Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:30 AM

795 posts, read 1,387,165 times

Advertisements

Analyze them all you want, but predicting will always be a dice roll.

What I find funny about gloomers - they start with the answer and work backwards. Instead of working towards a solution, they grasp at straws to back up what they already think.

For instance, jimhcom probably has all of his money in CDs. Frustrated, he figures interest rates should be higher for the greater good. So he attacks the Fed's low rate policy, and finds reasons to support. The Fed is evil; it's punishing diligent savers like him; it's only looking out for the banks. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,260,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
Analyze them all you want, but predicting will always be a dice roll.

What I find funny about gloomers - they start with the answer and work backwards. Instead of working towards a solution, they grasp at straws to back up what they already think.

For instance, jimhcom probably has all of his money in CDs. Frustrated, he figures interest rates should be higher for the greater good. So he attacks the Fed's low rate policy, and finds reasons to support. The Fed is evil; it's punishing diligent savers like him; it's only looking out for the banks. LOL
Ignorance is easy to spot because in more cases than not, it begins with groundless assumptions.
I began this thread to see if there was anyone out there with enough understanding of business and economic cycles to discuss whether 2015 was a significant point in time and what factors make it so.

What I found was that there is not, there is simply a bunch of frustrated people with nothing better to do than attempt to support their egos by way of sniping at each other. I enjoy a spirited debate based on facts and logic, but there is none of that to be found here. Kind of pathetic.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:21 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,446,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Ignorance is easy to spot because in more cases than not, it begins with groundless assumptions.
I began this thread to see if there was anyone out there with enough understanding of business and economic cycles to discuss whether 2015 was a significant point in time and what factors make it so.

What I found was that there is not, there is simply a bunch of frustrated people with nothing better to do than attempt to support their egos by way of sniping at each other. I enjoy a spirited debate based on facts and logic, but there is none of that to be found here. Kind of pathetic.
No one can disprove that 2015 will be significant because no one can disprove a negative. No one can say 2015 won't be significant any more than in 2015 aliens won't land on Earth, or in 2015 a giant pink unicorn will eat New York.

All you presented is some opinions, and started the thread on the assumption that 2015 was significant, without any evidence. You stated that ignorance was easy to spot because it starts with an assumption...and your OP made an assumption right off the bat. People spotted the ignorance, pointed it out, and you started into insults when there was no data to provide in order to support it.

What is frustating is people who champion these doom and gloom opinions are constantly being proven wrong, yet it doesn't stop them. It's like some one walking up and down the street with the sign that says the world will end tomorrow, and they don't see the problem that the world is still here after doing it for 20 years. I'd rather fewer people wasted their lives doing things like that, because no one wins in that situation.

If you want to push that only patheticly bored and frustrated people are posting on this forum...your insult cuts both ways. You are here just as often as everyone else...for the last ~7 years.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:55 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,260,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
No one can disprove that 2015 will be significant because no one can disprove a negative. No one can say 2015 won't be significant any more than in 2015 aliens won't land on Earth, or in 2015 a giant pink unicorn will eat New York.

All you presented is some opinions, and started the thread on the assumption that 2015 was significant, without any evidence. You stated that ignorance was easy to spot because it starts with an assumption...and your OP made an assumption right off the bat. People spotted the ignorance, pointed it out, and you started into insults when there was no data to provide in order to support it.

What is frustating is people who champion these doom and gloom opinions are constantly being proven wrong, yet it doesn't stop them. It's like some one walking up and down the street with the sign that says the world will end tomorrow, and they don't see the problem that the world is still here after doing it for 20 years. I'd rather fewer people wasted their lives doing things like that, because no one wins in that situation.

If you want to push that only patheticly bored and frustrated people are posting on this forum...your insult cuts both ways. You are here just as often as everyone else...for the last ~7 years.
Wrong on several counts, in the first place 2015 is not a negative; it is a point in time. I did not assume 2015 was significant, I pointed out several theories that is was, and asked for opinions about factors leading up to that date.
As I stated before, there is no one who has posted so far who has an intelligent opinion on the subject, so I must conclude at this point I was giving the posters too much credit to think they possessed one.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 PM

795 posts, read 1,387,165 times
It's very obvious you came in here with your mind already made-up.

Smart people know that they can't predict market crashes, so trying would run contrary to intelligent thought.

In this case, the most intelligent opinion is to not have an opinion at all.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:06 AM

24,330 posts, read 26,739,713 times
People have been saying there will be a crash every year, eventually someone will get it right lol

Last edited by bmw335xi; 05-18-2013 at 12:29 AM..

Old 05-18-2013, 12:10 AM

69 posts, read 65,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Is anyone else as tired of hearing the word "bubble" as I am?
You mean your tolerance for hearing the word "bubble" has burst like a bubble?

Old 05-18-2013, 12:41 AM

14,799 posts, read 21,397,688 times
Lol seems like some people can't wait for the next Market crash to happen.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:19 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,299,784 times
I sold all of my equity investments in the spring of 2000.

I sold my house in 2006. Purchased another house in 2008.

I sold 1/4 of my wealth in gold 2 months ago.

Will not go to any real extent to defend my decision because if you think that no one can do this then that is what you get out of it. I can't remember most of the reasons to sell my equities in 2000 or to sell my house in 2006 but to sell the gold was a very easy decision. When the COMEX reported that the largest withdrawals in their history of physical gold was happening and the futures disappeared, selling my gold was the only logical decision. From what I can tell gold will continue down for awhile.

This was all just random luck. Now do all of you learning challenged posters feel better! Or are you just going to say I'm making all this up?

I currently have 50% of money in cash and 50% in equities. I was 100% in equities just 3 months ago.

Concerning the OP, I'm currently reading Harry Dents book and he has made the case for later this year or 2014. He as said in recent video that the government could push the crash into 2015. 2 years ago he called most of what's happening now including the gold dump.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:16 PM

24,330 posts, read 26,739,713 times
People who time the market will get crushed long term. You should invest with "LONG TERM" in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics