Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebike View Post
Celsius, yes, it would help me understand better what capital you are referring because I don't see a specific meaning on the mortgage docs.
Whatever money you are given upfront to purchase the property...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,303 times
We took out a three year Home Equity Line of credit loan. It is paid by automatic monthly draft on the 5th.of each month. We were told we could make any additional (principle only)payments that we wished as long as we didn't pay off the balance before three years, if we paid it off before then we had to re-pay the bank $360 for the Home Appraisal fee. All was well for almost a year, we would make an additional (Principal Only) payment whenever we had extra funds. The payments were made in person at the bank and 100% applied.
Then the bank moved our loan to a different department or Branch Office. we went in to our office and made an additional payment on the 10th. but this time they charged $29.00 interest. on that "Principal only payment" our next regular payment wasn't due for another 3 weeks!
I don't think this is acceptable, since I never agreed to these new "terms". My loan officer told me that I now have to make any additional payments on the same Day they, Draft the regular payment and I wouldn't be charged the extra interest.
The Loan disclosure I received from the new office has the same (early payment ) options in writing as the original agreement. But they still charged me the interest. I have now gotten it credited to my principal after I lodged a complaint.
FYI:
Beware and make sure you read all documents the lender sends, to avoid this!!!

Old 05-30-2014, 01:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Op I've seen this before on my own car payments. Car payments are not like mortgage payments. With car payments, they are charging you interest daily. So the gap between your last payment and the $500 you acrued interest. They took some of your payment for interest. I would doubt that there is something illegal about it. A mortgage is a bad deal to a certain degree for the lender. The homeowner can pay it up to the day before the end of the grace period and there's no penalty. But a car loan isn't like that. The interest just accrues every day.

What you're doing is wise. You're paying off your loan as soon as you can. It will save you a ton of money.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:10 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Op I've seen this before on my own car payments. Car payments are not like mortgage payments. With car payments, they are charging you interest daily. So the gap between your last payment and the $500 you acrued interest. They took some of your payment for interest. I would doubt that there is something illegal about it. A mortgage is a bad deal to a certain degree for the lender. The homeowner can pay it up to the day before the end of the grace period and there's no penalty. But a car loan isn't like that. The interest just accrues every day.

What you're doing is wise. You're paying off your loan as soon as you can. It will save you a ton of money.
On a mortgage you certainly being charged interest daily. Pay your house off on the first and it certainly will be a different amount than the 2nd or 30th

Old 05-31-2014, 06:09 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
gregm, are you saying you can never "own" anything if you're forced to pay taxes on it?

Is that what you mean by
Quote:
Actually he bought the house for the County, the bank financed it. He pays interest to the bank, the county always owns it forever. And then he pays property tax to the County, on top of the interest, and so called principal. That's why home ownership is such a rip off. You pay, and pay, and never "own" it.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:06 AM

152 posts, read 221,809 times
Bank of America has two check offs for payment. You can make additional payments by specifying apply to principal only.
It doesn't change the requirement to pay the interest every month.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
You have to specify very clearly that it is a principal payment otherwise it will be applied to interest and principal.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:02 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyJ View Post
I recently purchased a new car and am making monthly payments if $275/mo to my bank. For the past few months I have always added an extra few $$. $ 25, $50, etc. Then about a week after my 4th payment, I made a payment ( all have been online) for $500 toward the principal.

When I checked my loan balance, I noticed that my balance did not drop by $500, but by $457. They kept $43 and applied it toward interest. Keep in mind I just had made a payment, all payments have been on time and my account said nothing was due. To me this should have taken $500 off the principal.
If you paid $500 toward principal the same time you made your regular payment, then yes the entire $500 would be deducted from principal. But you waited a week to send them the $500. So that's 7 days of interest that's taken off the top from the $500. Now when you pay your next regular payment, next month, they should only charge you for 23 days of interest, because you already paid 7 days worth of interest. Thus a larger portion of your regular payment get credited towards principal.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
It depends on the contract as to type of loan .Some only allow early payments of equal amount and only means early payoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics