Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:35 AM

178 posts, read 398,893 times

Advertisements

I mean of course its a big deal since it means you can live comfortably in most places in the world, but is it anywhere near the life changing benchmark that it used to be?

I'm about to cross that mark this year and I still feel pretty poor. Am in my 30s, no debt, no inheritance, no kids or wife. Still pinch pennies and clip coupons. I don't think I'll feel secure ever no matter how much I have socked away, which sounds terrible. Then again, I'm Asian and am expected to care for my parents, who have no retirement saved away whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 09:42 AM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Fred Norris View Post
I mean of course its a big deal since it means you can live comfortably in most places in the world, but is it anywhere near the life changing benchmark that it used to be?

I'm about to cross that mark this year and I still feel pretty poor. Am in my 30s, no debt, no inheritance, no kids or wife. Still pinch pennies and clip coupons. I don't think I'll feel secure ever no matter how much I have socked away, which sounds terrible. Then again, I'm Asian and am expected to care for my parents, who have no retirement saved away whatsoever.

Classic screen name!

I have crossed that threshold in the past (mainly due to inflated stock market/real estate) but it isn't life changing. Still went to work everyday and honestly I wouldn't feel rich until I was worth 5-10mm. 1mm in 1970 was a big deal when NY apartments were 100K and a new Cadillac was 6K. Today it simply doesn't go that far.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:43 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,531 times
Nope. Most people who make it are too busy working and understand the value of money. It's just a number.

I would bet that most of the people you think are rich have good cash flow and like to spend. The people with wealth are frugal. The super wealthy are an exception. But even they surprise you. They might make big purchases but still are cheap. One of my old coffee buddies was worth a bloody fortune. Dozens of millions from stock grants and options in the 90's. Lots of guys didn't have patience on the 15 year vesting. He held out.

He wouldn't buy a paper because if he waited ten minutes somebody would leave one. He wore the same 501's all the time. He liked Ecco boots but complained they were $250 so he would wait for a sale and buy a few pairs. Their house was just off the Camino and he complained about noise. He could have moved anywhere but spent some money on soundproofing walls and new windows. Different mindset.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:04 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Sorry, but "millionaire" is barely hanging on to middle class.

You could spend the money and have a good time and go back to being broke. Or you could invest your capital and live on the income. That income that you can generate on a million dollars, after taxes, puts you at a lower middle class lifestyle.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I didn't answer you question. Of course hitting that first million dollars is a huge deal. Huge. Huge. Huge!!!!! Congratulations.

All I meant was that if you want to live like you are rich, then you will have to keep going and not stop at that first million.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,378 times
No, it's not much anymore. You're not rich. You're comfortable.

But...

The first million is the hardest. Gets easier after that.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:44 PM

10 posts, read 43,998 times
A mil in your 30s is a milestone. If you continue at this rate, you can get to a dozen mils by retirement age. I think one can live a good life with 5 mil today, which is roughly equivalent to the present value of what you will have by retirement. Keep it up!

Do you mind sharing with us which industry you are in? Health, finance, legal, tech, etc??

Old 05-19-2013, 12:45 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Fred Norris View Post

Well, of course the answer to your question is "it depends." A lot of people live very comfortably on less than a $1 million net worth.

But realize you can also do a lot with $1 million. For example, if you invested that money in the S&P 500 at the beginning of this year, then you would have an additional $168,000 right now. - Not a bad chunk of change for doing practically nothing.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:51 PM

10 posts, read 43,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, of course the answer to your question is "it depends." A lot of people live comfortably on less than a $1 million net worth.

But realize you can also do a lot with $1 million. For example, if you invested that money in the S&P 500 at the beginning of this year, then you would have an additional $168,000 right now. Not a bad chunk of change for doing practically nothing.
Off point remark: He could also lose a similar amount or even more if you look at year-over-year, but you are right the market has a positive return in the long-run.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:25 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,704,293 times
One million dollars in 2013 isn't "wealth", but it's not exactly middle-class either, especially if by "million" we mean investible assets and not home equity.

Somebody raised the question of living off of one's assets, presumably via low-risk investment vehicles. That depends entirely on the expected rate of return. If you can get 6%, well, that's $60K/year before taxes... plenty for a single-guy without dependents. But if you can only get 1%, well, not so much. If the annual rate of return is low, one would need a huge amount of money to generate sufficient annual income. But that's an arbitrary number. If you park the money in a savings account with zero rate of return, you'd need an infinite amount of money - and that's a fairly large amount, so to speak.

As others have opined, the threshold for "rich" these days is something on the order of $5M... which of course depends on the rate of return.

One more thing: everybody says that the first million is the hardest, while subsequent millions become easier. I disagree. Often that first million comes from getting lucky on speculative investments. Once one amasses such money, one becomes more conservative, and rate of return drops. The jump from say $300K to $1M can be very fast, again depending on risk-tolerance and luck. With attenuated risk-tolerance, going from $1M to $2M can be a protracted crawl. This is one reason why we have many "middle class millionaires" - folks stuck with one or two million, who never rise higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics