U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 06:02 PM

6,911 posts, read 4,554,540 times

Advertisements

Some of this is legit, but most points just describe yuppie culture.

I come from a family that was "old money" in the area. That is, they were a pioneer family in the area that ended up owning a lot of property and eventually legacy businesses in the county.

The big distinctions in my experience are

1) The importance placed on college relative to the peers. In my area (south Texas) it generally meant going to UT if the kids were going to be some kind of professional like lawyer or Texas A&M if they were going to come back & run the business/ranch/farm.

2) Connections with others placed highly in the community, generally through business and church, local politics. Ie: people that went to the church I went to belonged to families that had someone who was a judge, people who had done a couple terms as mayor of the town, school board, etc...

3) Travel and judging others by where they travel. In my dad's day it meant doing a "tour" in Europe. More recently it means going to Asia. This is a big bragging point & the trip needs to be at least a month & happen every couple years.

#2 is the most important. If you don't have connections with people who are at least somewhat important, they're not "upper" anything and just middle class.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 08:25 AM

7,277 posts, read 2,164,093 times
I scored 6 out of 25. Guess I'm not.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:46 AM

15,247 posts, read 22,862,544 times
I despise "organic" foods. It is all a marketing gimmick.
Pesticides make you stronger.

Dollar stores are the perfect place to buy greeting cards—two for a dollar.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:41 PM

1,741 posts, read 763,416 times
I wonder how the average “The millionaire next door” would score on the OP’s list? I suspect that not only would he not score well but could care less about his score. What’s the old saying? “It’s not what you make but rather, what you keep.” I’d like to think we’ve done a good job balancing all of it.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:48 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,036,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I wonder how the average “The millionaire next door” would score on the OP’s list? I suspect that not only would he not score well but could care less about his score. What’s the old saying? “It’s not what you make but rather, what you keep.” I’d like to think we’ve done a good job balancing all of it.
I'm not the average millionaire next door because I am single, never married, without children. I do not score very high on that list. As far as NPR, I own multiple HD radios so that I can listen to classical music on WKSU-FM instead of NPR.

I agree with the saying. It makes life a lot less stressful when you're not worrying about making ends meet.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:04 PM

6,702 posts, read 6,886,429 times
Too many of the points sound more liberal to me and have nothing to do with income or class status. Also, the average house is over 2,500 square feet now - new construction - so that doesn’t really say much. That’s not a big house at all. It’s “ok.” For a family it’s tiny if you ask me, good for 2 people at most.

Most of the list is nonsense that reminds of the extreme liberals I hated in Portland, not the wealthier people where I live now.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:05 PM

1,741 posts, read 763,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I'm not the average millionaire next door because I am single, never married, without children. I do not score very high on that list. As far as NPR, I own multiple HD radios so that I can listen to classical music on WKSU-FM instead of NPR.

I agree with the saying. It makes life a lot less stressful when you're not worrying about making ends meet.
I’m more of a classic rock person myself.

Financially, we didn’t get “there” until my mid-50’s but dang, it really accelerated from that point. It helped tremendously that my wife was in the same page. She’s worked full time since she was 13 and having grown up poor, she knows how to work and save.

Now, retirement will be good and with one card left to play, it could be great. Unfortunately, that’s for others to determine and I won’t know the results for years. Que sera sera... I might not even make it until then. Lol

Old 05-28-2020, 02:01 AM

227 posts, read 181,992 times
1. You own a large, flat-screen TV, but it's NOT in the living room. Your living room perhaps contains books or a grand piano.

We got a big screen every where in the house. If you piano lessons they teaching for free a church chior rehearsal

2. Your father went to college, your mother most likely went to college, all your brothers and sisters and cousins except the black sheep of the extended family attended at least some college, and your family's college education stretches back generations (except if you're newly upper middle class).

Newly upper middle class, mother went to college, and father works as head of state, county, and city department (firefighter/police Commissioner, correctional warden, recreational supervisor, sheriff, head of public works) and mother works medical department (doctor, charge nurse, np, pa,,)

3. When traveling, you prefer to choose destinations that are "not touristy" and give an "authentic" taste of local life.

When travelling we like going to places that were least likely to hear n-word from non blacks and often times the majority look like me so Atlanta, D.C. Philly, Chicago, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, and many parts of Africa. I'm not wasting my time going somewhere that I will most likely be alienated... No thanks

4. You listen to NPR in the car.

We also listen to podcast about economic development

5. If 35 or older, you participate in the community through being on the board of some local chapter of an organization, or extensively volunteering for it with your valuable free time.

I'm not 35 yet but culturally we organize with our hbcu fraternity and sorority family.

6. If you're male, you golf, if not for the love of it than because of social pressure.

Golf is boring, we have adult basketball teams, flag football teams and bowling teams. The older I get bowling is my safer bet.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:57 AM

8,952 posts, read 17,523,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Too many of the points sound more liberal to me and have nothing to do with income or class status. Also, the average house is over 2,500 square feet now - new construction - so that doesn’t really say much. That’s not a big house at all. It’s “ok.” For a family it’s tiny if you ask me, good for 2 people at most.
But that big new house is probably in the exburbs far away from jobs, unique boutique shopping areas and cultural amenities and those newer areas have also typically not established high levels of K-12 school quality yet. In many metro areas, the UMC clusters tend to be in established inner ring suburbs that were often built out at some point between 1965 and 1980 with 'executive' home size in those places to match the times. New construction in those areas tends to involve tearing down an existing home in poor condition and neighborhood pressure often limits the size of the replacement home allowed in order to prevent the McMansionization of the neighborhood.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 1,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thx for the insight into upper-cruster Asian thought & life ways, though.
I've said a few times in both of my comments so far that I'm not upper middle class, and have never been. I grew up squarely middle class, and never rose above that. I was emphasizing in my comments that Asian Americans can totally have the interests that the OP and New England woman are talking about and NOT be UMC. As I wrote previously, it's because Asian Americans tend to be educated, have educated immigrant parents, consume lots of media, and live in liberal areas where these interests are standard.

And I have to emphasize again that Asians are NOT the lowly, rote, robotic, boring, non-intellectual, backwards people that non-Asians usually think we are. If anything, Asian Americans tend to be a lot more intellectual, cultured, hip, hipster, multi-faceted, compassionate, nuanced, and well-rounded than others.

In every experimental or "activist" book reading from any ethnicity, I'll definitely see other Asian Americans there. In every protest, I'll see Asians. In every hiking trail, even far off from any big city in California, I'll see Asians. In every indie rock/hip hop concert or festival, I'll see Asians. So no one should be surprised that Asian Americans have these tastes that are often way more sophisticated and developed than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics