Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 02:32 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,468,021 times

Advertisements

The economic consequences will be higher and/or more severe poverty, along with a more sluggish economy.

If you want to practice Conservative economics, then ending SNAP will magically lower the unemployment rate and create good paying jobs since people now have the incentive to go out and better themselves, essentially revitalizing the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,076,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
There are slight variations by state (bow hunting equipment is eligible in rural Alaska, for instance), but the eligibility guidelines are set by Congress.

SNAP Eligible Food Items
I know there are states (California, if I remember correctly) where some fast food items are eligible for food stamps. Whether this is SNAP or a state program that hinges on, I do not know.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,365,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I know there are states (California, if I remember correctly) where some fast food items are eligible for food stamps. Whether this is SNAP or a state program that hinges on, I do not know.
Some outlets that might be considered "fast food" places (Subway, Pizza Hut, KFC, etc.) can become SNAP participating merchants. This is per voluntary state- or county-level implementation of federal Restaurant Meals Program allowances that have existed since 1977 and typically come to apply in urban areas where non-restaurant food oulets are scarce and there is a population of homeless, elderly, and disabled SNAP beneficiaries who may lack facilities to store or cook food.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 AM

762 posts, read 1,096,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite
And as always, most of the fraud is by participating merchants, not by recipients. It's all those energetic small business owners trying bilk the taxpayer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer
In Minnesota, if I remember correctly, SNAP (food stamp) recipients are not allowed to have more than $2,000 in combined assets, their house and first car, living items, etc. excluded.
Why not include the house & car assets when determining eligibility!? Humm, looks like the middle class & business owners' are ALSO getting help feeding their families?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus
Poverty level is an outdated method, and is relative to where someone lives. My opinion is the income and asset level is too high for people to be eligible for food stamps. I will love to see this knocked down some, as well as restricting the requirements for eligibility.
Me too. These programs have morphed into middle class/business owner welfare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus
As for the sterotyping; I disagree; many people have experience with SNAP users, not everyone with a negative opinion has no experience with SNAP. Many people have family, friends, aquaintenances, run small businesses, etc; and have a lot of exposure to people who use SNAP. Given how many people are on SNAP, I would say there is a good chance of people knowing someone in some way that uses SNAP.
EXACTLY! Middle class/business owner hypocrisy!—denigrating food stamp welfare while they are ALSO benefiting from these program(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite=
Some outlets that might be considered "fast food" places (Subway, Pizza Hut, KFC, etc.) can become SNAP participating merchants. This is per voluntary state- or county-level implementation of federal Restaurant Meals Program allowances that have existed since 1977 and typically come to apply in urban areas where non-restaurant food oulets are scarce and there is a population of homeless, elderly, and disabled SNAP beneficiaries who may lack facilities to store or cook food.
More examples of middle class/business owner cloaking while the lower classes get ridiculed.

I'm a very judgmental person, but I still don't know what a food stamp card looks like—I make it a point of NOT looking! I understand that @ the end of the day, it's the 21st century bourgeois that are responsible for morally corrupting the economy!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
Why not include the house & car assets when determining eligibility!? Humm, looks like the middle class & business owners' are ALSO getting help feeding their families? These programs have morphed into middle class/business owner welfare.
This is the theory that 130% of poverty level makes one middle class. SNAP includes both income and asset tests. Any idea why that is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
More examples of middle class/business owner cloaking while the lower classes get ridiculed. I'm a very judgmental person, but I still don't know what a food stamp card looks like—I make it a point of NOT looking! I understand that @ the end of the day, it's the 21st century bourgeois that are responsible for morally corrupting the economy!
Low-grade nonsense. You are simply an anti-realist if you reject the plain fact that the homeless elderly, and disabled populations of inner city neighborhoods often lack the means to store and cook food, and that the Restaurant Meals Program opens avenues to proper nutrition to these folks. I have mentioned somewhere around here that a certain element will not be happy until we have more starvation in the streets. Thanks for providing all this extra evidence backing up that point.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:29 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,668,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
The economic consequences will be higher and/or more severe poverty, along with a more sluggish economy.

If you want to practice Conservative economics, then ending SNAP will magically lower the unemployment rate and create good paying jobs since people now have the incentive to go out and better themselves, essentially revitalizing the economy.
Conservative Economics also want removal of Minimum wages, Public Transportation. Less infrastructure combined with more guns and more tax cuts for the Super-Rich. I cant see economy moving forward with that.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:22 AM

It's all about moving forward toward New Feudalism. Vast concentrations of wealth among the few at the top. Widespread distribution of hardship and deprivation among the many at the bottom. There is no middle.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,536,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
No, it isn't any of your business at all. You have no say, interest, control, or right to tax dollars once you pay them. Tax dollars are no different from the dollars you fork over at the end of the grocery store checkout line. They are NOT YOURS anymore. Period. If you don't like what some level of government is doing with ITS funds, write a letter to your representative. That is your sole recourse.
Wrong. The whole American Revolution, our whole existence as a nation was over unfair taxes. We do have a right to say what becomes of our hard earned incomes. We're not supposed to be a dictatorship.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:11 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,090,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Wrong. The whole American Revolution, our whole existence as a nation was over unfair taxes. We do have a right to say what becomes of our hard earned incomes. We're not supposed to be a dictatorship.
SNAP isn't very analogous to the dynamic between colonial America and England....

Old 07-22-2013, 11:27 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,716,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You may have a say in how much you are taxed by voting and influencing your politicians.
By placing your vote you are endorsing that parties financial agenda, like it or not.

But, as to how the money is spent, not really.

In the end the majority decides. That is not a dictatorship, it is a democracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics