Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:11 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
True, but we should make them easier to compare. I'd favor disallowing any college from their students being able to obtain loans without submitting the data you listed above to the DOE or some other data collector. Have it published annually during the early part of a school year in the nations top 50 newspapers. Pick the most important-job placement and grad rate IMO, and sort high to low, in those FULL page (s) newspaper reports.
Why are you picking on already troubled print media here? Are the taxpayers going to foot the bill for producing and printing all these full-page ads all over the country? Kind of an old-media approach isn't it? It would make more sense perhaps to put these data on the internet. Or did somebody think of that already?

Bottom line here is that if nobody else comes up with a way to provide convenient and affordable educational services to non-traditonal students, they will continue to flock to the for-profit schools that are already out there and we will continue to have the status quo into the indefinite future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
Why are you picking on already troubled print media here? Are the taxpayers going to foot the bill for producing and printing all these full-page ads all over the country? Kind of an old-media approach isn't it? It would make more sense perhaps to put these data on the internet. Or did somebody think of that already?

Bottom line here is that if nobody else comes up with a way to provide convenient and affordable educational services to non-traditonal students, they will continue to flock to the for-profit schools that are already out there and we will continue to have the status quo into the indefinite future.
Picking on..no As a taxpayer, I'd gladly pay my portion of that cost. It is a useful warning system which would result in lower taxpayer costs up the road.

I'd also have no issue with posting on the net instead. But we need to expose this info.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Picking on..no As a taxpayer, I'd gladly pay my portion of that cost.
No you wouldn't. The right-wing screamers would be wailing over such colossal government waste and over the whole notion of the government picking winners and losers when the American people can decide better than some bureaucrat in Washington which schools are a good deal and which aren't. This of course would be code-speak for stop trying to interfere with our efforts to bilk consumers and defraud taxpayers.

Quote:
I'd also have no issue with posting on the net instead. But we need to expose this info.
It's already there.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:39 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
No you wouldn't. The right-wing screamers would be wailing over such colossal government waste and over the whole notion of the government picking winners and losers when the American people can decide better than some bureaucrat in Washington which schools are a good deal and which aren't. This of course would be code-speak for stop trying to interfere with our efforts to bilk consumers and defraud taxpayers.

It's already there.
Many republicans back for-profit colleges.

"Over the course of this Congress, we will also work to reform our student aid process to give students a financial incentive to finish their studies sooner," Cantor said in his speech at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington. "We will encourage entrepreneurship in higher education, including for-profit schools. And we will fix the way we subsidize education by making the costs more transparent to parents, students and the millions of taxpayers who help pay some of the bill."

Old 06-08-2013, 10:46 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
I said this before.

I look around at people with sizable student loan debts and a lot of them seem to have no problems wearing wealth on their feet, back and car key chains.

Heaven forbid they drive that 1998 corolla for a few more years while they bang out that student loan.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Many republicans back for-profit colleges.
And do you expect them then to support using taxpayer funds to post full-page ads all across the coutnry pointing out what a bad deal many of these schools actually are?

Old 06-08-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I said this before. I look around at people with sizable student loan debts and a lot of them seem to have no problems wearing wealth on their feet, back and car key chains. Heaven forbid they drive that 1998 corolla for a few more years while they bang out that student loan.
Yeah, it's just like all those bejeweled food stamp people using their EBT cards to buy lobster and beer, then driving off in their brand new SUVs. Hate that...

Old 06-08-2013, 06:34 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,610 times
Default Either clueless or a colluder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation
Still waiting for you to tell is what % of loans have been discharged.
I don't know?--but my guess would be about the same amount as the job-fudging Employee Disability Program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite
Hmmm. The actual reality is that four years of high school has become a woefully inadequate period of time in which to inculcate the ranges and degrees of knoweldge and understanding that functionality in an increasingly complex world requires.
You just don't get oaktonite! In aggregate, the average high school student can't even grasp the elementary curriculum. You can't teach 4 years of basic high school when the students' are playing/preoccupied with gadgets in class!

Sending unprepared BODIES to college enables the Banksters to live the American Dream, while the educational system corrodes/dilutes for the masses. The watering-down of education is no different from watering-down the value of money IMO.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:33 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's just like all those bejeweled food stamp people using their EBT cards to buy lobster and beer, then driving off in their brand new SUVs. Hate that...
You CANNOT use SNAP benefits to buy:

Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco
Any nonfood items, such as pet foods, soaps, paper products, diapers, and household supplies
Vitamins and medicines
Food that will be eaten in the store
Hot foods

What You Can Buy With Your SNAP EBT Card - USDA

I can see the jealousy behind buying lobster, but a new SUV? lol. Who cares. It's not like anyone is going to change anything.

I say get the gubberment out of student loans. Treat it like a mortgage and let people file banko. Stop the madness already.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:54 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
Sending unprepared BODIES to college enables the Banksters to live the American Dream, while the educational system corrodes/dilutes for the masses. The watering-down of education is no different from watering-down the value of money IMO.
I recall reading in the past that around 50% of college students don't graduate. Perhaps there is truth to this. The core of any solid education starts in grade school. Without that foundation, I think college is useless. If the student did not possess the drive and work ethic to learn the stuff in HS, it's unlikely they will somehow make up for the lost learning, and then learn the college level material on top of it.

I was shocked by the number of college students who struggled with basic HS level math when I attended. Just taking algebra, something like 25% of the students dropped the class in the first 2 weeks. Concepts that should have been firmly imbedded in their heads before HS graduation seemed like a foreign language to some.

I think some of the problem may be with the students, but certainly there is plenty of blame to be placed on the K-12 system. Government is the problem, not the solution, as our K-12 educational system highlights. I also think there are cases of material being softened up to boost graduation rates. When I was in HS, there was also plenty of "teaching the test". Much easier to pass the test, but it does no good for the student later in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics