Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2020, 12:21 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Some people cannot be helped. Period. And still others, quite frankly shouldn’t be helped.
The question is why is our economy dependent upon this lower caste and why are we under the false belief that population replacement levels are still relevant in a stagflation 2.0 world?

Less children need to be born. There won't be enough living wage jobs. No way around this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 12:36 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
... blah blah blah bootstraps blah blah blah ...

In the USA statistically it takes 4 generations to get to a median income level if that family started off at the lowest income level in the US. In other words, if you are immortal it would take you 160 years to get out of the cycle of poverty. However, this is referring to people who put in just the "average" amount of effort. This of it this way: Should a person who has average skills in Football be entitled to an NFL career? Of course not because if you are average you do not deserve to play in the NFL. So why is it hard for people to understand if you are putting in average effort if you are poor, you will get horrible results.

I was part of the poorest group of Americans while growing up. It took me just 1 year to get out of that group when the average person would require 160 years. This is because I chose to put in extraordinary effort vs others in my group. And even when I made good money I chose to live with my parents (at the cost of my social/dating life) so I could save up money to invest money/buy a really nice place. That's very rare because most people who have enough money to move out of their parents house immediately do so. However, I chose to do the rare thing and it has paid off exponentially. I'm far ahead most people financially because I made that sacrifice early on. You have to develop a mindset of an investor/saver and maintain it for life. And it doesn't mean you you have to count every sheet of toilet paper you use. You can spend lavishly in many areas and still be a saver. Its called being a sensible saver.
It's also called DEPENDING ON YOUR PARENTS to pay for things for you ... although you are writing as if you did it all on your own. How much rent were you paying them? How much for groceries, utilities, etc.? I would not be surprised if you came back now and said "oh of course I paid them" but that will be hard to believe since you did not mention that at all in your post.

And before you say "She [i] must be one of the whiners," I am basically in the same position as you, having gone from a lower-middle-class upbringing to being at least upper-middle-class now, but I don't attribute it all to myself (even though, UNLIKE you, I did not get anything from my parents after I finished high school -- it's a totally bizarre notion to me that they would support me after that, as YOUR PARENTS did to some extent). There was a lot of LUCK involved (which you don't mention at all), plus simply thinking that some things were too stupid to do (like getting pregnant at 16), so I didn't do them. And yes, I worked very hard. But it takes MUCH more than that to "make it" in this "land of opportunity." (And I always found it puzzling that we expect the MOST out of those who start with the LEAST. If they don't "succeed," it's all their own fault -- which is an utterly ridiculous statement.)

Old 10-18-2020, 01:15 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Bezos was born on 3rd base?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/27/how-...st-person.html

"Jeff Bezos was born on January 12, 1964, as Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen. His biological dad, Ted Jorgensen, met and started dating his mother, Jacklyn Gise, when they were both in high school. Jorgensen was 18 and Gise was 16 when she became pregnant. They flew to Mexico with their parents’ money to get married. Jorgensen belonged to a unicycle troupe and worked at a retail store making $1.25 an hour, so he didn’t have much money. He was also “had a habit of drinking too much,” according to “The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon,” by journalist and biographer Brad Stone. When Jeff Bezos was 17 months old, his mom divorced Jorgensen. In 1968, Gise remarried Miguel Bezos, who arrived in Miami in 1962 from Cuba knowing only one word of English: “hamburger.” Jorgensen agreed to let Bezos adopt his son and, at 4 years old, Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen became Jeffrey Preston Bezos."

Dude grew up middle class, went to public schools, and worked at McDonald's as a teenager. What's your definition of second base, being born in a rice field in Cambodia?
It's funny how you completely left out the fact that his parents *GAVE* Bezos a quarter of a million dollars in 1995 to keep Amazon from failing.

And also the fact that his mother was an atomic energy and oil heiress.

Old 10-18-2020, 07:08 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It's funny how you completely left out the fact that his parents *GAVE* Bezos a quarter of a million dollars in 1995 to keep Amazon from failing.

And also the fact that his mother was an atomic energy and oil heiress.
Really? His parents investing 250k in 1995, when Bezos was in his 30s and already had a job on Wall Street, is what you describe as being born on 3rd base?

Heiress? What was his 16 year old mother worth when he was born on third base? What was she worth when he entered high school? Give you best estimate.

Hilarious.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Really? His parents investing 250k in 1995...is what you describe as being born on 3rd base?
Only parents who are wealthy can afford to just give that type of money away.

Quote:
Heiress?
Yes.

Her father, LP Gise, was instrumental in the mass production of the US' nuclear arsenal, having been the director of the AEC (certainly not some working class gig). And before that, the King/Gise/Hall family were huge landowners in Texas.

Interestingly enough, LP Gise died in 1995, the same year Bezos asked Jackie and her husband, who was a well-paid engineer at Exxon, for the money.

Reality check for you: Most rich people come from rich or well connected families. Sorry to break the straps on those boots.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:44 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Only parents who are wealthy can afford to just give that type of money away.
Interesting spin you make on the word "give" as if investing in something is a gift. I must be giving to lots of companies in the S&P500. I'm quite sure you know there has been much speculation on how wealthy his parents must be due to their early investment in Amazon, you should contact everyone doing so to let them know it was just given away so they received no benefit from that investment.

Quote:
Her father, LP Gise, was instrumental in the mass production of the US' nuclear arsenal, having been the director of the AEC (certainly not some working class gig).
Everything I've been able to Google up says he was a director "at" the AEC, which could be any number of middle management government drones. It's great you have promoted him to director of the entire outfit.

Not working class, but someone's grandfather being civilian government manager is hardly what I'd consider "heiress" based on that position. Then again you've got a world view and are clearly willing to exaggerate and outright lie to shape reality to fit it. By the way, I never got your answers to:

What was his 16 year old mother worth when he was born on third base? What was she worth when he entered high school? Give you best estimate.

Quote:
Interestingly enough, LP Gise died in 1995, the same year Bezos asked Jackie and her husband, who was a well-paid engineer at Exxon, for the money.
By the time that investment in Amazon was made Bezos was in his 30s and already working on Wall Street. How far are you willing to take "born", what if they invested when he was 55 years old would it still be born into 3rd base?

Quote:
Reality check for you: Most rich people come from rich or well connected families. Sorry to break the straps on those boots.
Prove it. If you draw the line of "rich" at being able to come up with 250k and having a grandfather who worked for the government you might be right, but so far you've produced nothing to show Bezos was born on 3rd base.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Prove it. If you draw the line of "rich" at being able to come up with 250k and having a grandfather who worked for the government you might be right...
Being the daughter and grandson of top level official in a federal government agency who owned and inheritedna lot of land atop oil and uranium, *PLUS* being the son of a senior engineer in the oil industry who can afford to just give $250K away certainly makes one rich compared to 99% of people.

But you keep on licking those boots while defending these privileged individuals.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:35 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,781,311 times
Quote:
Being the daughter and grandson of top level official in a federal government agency who owned and inheritedna lot of land atop oil and uranium, *PLUS* being the son of a senior engineer in the oil industry who can afford to just give $250K away certainly makes one rich compared to 99% of people.

But you keep on licking those boots while defending these privileged individuals.
I guess Bezos is grossly incompetent in your view as well then and the way you're portraying people, everyone who is rich is grossly incompetent.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:40 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
find yourself a good set of used bootstraps. tongue in cheek

A lot of being poor is making poor decisions and not even knowing they're poor decisions or ignoring good advice. I see it all the time. Like - why not keep continuing living at home and using mass transit to save money versus moving out and getting a carloan on a tite whip at 8% for 5 years and living hand to mouth? Nah, gotta impress the girls/guys with my new iphone 11 and $1000 designer purse. Being and staying poor is largely self inflicted, and having a victim mentality is counterproductive. People would rather pay $$$$$ on their smart phone and hypewear clothing than pick up a set of used bootstraps for free and use them. As far as preventing you from getting ahead in life? Victim mentality is probably the worse... but hey, it's a lot easier than sucking it up and working harder and smarter right?

64 pages and 7 years of whining. I'd imagine the "bootstrappers" are a lot further along, and the whiners are exactly where they were 7 years ago. Still sucking on the government teat, whether obama or trump's nipple and complaining how they need more bennies. Pathethic.

Last edited by rya96797; 10-19-2020 at 08:50 AM..

Old 10-19-2020, 05:25 PM

24,626 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
You cannot afford anything you you like, even though you work harder than most and deserve more!

Being poor is like a vicious cycle, it's extremley hard to get out of, despite what people say.
There's billions of people worldwide who would love to be a poor American. iPhones, iPads, section 8 vouchers, internet, used luxury vehicles, welfare, new shoes, 70" flat screen TV, no taxes, Wal-Mart and Starbucks on every block.

The poor have access to a lot modern luxury that the rich do, simply by being born in a 1st world country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics