Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 05:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,748,644 times

Advertisements

Say, the company is located in NYC but I work from home in Boston. How should the taxes be paid?
It is full time employment, not a contract position. Will I have to pay more than someone who lives in New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,141 times
You'll pay more taxes up front as you'll pay both boston and new york, but at the end of the year you'll get a very nice refund.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,181 times
I don't think this is right. I think one is deducted New York state taxes, then at the end of the year file Massachusetts taxes and use the New York state taxes paid as a full credit, making MA taxes zero given that NY tax rates > MA tax rates.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
If your residence is in MA and your earned income is in NY, crescent 22 is right. You have to file in both MA and NY and use your tax credits from NY to reduce your MA tax. You will end up paying state income taxes equal to the higher rate of the two states.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
People who work in one state but live in another have a tax liability to their state of residence. It doesn't matter if you physically move your body from state to state.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:46 AM

129 posts, read 250,082 times
It completely depends on the states involved.

When I lived in NY and my job was in IL, I paid both in full (ouch!).

When I moved to CO, I still pay IL but most of that comes as a credit against my CO taxes. I paid $3 in CO taxes this year.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:52 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,748,644 times
OK Thanks. It is complicated to live in the UNITED States.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,372,934 times
Federal taxes are obviously straight-forward, but the matter of state taxes does depend on where you live/work. If you lived in Virginia but worked in DC for instance, you would pay taxes to VA but nothing at all to DC. In some other locales, you would pay taxes only to the jurisdiction where you worked, and in still others you would have to file and perhaps pay in both. Massachusetts however does offer credits for taxes paid to other states and jurisdictions. From Mass.gov...

If any of the income reported on this return is subject to taxation in another state or jurisdiction and you have filed a return and paid taxes in the other state or jurisdiction, complete the Schedule Z, Part 2, line 10 worksheet and enter the amount of credit on line 10 of Schedule Z. Do not include taxes paid to the U.S. government. (This credit does not apply to city or local taxes.) You are allowed to claim a credit for taxes paid to the following jurisdictions: (a) other states in the U.S. including payments made under the Rhode Island temporary disability Insurance Act; (b) any territory or dependency of the U.S. (including Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, the District of Columbia); or (c) the Dominion of Canada or any of its provinces (less any U.S. credit amount allowable from U.S. Form 1116).

What could be simpler?

Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
Federal taxes are obviously straight-forward, but the matter of state taxes does depend on where you live/work. If you lived in Virginia but worked in DC for instance, you would pay taxes to VA but nothing at all to DC. In some other locales, you would pay taxes only to the jurisdiction where you worked, and in still others you would have to file and perhaps pay in both. Massachusetts however does offer credits for taxes paid to other states and jurisdictions. From Mass.gov...

If any of the income reported on this return is subject to taxation in another state or jurisdiction and you have filed a return and paid taxes in the other state or jurisdiction, complete the Schedule Z, Part 2, line 10 worksheet and enter the amount of credit on line 10 of Schedule Z. Do not include taxes paid to the U.S. government. (This credit does not apply to city or local taxes.) You are allowed to claim a credit for taxes paid to the following jurisdictions: (a) other states in the U.S. including payments made under the Rhode Island temporary disability Insurance Act; (b) any territory or dependency of the U.S. (including Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, the District of Columbia); or (c) the Dominion of Canada or any of its provinces (less any U.S. credit amount allowable from U.S. Form 1116).

What could be simpler?
I wonder if the "pay in both" case really exists? I certainly do not know and there are 50*49 combinations (just for the states).

Old 05-10-2013, 09:05 AM

129 posts, read 250,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I wonder if the "pay in both" case really exists? I certainly do not know and there are 50*49 combinations (just for the states).
As I said above, when I worked in IL and lived in NY four years ago, I had to pay both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics