Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 10:44 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times

Advertisements

Not sure this is this correct place to post this. I want to start a non-profit but need some guidance. Tax wise, ease wise and all around best way to go is a 501c3? I see there are other types but don't understand the difference. Also, I am disabled on SSDI so don't want to mess with that. I'm bedridden most of the time but try and help others/animals when I can, mostly via the internet. My idea has been sitting for two yrs waiting for me to get better but I'm tired of waiting and not having a purpose so going to start it. I have a friend that agreed to help and step in when I'm too sick to drive/leave the house so I want to get going on it. Any suggestions on how to begin? I dont have money, just medical bills so I can't do anything that has a lot of start up costs. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:03 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Not sure this is this correct place to post this. I want to start a non-profit but need some guidance. Tax wise, ease wise and all around best way to go is a 501c3? I see there are other types but don't understand the difference. Also, I am disabled on SSDI so don't want to mess with that. I'm bedridden most of the time but try and help others/animals when I can, mostly via the internet. My idea has been sitting for two yrs waiting for me to get better but I'm tired of waiting and not having a purpose so going to start it. I have a friend that agreed to help and step in when I'm too sick to drive/leave the house so I want to get going on it. Any suggestions on how to begin? I dont have money, just medical bills so I can't do anything that has a lot of start up costs. Thank you!
What is your project, your charitable focus? What's your proposal? The IRS rules are very strict about awarding 501c3 status. Do you have a board of directors for your proposed organization? That's your first step.

It's best to hire a lawyer for the application process, or get a volunteer with experience with the application process.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What is your project, your charitable focus? What's your proposal? The IRS rules are very strict about awarding 501c3 status. Do you have a board of directors for your proposed organization? That's your first step.

It's best to hire a lawyer for the application process, or get a volunteer with experience with the application process.
Thank you. Without getting to every detail, it's a "do good deeds" group of volunteers I want to form. The only reason We would need or even reach out for donations would be to fund supplies for any good deeds we may do. For example, if one month we as a group went to a senior center to spend a few hours reading books, calling bingo or some type of entertainment, we may need/want to purchase items to bring or maybe bring snacks etc...or if we went to an animal shelter, maybe want to bring bags of food/new leashes for walking etc...I have volunteered for many orgs and many times spent money and happy to do it. If I form this group and we do it several times a month, I thought eventually when we get big enough to really make a difference we may need financial help with it. I'm really just at the beggining stages but have been making notes for a long time of what I'd like to do to make a difference. Right now I have three people but looking for five plus any other volunteers we get. I just read that my state requires three people to form a 501c3. As far as a lawyer, like I said, I have limited funds right now. Would love for that not to be the case but all I can offer personally at this moment is my time.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:24 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
You want guidance from an internet forum for starting a 501c3? Why not find out from the source? Although, Ruth4Truth did give you good advice.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:25 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Google "non profit incubator" and see what you find. Some organizations will host startup organizations under their 501c3 until the startup has its board, donors, etc. in place.

Or make a canvass of existing nonprofits in your area, and ask if they would need a service like you're proposing, and if they'd welcome you as a program of their nonprofit. If it doesn't cost them much, and if it helps fulfill their mission, you might just get an offer to bring your program along. I'm thinking something along the lines of a Family Service organization -- one that has a variety of programs and clients.

You don't necessarily have to become a separate 501c3 in order to do what you're doing, or to raise charitable dollars to support your mission.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
You want guidance from an internet forum for starting a 501c3? Why not find out from the source? Although, Ruth4Truth did give you good advice.
Um yes, thats why I asked. There are thousands of questions on here asking for advice, suggestions, expertise etc...about everything from business to relationships but this question shouldn't be asked? I asked here thinking someone that has done it before can give some advice. Not sure why you even commented, it didnt answer the question or help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Google "non profit incubator" and see what you find. Some organizations will host startup organizations under their 501c3 until the startup has its board, donors, etc. in place.

Or make a canvass of existing nonprofits in your area, and ask if they would need a service like you're proposing, and if they'd welcome you as a program of their nonprofit. If it doesn't cost them much, and if it helps fulfill their mission, you might just get an offer to bring your program along. I'm thinking something along the lines of a Family Service organization -- one that has a variety of programs and clients.

You don't necessarily have to become a separate 501c3 in order to do what you're doing, or to raise charitable dollars to support your mission.
Thank you. Now thats helpful!

Old 08-24-2013, 10:49 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Great point! This is the easy way to do it (you would still need your own board). You could use a church, or other community organization as what is called a "fiscal sponsor", meaning they would serve as your non-profit umbrella organization, if they decide that your mission is in synch with theirs. They'd likely also take approx. 10% (give or take) of any money you raised for administrative costs (bookkeeping).

Old 08-26-2013, 08:04 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Just to do a 501C3 application with the IRS will run you $850.00 to apply. Maybe more now as this was 2 years ago. There are other start up costs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics