U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What theory is the Fed operating under
Austrian 0 0%
Kenitian 7 70.00%
MMT 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:16 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,772,205 times

Advertisements

Of the these three economic theories, Austrian, Keynesian, and MMT, which do you feel most closely reflects the one the Fed is actually operating under?
Do you think our current theory is working well, or would you change it if you were in charge.
Apologies for the typo... can't correct it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:25 AM

31,850 posts, read 72,988,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Of the these three economic theories, Austrian, Keynesian, and MMT,
which do you feel most closely reflects the one the Fed is actually operating under?
Add #4) Magic 8 Ball

Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 AM

4,767 posts, read 3,377,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Add #4) Magic 8 Ball
OK, beat me to it!

So, I'll go with, "Try it, you'll like it!"

Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,161,639 times
Well, no points for any of our players so far, including the one who was silly enough to ask the original question.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:15 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,772,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
Well, no points for any of our players so far, including the one who was silly enough to ask the original question.
I thought that at least some of the people here who pretend to understand economics would be capable of understanding the question, but as I am discovering the depth of education here is somewhat less than I had hoped.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 PM

5,560 posts, read 23,107,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Add #4) Magic 8 Ball
Yup. Whatever looks like it will keep me out of hot water till I am out of this office.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:01 PM

28,900 posts, read 50,242,110 times
Evidently, a chimp with a spinner.

BERNANKE: "Okay, WonderChimp, let's see how long we'll do QE now. Ready, Chimp?"

WONDERCHIMP: "OooookOoookAhhhAhhhh..." [Spinning noises]

FLUNKY: "Mr. Chairman, the spinner is stuck between 'Slash Interest Rates' and 'Issue vague wordy proclamation that the economy is on the right track.'"

BERNANKE: "Well, I guess we do both, then. Thanks, WonderChimp! Here's a banana!"

WONDERCHIMP: "OokOokOokOok."

Old 07-19-2013, 03:18 PM

795 posts, read 1,305,330 times
Keynesian. QE is inherently Keynesian and Ben has, to me, generally shown Keynesian tendencies.

I wouldn't change a thing about Fed policy. My attention on change would be focused towards business investment, cash hoarding and credit deleveraging.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:24 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,161,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I thought that at least some of the people here who pretend to understand economics would be capable of understanding the question, but as I am discovering the depth of education here is somewhat less than I had hoped.
Really? The Heritage Foundation hues to what might be called an economic theory. So does the Mises Institute. But these are mere propagagnda mills. They are not serious enterprises under any legitimate understanding of the term. The Fed is quite different. It is not out to prove anything, to sell anything, or to help get anyone elected or unelected. The tasks of the Fed are to maintain long-run growth in monetary and credit aggregates commensurate with the economy's long-run potential to increase production, and to promote the goals of maximum employment, stable prices, and moderate long-term interest rates. You can't do that with stupid theory. The Fed uses the broad range of its skills and experiences to develop and implement policies that support those missions. modfiying and updating them as changing real-world conditions may warrant or dictate. What "econmomic theory" do you think that is?

Old 07-19-2013, 03:24 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,373,474 times
I would lean towards monetarist, but both monetarist and Keynesian monetary policy are largely demand side management. While Bernanke may lean more towards a monetarist school of monetary thought, he has called on the President and Congress to do more, essentially invoking Keynesian fiscal policy to accommodate his loose monetary policy. I agree with him. The main culprit holding back recovery are Congressional Republicans.

As far as I am concerned, Bernanke is the only responsible macro economic agent. Without the expansionary policy the Fed has been conducting, the economy would be in worse shape.

Congress and the President are failing to live up to their half of the Full Employment Act of 1946. While Obama and the Dems are not beating the drum loud enough on what to do, Republicans are selfishly concerned about themselves and would rather obstruct for the sake of obstructing.

There is only so much that the Fed can do being stuck at a ZLB interest rate. The only other tool in they have is capping or fining ER, which I don't believe is a tool that they should use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics