Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,252 times

Advertisements

I recently switched from a T-Mobile contract account to a T-Mobile prepaid account. Needless to say I spent a good week researching and comparing.

A great site I came across is All Prepaid Plans, which has a running list of the main prepaid providers and the plans.

All Prepaid Cell Phone Carriers and Plans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
I have Boost Mobile Prepaid. 90 days until expiration. You can add more money (as little as $10) before expiration and it expands expiration another 90 days. Lots of other carriers expire in 30 days when small dollar amts.

Boost is great of you rarely use a cell phone. I get a cheap phone for under $50.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
I have tracfone, you can get the phone for $18 or $20 dollars and with the family plan you pay $8.50 a month for one phone and $5.50 for the others to have units added automatically. No contract, and you can buy more units as you need them if you go over. They have double for life minutes so if you buy 200 "minutes" you get 400 minutes of talk time, more of text time.

Or you can get a year service so you don't lose your number if you forget to add minutes, and it comes out to about $8 a month.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,252 times
New year, big update.

I've indexed 54 prepaid companies, neatly organized by network.

http:/www.allprepaidplans.com

Old 03-14-2014, 04:52 AM

37 posts, read 61,561 times
Both Solavei, Simple Mobile, and NOW Metro PCS use T-Mobile's network. The last time I checked all of these companies had better rates than T-Mobile and the crazy part is the reception is the same. I remember that Solavei had a slight edge because they offered unlimited 4g internet.

In my opinion EVERY CELL PHONE COMPANY SUCKS somewhere. So if you need other options Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile are good options. These two companies are owned by Sprint, so again the reception would be identical to Sprint's network.

This isn't always the case. Some prepaid companies, like Trac Phone in the past, they would only lease select towers from a large carrier's network. So their coverage would be very spotty.

Hope this helps!~

Old 03-14-2014, 08:53 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
I have Virgin Mobile, $35 bucks a month 4G (3G in my case because Sprint LTE has not yet been deployed in my area) It does not have the newest phones but I'm one to keep a phone for many years so it is good in my case.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:50 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have tracfone, you can get the phone for $18 or $20 dollars and with the family plan you pay $8.50 a month for one phone and $5.50 for the others to have units added automatically. No contract, and you can buy more units as you need them if you go over. They have double for life minutes so if you buy 200 "minutes" you get 400 minutes of talk time, more of text time.

Or you can get a year service so you don't lose your number if you forget to add minutes, and it comes out to about $8 a month.
I have been using tracfone for several years and I have been happy with it for <$10/mo. I've been using a cheap flip phone but I just got one of the tracfone androids to try out (ZTE Valet). I haven't transferred my service or phone number to it yet. I'm going to play with it as a wifi device for a while and think about if I want to use it as a phone too. I'm not sure if the minutes/texts/data buckets they use for these android phones will work for me.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:32 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I've been running an iphone on Straight Talk (AT&T/Tracfone/whatever) for a couple years. Used to have to jailbreak to get it going but now it just works. $45 a month for "unlimited" but they don't like heavy users I hear. I'm a light user.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:07 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've been running an iphone on Straight Talk (AT&T/Tracfone/whatever) for a couple years. Used to have to jailbreak to get it going but now it just works. $45 a month for "unlimited" but they don't like heavy users I hear. I'm a light user.
Straight Talk seems like the best deal going to me. Ordering the 1 yr service card makes it about $41/month. I believe you can even use some Verizon phones now. Another good plan for light data users is the $30 Page Plus plan with 500mb/1200 minutes.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:35 AM

699 posts, read 1,014,394 times
Can anyone tell me what is the most practical and easiest way to get cell phone service in the states? I live overseas and will visit family in June -July...2 months total. I have an old verizon Motorola razor cell phone.
Does anyone know if I can use it with a carrier that does not require me to commit to a contract? How do these prepaid plans work? Do you have to buy their phone too? Any suggestion or info is appreciated.

Edit ......my husband will need a phone too, so two phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics