U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:21 PM

22,155 posts, read 23,354,233 times

Advertisements

Check this out. Only 2/5ths of 1% of the world's population has a net worth greater $1 million:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2C_2011_v4.jpg
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 12:59 PM

29,559 posts, read 32,588,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Check this out. Only 2/5ths of 1% of the world's population has a net worth greater $1 million:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2C_2011_v4.jpg
Yep. The problem is people don't compare themselves to "the world" or even people who have less they do in their own country. They almost always compare "up" and not down.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:03 PM

4,767 posts, read 3,378,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yep. The problem is people don't compare themselves to "the world" or even people who have less they do in their own country. They almost always compare "up" and not down.
And there is no point comparing ones worth to the population of Zimbabwe. It would be an example of an "apples and no chance of ever seeing oranges" comparison.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
And there is no point comparing ones worth to the population of Zimbabwe. It would be an example of an "apples and no chance of ever seeing oranges" comparison.
I wholeheartedly disagree for many reasons.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I wholeheartedly disagree for many reasons.
Of all the things I expect to be called out on, you feel that strongly about this comment?

I can only assume you think I meant to disparage the less fortunate. Not my intent.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Of all the things I expect to be called out on, you feel that strongly about this comment?

I can only assume you think I meant to disparage the less fortunate. Not my intent.
There are multiple reasons. But the biggest ones are that it belies a certain complacency and arrogance that is held among many who live in rich countries that we're so much different from poor people in Zimbabwe that we have nothing to learn from them and that we're in such a different league that people in poor parts of the world are simply not worth comparing ourselves to. Also, I don't like the underlying assumption that we could never end up an impoverished nation like Zimbabwe (complacency).

Old 06-03-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
There are multiple reasons. But the biggest ones are that it belies a certain complacency and arrogance that is held among many who live in rich countries that we're so much different from poor people in Zimbabwe that we have nothing to learn from them and that we're in such a different league that people in poor parts of the world are simply not worth comparing ourselves to. Also, I don't like the underlying assumption that we could never end up an impoverished nation like Zimbabwe (complacency).
I mean no disrespect when I say, you completely misunderstood the intent of my post. Which was to imply that comparing ones wealth (which to many is a measure of their success) to others who have had little opportunity, by virtue of circumstances beyond their control, is irrelevant.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 AM

22,155 posts, read 23,354,233 times
Quote:
I mean no disrespect when I say, you completely misunderstood the intent of my post. Which was to imply that comparing ones wealth (which to many is a measure of their success) to others who have had little opportunity, by virtue of circumstances beyond their control, is irrelevant.
You don't have to compare to Zimbabwe though. Even compared to other rich countries like Japan, Germany and the United Kingdom, The United States has a very high concentration of individuals having a net worth of $1 million or more - in fact, the most of any country in sheer numbers.

That's why our perspective is very distorted.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-03-2013 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 08:35 AM

1,033 posts, read 1,519,843 times
why is that distorted?

people work hard out here to accumulate their wealth, and many have migrated from abroad either them or their parents.

that's why over here is the best place to be, freedom.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 AM

706 posts, read 1,227,056 times
Quote:

Good info here, yes we should consider ourselves lucky. Focus on what we have and not what we don't have. Now, that is MUCH easier said than done because I do the same thing, but just a conversation piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics