Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:58 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,695,144 times

Advertisements

"So just how bad is the U.S. economy? Well, the truth is that sometimes it is hard to put into words. We have squandered the great wealth left to us by our forefathers, we have almost totally dismantled the world's greatest manufacturing base, we have shipped millions of good jobs overseas and we have piled up the biggest mountain of debt in the history of mankind. We have taken the greatest free enterprise economy that was ever created and have turned it into a gigantic house of cards delicately balanced on a never-ending spiral of paper money and debt. "

The U.S. Economic Collapse Top 20 Countdown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 12:18 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,379,156 times
I don't share that pessimism.I think the future of the US will be very promising.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 PM

9,378 posts, read 14,332,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I don't share that pessimism.I think the future of the US will be very promising.
Once that expensive nuisance, historical anomaly and cultural wastes, the US suburban middle class of the 1950s-1990s era (and their European welfare state counterparts), is devalued and dead, yes, the future of the US is very promising, for owners of manufacturing enterprises and their Chinese partners for example.

Look, people with internationally competitive skills in business, business services, technology, and various other professions will be just fine, it's the average worker whose standard of living is being reduced.

To be sure, there is some risk of a real economic collapse - the failure to deliver food and basic utilities to millions of people, including the internationally competitively skilled - but the odds of that happening are about 10% or less in the next 30 years or so.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 05-31-2010 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 12:57 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,264,214 times
Quote:
I don't share that pessimism. I think the future of the US will be very promising.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:06 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,379,156 times
Yeah, I'm optimistic, it's stupid to be pessimistic and sad like that

The US has an astonishing future, I'm sure of that
You don't see the potential, it's shameful.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:10 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,325,370 times
WOW! I don't know how to thank you enough! You've just made me a millionaire! I'm going to start writing sky is falling articles and end of civilization books similar to this drivel and then I'll just sit back and rake in the dough selling it to all the chicken littles out there who are addicted to this doom and gloom nonsense like a drug. Thanks for the inspiration, you guys are the best!

(Shakes head in disbelief).

Old 05-31-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it has a future of global enslavement. I guess you think that is good.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:24 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,813,230 times
Quote:

It's called being a REALIST!

Astonishing future...Eh?...

Real unemployment numbers are over 17% with the Detroit area over 50%!

More jobs are going overseas every year and we manufacture almost NOTHING anymore!

Unless you have a job in the health care industry,I'd be worried!

Shameful are the SHEEP who follow what the idiots on tv tell you and actually believe it! If you're not prepared for what can and will happen you have no one to blame except yourself!

Old 05-31-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
WOW! I don't know how to thank you enough! You've just made me a millionaire! I'm going to start writing sky is falling articles and end of civilization books similar to this drivel and then I'll just sit back and rake in the dough selling it to all the chicken littles out there who are addicted to this doom and gloom nonsense like a drug. Thanks for the inspiration, you guys are the best!

(Shakes head in disbelief).
What is there to be positive about? Everyday this country is getting worse and worse.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:37 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,813,230 times
Here's some positive news.

Joblessness among young workers could have lasting impact - May. 26, 2010

HoweStreet.com - The Source for Market Opinions (http://www.howestreet.com/articles/index.php?article_id=13550 - broken link)

Stocks Tumble, Dow Ends Worst May Since 1940 - Bloomberg

News Headlines

Column One: Lessons of hard times in Vallejo - latimes.com

The Same Big Fat Greek Problems are Coming to America : Welcome To Jim Sinclair's MineSet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics