U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 18,752,456 times
Reputation: 7193

Advertisements

I have to wonder that "cheap fast food" will consist of in the future.

Say bye-bye to cheap food | Grist
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM
 
4,130 posts, read 4,080,720 times
Reputation: 3041
Americans pay less for food than any other nation on the planet.

Americans are the fattest people on the planet. It would do some good for people to eat less.

Increased food prices will cause people to eat less and not require scooters to get the mail, or x-ray machines at zoos. Get real.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Colorado
20,067 posts, read 5,430,423 times
Reputation: 6096
Yesterday my husband was complaining that the bacon was now a 12 oz instead of 16 oz package.
I told him making items of less size was nothing new, he only noticed because he was the one cooking..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 03:32 PM
 
Location: NJ
29,890 posts, read 34,192,422 times
Reputation: 22284
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Americans pay less for food than any other nation on the planet.

Americans are the fattest people on the planet. It would do some good for people to eat less.

Increased food prices will cause people to eat less and not require scooters to get the mail, or x-ray machines at zoos. Get real.
how does someone say something like this and then tell others to "get real." i dont want to pay more for food because some people cant control themselves. aside from them, what about all the people that cant afford food and all the people that taxpayers are feeding? i dont to pay more for all of that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 04:07 PM
 
4,130 posts, read 4,080,720 times
Reputation: 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how does someone say something like this and then tell others to "get real." i dont want to pay more for food because some people cant control themselves. aside from them, what about all the people that cant afford food and all the people that taxpayers are feeding? i dont to pay more for all of that.
Easy, it's called reality. I posted the links for the proof what I am saying is true. I don't want to pay more either, but if everyone got a nickel every time they wanted something to be true...the Earth would likely be covered by several miles of nickels.

I also don't want to pay for the medical costs of people who are eating so much their bodies can't handle the strain. The cost of a heart attack could easily feed a family of 4 for at least a year, a severe one could pay the cost of feeding several families. We pay a lot more for health care for those who cannot work (non-retired folks) than we do feeding people, and a heck of a lot more on wars than either.

So yeah, get real. Too many people eat too much and we all pay the price.

Sometimes what's real isn't so nice, and we need to be adult enough to face facts instead of crying it's not nice and ignoring it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Warwick, RI
3,683 posts, read 4,547,541 times
Reputation: 5928
I wish I could say BYE BYE to certain serial posters around here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 PM
 
Location: NJ
29,890 posts, read 34,192,422 times
Reputation: 22284
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Easy, it's called reality. I posted the links for the proof what I am saying is true. I don't want to pay more either, but if everyone got a nickel every time they wanted something to be true...the Earth would likely be covered by several miles of nickels.

I also don't want to pay for the medical costs of people who are eating so much their bodies can't handle the strain. The cost of a heart attack could easily feed a family of 4 for at least a year, a severe one could pay the cost of feeding several families. We pay a lot more for health care for those who cannot work (non-retired folks) than we do feeding people, and a heck of a lot more on wars than either.

So yeah, get real. Too many people eat too much and we all pay the price.

Sometimes what's real isn't so nice, and we need to be adult enough to face facts instead of crying it's not nice and ignoring it.
im not even sure what you are talking about when you refer to "reality." im not going to be happy to pay more because certain people who think they are smarter than they are want to assume that raising the cost of money will force people to eat less and create a healthier society.

whether or not food gets more or less expensive is a reality we will deal with. but to cheer higher prices for the theoretical potential health benefits is ridiculous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 PM
 
4,130 posts, read 4,080,720 times
Reputation: 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not even sure what you are talking about when you refer to "reality." im not going to be happy to pay more because certain people who think they are smarter than they are want to assume that raising the cost of money will force people to eat less and create a healthier society.

whether or not food gets more or less expensive is a reality we will deal with. but to cheer higher prices for the theoretical potential health benefits is ridiculous.
I said I was smarter than you? Where?

I don't think I am, but I certainly have more integrity then to put words into other people's mouths and chastise them for it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 PM
 
Location: NJ
29,890 posts, read 34,192,422 times
Reputation: 22284
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I said I was smarter than you? Where?

I don't think I am, but I certainly have more integrity then to put words into other people's mouths and chastise them for it.
I didn't say you said you are smarter than I am. I am making my judgment that you think you are smarter than you really are. i took that from your position of being in favor of higher food prices because it will be good for the health of americans. i figure this is your thought process "while most people think higher food prices is bad, i know better than they do."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 10:28 PM
 
4,130 posts, read 4,080,720 times
Reputation: 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I didn't say you said you are smarter than I am. I am making my judgment that you think you are smarter than you really are. i took that from your position of being in favor of higher food prices because it will be good for the health of americans. i figure this is your thought process "while most people think higher food prices is bad, i know better than they do."
You are still making all sorts of assumptions, from what I am thinking...some one you never met, or even know my first name, thinking you have some insight into my mind no one else has...to figuring you know what most Americans think without asking just because, well, you say so. Instead of addressing what I am saying, you are addressing this fiction of what you assume I am thinking and the assumption about what I am feeling.

I can't, and I won't, defend what you are projecting onto me because it's not me. Your judgement is massively flawed because it is based on what you claim I am thinking behind my words, not what I am actually saying. If you somehow knowing what is in my mind is your only argument against my opinion, we are done because I don't debate claims of psychic powers. Once you claim your prize from James Randi then we can talk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top