Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:33 PM

1,409 posts, read 4,853,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I would rather move to a rural area with a gas well or some water source for power. City life involves too many sacrifices and I would rather be in an area of rural residents. Wood and bio-mass are good last resorts.
Amen! I detest big city life as it is, and would love to find a nice small town or rural area to move to (like where I'm from)

There are much better ways to save energy than being cramped into a tiny, expensive chicken-coop they call an "apartment" in a huge steel-and-concrete jungle and living above/below/between people you have nothing in common with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 07:16 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,510,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, we are in the market for a Motorhome to expand our road trips.

We live in a somewhat "rural" area and my daily commute to my office is about 90 miles -

Neither of the above is going to change -

Burn, baby, burn.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,639 posts, read 57,672,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Burn, baby, burn.
Yeah, I'm into the driving thing too, I'd like to pick up one of the Sprinter conversions for a mini motor home... they are spendy, but a friend that has one gets 24 - 28 mpg. Unfortunately it would be too tight to live in. I know another couple that uses a Volvo Condo Sleeper Semi tractor to pull a 40' 5th wheel. They get 10 mpg, but have a Diesel (Canadian) Smart Car piggy back on the truck, so can get 70 mpg when they arrive. Unfortunately the US 'SmartCar is 2 " too long to fit 'cross-ways', and only comes with a gasoline engine

Here is another friend's solution to a 'boycott' (an electric VW Rabbit, with a 'diesel' pusher for long trips )
EV Pusher

Yet another solution is to join the ranks of retired folks who are driving big rigs to satisfy their wanderlust. You can find a private or smaller carrier that will not run you ragged, or buy your own truck and use the internet for finding EZ backhauls. There is always someone that is willing to take the crummy loads, cuz they need to make payments, you can just take the gravy, since you are not in a hurry. (and add a fuel 'surcharge' to boot!) Isn't it ironic the motor carriers have had such a run of profit in the last few years?

Old 11-20-2007, 08:30 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,895,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Yeah, I'm into the driving thing too, I'd like to pick up one of the Sprinter conversions for a mini motor home... they are spendy, but a friend that has one gets 24 - 28 mpg. Unfortunately it would be too tight to live in. I know another couple that uses a Volvo Condo Sleeper Semi tractor to pull a 40' 5th wheel. They get 10 mpg, but have a Diesel (Canadian) Smart Car piggy back on the truck, so can get 70 mpg when they arrive. Unfortunately the US 'SmartCar is 2 " too long to fit 'cross-ways', and only comes with a gasoline engine

Here is another friend's solution to a 'boycott' (an electric VW Rabbit, with a 'diesel' pusher for long trips )
EV Pusher

Yet another solution is to join the ranks of retired folks who are driving big rigs to satisfy their wanderlust. You can find a private or smaller carrier that will not run you ragged, or buy your own truck and use the internet for finding EZ backhauls. There is always someone that is willing to take the crummy loads, cuz they need to make payments, you can just take the gravy, since you are not in a hurry. (and add a fuel 'surcharge' to boot!) Isn't it ironic the motor carriers have had such a run of profit in the last few years?
This is crazy ,for anyone to go out and buy a 100,000 rig , just because of the fuel sur charge....... You are a Trucker , or , you are not a Trucker. Its not an occupation to take lightly, most fail within a year that try it , " just for the fun "........ Not a job , for the weak,. Its a way of life , thats it.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:14 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,536,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomegranate View Post
I feel freer now that we've gone to one car than when we had two, and I anticipate a change in pace and convenience when we get rid of the second one, so it doesn't scare me. I figure I've spent tons of money on devaluing cars over the years, and the thought of THAT is troubling. After doing some research, I do think there are walkable/bikeable places where the cost of living isn't exorbitant. I'm sure we'll have to also live smaller, but that doesn't bother us much at all. At one point we had a large house, and sold it after 3 years when we saw that we hardly used 50% of it. I guess it's all about what you're willing to trade for the things you value. If we want a road trip, we'll just rent a car for a weekend. Still much cheaper than owning! And if I can contribute just a little bit to reducing our use of gas, that's just icing on the cake. If more of us looked around and decided to live in more walkable areas, then I think we'd have a lot more of them.
I agree. I loved living in a walkable city. Expensive in some ways, but at least I never had car problems, and had to fork over 50.00 to get gas to get anywhere.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 PM

201 posts, read 904,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
No more. Over 90.00 a barrel; the last time oil was this high was in 1980.

I am looking towards living in a city again, and no longer will be buying gas, ever.

If you are boycotting gas in an attempt to get the prices lower, this is a fruitless endeavor.

If you talk to any commodities trader, they will tell you that oil has largely outstripped its end user supply and demand curve. The prices are being set by speculators and hedgers who create huge swings in the market with the slightest news either way.

No matter how many people boycott gas, its not going to cause the desired results for a tremendously long time, pretty much until refineries no longer are buying crude, and the commodity traders cant unload it with a stick. Just the government and business needs alone of China and the US will ensure that this never happens.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal_Poison View Post
If you are boycotting gas in an attempt to get the prices lower, this is a fruitless endeavor.
You might have this application a little askew -- If they are boycotting (i.e., not buying) they do not need to be directly concerned about the price.

They would be saving a ton of money directly by simply not buying it. Does not matter whether everyone or no one else buys it. They win with every gallon they do not buy.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:49 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,536,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
You might have this application a little askew -- If they are boycotting (i.e., not buying) they do not need to be directly concerned about the price.

They would be saving a ton of money directly by simply not buying it. Does not matter whether everyone or no one else buys it. They win with every gallon they do not buy.

Exactly. I dont own stock in Halliburton.

I am sick of driving and the obsessive spending this country is coming to. Its fruitless.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 11-22-2007 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-23-2007, 06:38 AM

4,510 posts, read 6,751,553 times
It's interesting that the SMART car was featured in our local paper this past week. The US version will be equipped with a 1.0 litter gas engine and reported mpg of 35 city and 40 highway.

That's hardly worth buying that vehicle when a Toyota Corolla gets similar mileage and provides more power, seating, and comfort. Outside the US market the SMART car offers a diesel with mpg in the 70s. That would be worthwhile.

The other alternative, the hybrid, is far from a green machine because of the battery issue. There is much concern that an accident with these vehicles in the right conditions could be an environmental nightmare. Not to mention that I recently heard that someone needed to have all the batteries replaced at 104k miles and it ran them close to $10k.

Clean diesel/biodiesel is where the focus should be in the short-term while we perfect the fuel-cell or other replacement technology.

In terms of infrastructure cities and highly-populated suburbs should be focussing on pedestrian-friendly smart growth encompassing self-sustaining building technologies. Old mill towns and cities could capitalize on clean-slate type development which truly incorporate 21st-century technology to create opportunities to reinvigorate their communities with new people and businesses.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Exactly. I dont own stock in Halliburton.

I am sick of driving and the obsessive spending this country is coming to. Its fruitless.
Sure. If you look at what the masses of asses are doing at any given time, it is usually the not best path to be on. Along the lines of what I think you are saying maps closely to the traditional Amish -- not that I hear you are saying black buggies, quaint bonnets, and using ye and thee in your speech -- but rather that comsumptive behavior is not a smart path.

If you look at the economic portion of the Amish model -- No debt, spend less than make, take care of your family first, share with your community and neighbors as you can . . . all of these lead to wealth for individuals and the community at large. From what I follow, the Amish are the wealthiest group of Americans. Not that worship of wealth is worthy goal -- it just can be used a functional measure of if a method works. And you do not see them running their mouths about buy this, buy that.

On the other hand, the consumer debtor portion of America are the greatest debtors the world has ever seen. So how do you think that is goinig to turn out? Like you mentioned -- Halliburton -- was headed into bankruptcy under Cheney as CEO, and was only bailed out by the political corruption that allowed them to escape liability for injured workers, and then the kickback-no bid contracts for the Iraqicide. The folks leading US are economic idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics