Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times

Advertisements

No more. Over 90.00 a barrel; the last time oil was this high was in 1980.

I am looking towards living in a city again, and no longer will be buying gas, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

I am looking towards living in a city again, and no longer will be buying gas, ever.
What city? Usually you have to pay more in rent to live in the city.

greenie

Old 11-07-2007, 06:47 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,206 times
What about heating your home, even electricity uses some form of fuel to keep their power plants going. To not use fuel at all is mostly impossible these days.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:54 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,756 times
Default I am with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

this is the way to go. I moved to a small town I can walk to EVERYTHING.. Grocery, post office, doctor..if it is not too bad!!!!! Cut back on the gas folks...It is not helping anyone and it is hurting alot

Old 11-07-2007, 08:23 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
I ride my bicycle to work and back (approximately 25 miles each way) year round. I ride the bike or walk to most errands around my town. I have a car but often it only gets used a little bit on weekends. Here in southern california, the temperatures are mild enough so that I use almost no AC during the summer and very little heat in winter (I live in a second story apartment and I think the apartment below me leaves their heat on quite a bit in winter, so my place stays comfy too). All my lights are low energy florescent, my electric bill averages $20 per month and natural gas averages $10 per month. That's pretty "carbon lite".

Old 11-08-2007, 06:05 AM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I ride my bicycle to work and back (approximately 25 miles each way) year round. I ride the bike or walk to most errands around my town. I have a car but often it only gets used a little bit on weekends. Here in southern california, the temperatures are mild enough so that I use almost no AC during the summer and very little heat in winter (I live in a second story apartment and I think the apartment below me leaves their heat on quite a bit in winter, so my place stays comfy too). All my lights are low energy florescent, my electric bill averages $20 per month and natural gas averages $10 per month. That's pretty "carbon lite".
Are you kidding me 25 miles one way (50 miles round trip). I wish I could do that too, but I drive half on a busy hwy and then the other half on an interstate where the speed limit is 60 mph. So I live about 19 miles from work. I would have to go another way if I rode my bike which I could go straight through downtown rather than loop around the interstate which would cut off a few miles. So let's say 16 miles, would probably take me 1½ hours in traffic. I just don't think I could do that back and forth to work everyday. There are also a few big hills etc...not to mention I would have to leave much earlier and come home later.

I would love to ride my bike to work, but the distance, dealing with the traffic, biking when it's dark, and riding in the cold and heat...plus the fact that Raleigh is not so much of a biking friendly city, would probably kill me...literally.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
What about heating your home, even electricity uses some form of fuel to keep their power plants going. To not use fuel at all is mostly impossible these days.
Central heat in warmer states- so no big oil In NY (10 years ago) I had a furnace-oil heat- It cost 600.00 per month in the winter I cannot even imagine how hard/expensive it will be for some people this year

I have lived in cities before, so dont mind paying-lol. Walking is healthier, I am sick of paying gas, and car problems to boot.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I would rather move to a rural area with a gas well or some water source for power. City life involves too many sacrifices and I would rather be in an area of rural residents. Wood and bio-mass are good last resorts.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:01 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,654 times
I really miss living in a city. I had a car, but I only put 4k on it a year.

Quote:
I live in a second story apartment and I think the apartment below me leaves their heat on quite a bit in winter
In colder climates the savings are pretty dramatic. I would always look for top story apartments and would only have to turn on the heat when it dropped below 25 or so.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:01 PM

When I lived in Boston I only needed the heat in December, sometimes January. Also had a fireplace, so that helped a great deal. And my transport to work was less than 30.00 per month by the T......wow I was saving at least 200.00 a month on gas alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics