Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 11:03 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
Cognitive dissonance, anyone? This is what Reaganism and Romneyism produce. After 35 years of warnings, some inkling of the matter should have crept in here somewhere.

No cognitive dissonance here. The Reagan administration single handedly destroyed the American middle class.

There has not been a true middle class since the early 80s and it's been in decline ever since. It will take more than two centrist Democratic presidents - Clinton and Obama - to turn things around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Wages have not been stagnant. Taxes on the middle class have increased which eat away at wage increases.
This is simply not true. Taxes have actually dropped for middle and low income earners. Wages, however, have been stagnant for the bottom 50-60%.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:58 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is simply not true. Taxes have actually dropped for middle and low income earners. Wages, however, have been stagnant for the bottom 50-60%.
Much of that 50-60% issue is due to people not transitioning well to a knowledge-based economy.I suspect and see in my own family the younger gens are not experiencing that problem.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:21 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

Really? Prior to 1965, I paid no state income tax in Michigan and the state sales tax was only 3%. My social security taxes were lower as were my property tax rates. And we all know gas taxes were lower. I had far more income tax deductions 40+ years ago.

So tell me which middle class taxes are lower today than they were in 1960.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:55 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
I watched the documentary today and I thought that it was well crafted and heart wrenching.

A few things deserve a closer look. After the first 20-25 minutes, I had a very good idea of which family was going to lose their home, and which would not.
One family pulled together in crisis, the other pulled apart.

I realize that this is a psychological observation and not an economic one, but it speaks to how people will fare when times are hard.

Another observation, right now, as the right wing attempts to raise interest rates on student loans, and appears to be telling people that a college education is "worthless" ( while sending their own children to college) it is obvious which children did the best out of the two families.

The one who did the best was the one with a four year college education - the eldest son of the Stanley family.

He was, if I remember correctly; the only one to obtain a Bachelor's degree.

At the bottom, in terms of outcome; are the Newman sons. One dropped out of high school, and the other graduated. What neither boy did was prevent unplanned pregnancies. Their responsibilities as fathers held them back in terms of finances and education.
One of the son's was suckered into attending a proprietary trade school.

The absolute worst and most sickening aspect of the program, was the avariciousness of the banks who were unwilling to work with the families.

I can remember my father saying once that "banks are not in the Real Estate business - they don't want a man's house, they want his money."

Perhaps that was true in his day - the 60s and 70s. Today that does not seem to hold true at all.

A sad state of affairs.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:19 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I watched the documentary today and I thought that it was well crafted and heart wrenching.

A few things deserve a closer look. After the first 20-25 minutes, I had a very good idea of which family was going to lose their home, and which would not.
One family pulled together in crisis, the other pulled apart.

I realize that this is a psychological observation and not an economic one, but it speaks to how people will fare when times are hard.

Another observation, right now, as the right wing attempts to raise interest rates on student loans, and appears to be telling people that a college education is "worthless" ( while sending their own children to college) it is obvious which children did the best out of the two families.

The one who did the best was the one with a four year college education - the eldest son of the Stanley family.

He was, if I remember correctly; the only one to obtain a Bachelor's degree.

At the bottom, in terms of outcome; are the Newman sons. One dropped out of high school, and the other graduated. What neither boy did was prevent unplanned pregnancies. Their responsibilities as fathers held them back in terms of finances and education.
One of the son's was suckered into attending a proprietary trade school.

The absolute worst and most sickening aspect of the program, was the avariciousness of the banks who were unwilling to work with the families.

I can remember my father saying once that "banks are not in the Real Estate business - they don't want a man's house, they want his money."

Perhaps that was true in his day - the 60s and 70s. Today that does not seem to hold true at all.

A sad state of affairs.
The documentary was very sad and moving. One thing I noticed is that there are two options from watching this film. The black family some what sticked together while the white family all split. Right now Im at that very crossroads on rather staying or spliting.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:45 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,731,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
However, if they want to pay for benefits and entitlements, which they will never receive, this is the country to sneak into.
Fixed that for ya.

"Taxes contributed

Most arguments against illegal immigration begin with the premise that the illegal don't pay income taxes, and that they therefore take more in services than they contribute. However, IRS estimates that about 6 million unauthorized immigrants file individual income tax returns each year.[22] Research reviewed by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office indicates that between 50 percent and 75 percent of unauthorized immigrants pay federal, state, and local taxes.[22] illegal immigrants are estimated to pay in about $7 billion per year into Social Security.[27] In addition, they spend millions of dollars per year, which supports the US economy and helps to create new jobs. The Texas State Comptroller reported in 2006 that the 1.4 million illegal immigrants in Texas alone added almost $18 billion to the state's budget, and paid $1.2 billion in state services they used.[28]
The Social Security and Medicare contributions of illegal immigrants directly support older Americans, as illegal immigrants are not eligible to receive these services.[29] The Internal Revenue Service issues an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have Federal tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code. Federal tax law prohibits the IRS from sharing data with other government agencies including the INS. In 2006 1.4 million people used ITIN when filing taxes, of which more than half were illegal immigrants.[30]
Social Security subsidization

illegal immigrants pay social security payroll taxes but are not eligible for benefits. During 2006, Standard & Poor's analysts wrote: "Each year, for example, the U.S. Social Security Administration maintains roughly $6 billion to $7 billion of Social Security contributions in an "earnings suspense file"—an account for W-2 tax forms that cannot be matched to the correct Social Security number. The vast majority of these numbers are attributable to illegal workers who will never claim their benefits."[31]
The Social Security Administration has stated that it believes unauthorized work by non-citizens is a major cause of wage items being posted as erroneous wage reports instead of on an individual's earnings record.[32] When Social Security numbers are already in use; names do not match the numbers or the numbers are fake, or the person of record is too old, young, dead etc., the earnings reported to the Social Security Agency are put in an Earnings Suspense file [ESF]. The Social Security spends about $100 million a year and corrects all but about 2% of these. From tax years 1937 through 2003 the ESF had accumulated about 255 million mismatched wage reports, representing $520 billion in wages and about $75 billion in employment taxes paid into the over $1.5 trillion in the Social Security Trust funds. As of October 2005, approximately 8.8 million wage reports, representing $57.8 billion in wages remained unresolved in the suspense file for tax year 2003."

Old 07-14-2013, 10:48 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
I have to admit I was rather impressed with the African-American father in this show. I really admired not only his strong work ethic, but also his attitude. He seemed like he was a happy person despite the struggles he had been through (and continued to face). There are people who are able to do that and I admire them because I am not that way so much. As a side-note, he was also very handsome and had a great smile. I thought he and his wife were a very attractive couple.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by andywire
"Here in many parts of Chicago, the illegals live 12 to an apartment and each contributes to paying the rent."

Even though they have taken all the "good jobs" and are swimming in government subsidies and entitlements? If only they'd go home and give those jobs to honest citizens, they too could enjoy that high standard of living.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
it doesn't exist. It's a figment of a deluded imagination. At the bottom line, us corporate taxes are modest to non-existent across many key industries and heaviest for those who can most easily afford them. And these regulations that you lament merely deliver producers from the evil of an array of anti-social, anti-human practices. this is a good thing to all non-villains.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics