wages as the global production capacity came back.

What you end up with is bifurcation in population to haves and have-nots. The elites who control the mechanisms of the system, continue to syphon the wealth of the dwindling (due to technology efficiency) productive working class to enhance themselves, while the majority's wealth and labor is eroded due to financial (devaluing a 'petrodollar' based fiat currency) and business (global labor arbitrage- courtesy of the corporatocracy and their elected puppets) and military rapaciousness (controlling resources to control markets and provide managed 'scarcity' to derive the greatest gain with a hegemonic control of the financial monetary units of commercial trade " petrodollar").

Hypothetically, the continued efficiencies in the economic system should lead to less work hours by labor with maintained 'real incomes' and subsequent higher quality of life. The biggest problems with a so called capitalist system with the afore mentioned values of how success is measured, basically is like a grindstone to people which is amplified by the five points mentioned. The whole issue of poverty amidst plenty was first noted by Henry George in mid 19th century.

I think economist Steve Keen (Debt Jubilee- a concept as old as written history 3000-4000 years ago) has a part of the solution, Alexander Sacks concept of 'Odious Debt' (check it out) and some form of Sir Clifford Douglas' concept of Social Credit from a philosophical view, and I'm paraphrasing, "the economic system should be designed to serve the people and not the people to serve the system."

Philosophically, the root of the 'leadership' problem is highlighted very well in Leo Tolstoy's famous 'How Much Land Does One Man Need' and Mark Twain's prescient short story "Carnival of Crime In Connecticut".

Certain members of society in control of the resources and mechanisms of control have no concern for others, but will willingly use them to further their position. Been reading a collection of short sketches on Roman History to prepare myself for the ongoing rollercoaster ride that is 'the digital age'.
Great Post!

Bottom line is, for anyone who understands what the Federal Reserve is and how all the private central banks of the world are owned and operated, coupled with the corporations/Military Industrial Complex and banks(all intertwined) buying the government, this is a criminal economy, a literal racket but the gangsters own the government so they operate with impunity.

"The comments section is a highly insightful look into what many Americans are going through."

Agree. I read a lot of them and found someone who sees what I see, here it is:

"
  • Michael Henry
  • Portland, OR
NYT Pick

If you become economically irrelevant and can no longer support yourself or your family at a level that matches your sense of dignity, well then, hopelessness can set in.

The U.S. middle class has been on a downward drift for about 40 years. The current financial crisis was a hammer blow.

I fear that this will only get worse. "Productivity" is up, way up. The stock market is doing well. Why? Because corporate wealth is increasing with fewer and fewer employees. In the future, to do well will require that a person will need above average intellect, superb training, extreme focus, and...... luck. Say, 5% - 10% of the population.

It's the elephant in the room and possibly the biggest challenge to democracy in a generation."(end quote)

That guy gets it. I've been preaching that on here for a while that if, in the future and starting today, if you're not in the top 20% of wealth and income MINIMUM then you're done. Anyone who lives in the lower 80% and maybe even the lower 85% of income and wealth and tries to live a traditional middle class lifestyle and all that it entails will be in big trouble. Assuming no large inheritance. Now, remember I said in the future and starting now. I'm not talking about boomers and early gen X'ers who've already "gone there" but those who today, or recently started on the marriage, mortgage, 2-3 kids, 2 dependable or newer automobiles, the vacation, the wedding and college and wedding for the kiddies etc... will struggle mightily. The lower 80% of the population is better off if they become resigned to their fate and go into survival mode, meaning little if any family of their own, minimal lifestyle and save absolutely every penny they can and that will be just to survive.

I'm even more certain of this today than I was before because according to the media the stock market is at all time highs, corporate profits are great, housing is recovering in some places and all is peachy but this has translated to virtually nothing for the lower 90-93% in terms of jobs and incomes. SEE THIS ARTICLE:

http://www.prisonplanet.com/recovery...7-percent.html

Last edited by CK78; 05-07-2013 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: addding

Old 05-07-2013, 03:18 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
This is very sad, indeed. This is the main reason why I've become an "economic atheist," as the "laws" of economics that are applied today certainly don't work like they used to.
Laws of economics haven't failed. We're living in a twisted, messed up system because we allow capital to call all the shots and put labor in the dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I'm beginning to think that going communist is the only way out of this mess. Sure, we'd have a stagnant economy with a relatively low standard of living (perhaps 1970's levels), BUT at least everyone would have a job, everyone would have a roof over their head, and most importantly, everyone would have dignity and a sense of belonging. Really, nothing else matters. Is it such a big deal that the rich people go away for good for us to have these things, that we ALL have the right to have?

I know I'll get flamed badly for this, but hey, when people are dying, I really don't care.
We don't have to have communism. We merely have to stop embracing neoliberalism like we do. Countries come to greatness and stay great with protectionist policies. Policies that put their economies first and foremost, unlike America today that has left her economy to the wolves to be undermined and stripped apart.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
So, in essence you are blaming the individuals for the high rate of suicide. I tend to believe it's the external. Why can't people sleep? Stress. People are, unfortunately, choosing whether to spend money to eat, or to pay utilities: electricity, phone, heat.

I truly do not see how the economy is better with the price of fossil fuels, which effects, nearly, every aspect of life. A person needs a vehicle to get to work, fuel heats a home, and fuel controls the price of needed items groceries etc.because those items are brought by trucks.

The prices of fuel are benefiting a very few, while the masses are left wondering how they are going to make it.
Actually in essence I'm blaming the drugs more -- the side effect of a great number of both the legal and illegal drugs is suicide -- the mood swings, the depression, the loss of motivation.

The recession ended some time back, the Dow index is soaring to new heights. Back in the days of the Great Depression, people didn't all have cell phones and brand new HDTVs and video games for their kids, they had true hardship but didn't have especially high rates of suicide.

Today many billions of dollars are spent on psychotropic drugs of one kind or another -- in the Depression that wasn't the case, people then had barely enough for food.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Having just finished reading a bio of Dr. Spock, who oversaw a number of Vietnam Protests from the early 60's, and was jailed over 20 times during that period, when he reached the 1980's he was baffled as to where or where do all the protesters go?

He blamed much of it on the age of materialism, not caring anymore!

And what a steep price we're paying for that!!!

I can think of a hundred different protests that should be going on this very minute in this country! A to Z, AA to ZZ! Yoohoo! Where art thou!!!

Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
The elites want people to die anyhow...we are viewed as expendable.
We all die eventually. Expendable or not. As you can see below, the suicide rate will only assist in the natural correction going on right now. Even places like India are experiencing growth rate drops.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:45 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually in essence I'm blaming the drugs more -- the side effect of a great number of both the legal and illegal drugs is suicide -- the mood swings, the depression, the loss of motivation.

The recession ended some time back, the Dow index is soaring to new heights. Back in the days of the Great Depression, people didn't all have cell phones and brand new HDTVs and video games for their kids, they had true hardship but didn't have especially high rates of suicide.

Today many billions of dollars are spent on psychotropic drugs of one kind or another -- in the Depression that wasn't the case, people then had barely enough for food.
The Dow maybe soaring but it sure as heck is not benefiting people who are out of work. As for the unemployment statistics we know those statistics do not take into account those who have exhausted benefits or those who found part time employment or those who have given up looking for a job.

It is still a hardship to be poor now, cell phones are irrelevant to what people face today. At least with The Great Depression there was a way out, now there really is zero hope for meaningful recovery from this economy.

As for the pharmaceutical companies it is a new phenomena of advertising drugs on T.V, radio, and magazines.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Tough to measure. You read about someone killed in an auto accident and find out he hasn't worked in two years, his girlfriend left him and his dog died. Probably a suicide. But maybe he did just lose control and run off the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics