Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2022, 09:39 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
What you've described is the dumbing down of higher education. We see its negative effects everywhere - even on C-D where supposedly college educated people lack the capacity for rigorous analysis and who lack the capacity for logical thought.

Physics 101 is Physics 101. If you can pass it at, say, Cal State San Bernardino but fail the course at Cal Tech, then there is something wrong with the way it is taught and scored at Cal State San Bernardino.
Or maybe they just don't agree with you.

CSUSB is a good school by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 09:42 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
I'm really not impressed with the UC system so far. I get going there ensures complete hiring fitness in the State as we have an enviable array of companies recruiting from them....but it's long on groupwork and mediocrity in my opinion.

Whatever. I still hope the kid gets in. It's what she wants and saves me money if she does.

Old 07-31-2022, 10:12 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
Not really one is a public school and one is private - each has its own scale what's is a passing grade and each has its own curriculum and most importantly each has its own agenda - like wokeness.
The bold above is the statement of the problem.

Old 08-01-2022, 08:06 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
The bold above is the statement of the problem.
Agreed - close friend who teaches in Austin high school is not allowed to fail a student! The dumbing down starts in elementary through high schools so its natural colleges especially state sponsored dumb down to.
God it must be hell trying to hire qualified workers in alot of fields. So glad i am done with that and retired.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:05 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Agreed - close friend who teaches in Austin high school is not allowed to fail a student! The dumbing down starts in elementary through high schools so its natural colleges especially state sponsored dumb down to.
God it must be hell trying to hire qualified workers in alot of fields. So glad i am done with that and retired.
It's not that they're dumbing down the curricula. If anything the outcomes are more advanced by grade level than in the past. It's accountability that they're divesting in. There's no enforcement of deadlines, etc...

So they teach the students to the appropriate outcomes, but there are only weak enforcement mechanisms to demonstrate the student learned what they were supposed to learn. So if the student did basic work in the class enough to pass, that is; show up for class, they pass. The system just "assumes" they absorbed the information given and passes them along. This is going to get worse now that standardized testing is becoming unfashionable.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:57 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Being poor is like a vicious cycle, it's extremley hard to get out of, despite what people say.
Hard is subjective. America isn't a 3rd world country, and has the richest poor people on earth.

I was a burger flipper, served 10 years in the air force, got my degree, and became a contractor.

I didn't need any education, experience, or credentials to join the military. Any other country would've laughed at offering me any of the benefits the US military provided.

The first step to getting out of poverty, is dong something about it.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:32 AM

984 posts, read 442,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Hard is subjective. America isn't a 3rd world country, and has the richest poor people on earth.

I was a burger flipper, served 10 years in the air force, got my degree, and became a contractor.

I didn't need any education, experience, or credentials to join the military. Any other country would've laughed at offering me any of the benefits the US military provided.

Do you mean free healthcare, free college, stuff like that? Other countries routinely offer that to their civilian citizens every day of the week....

Old 08-16-2022, 08:24 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Congrats - i only had 2 years degree and did all right. If you dont want to be poor then dont! Get off your ass stop crying about poor me, stop with the hand out crap and find a job, kick ass and become a valuable employee. Then take a chance on your skills learned and start your own business. America is the land of opportunity and i hate this dumb talk that you can not be successful.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:41 AM

19,788 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I'm really not impressed with the UC system so far. I get going there ensures complete hiring fitness in the State as we have an enviable array of companies recruiting from them....but it's long on groupwork and mediocrity in my opinion.

Whatever. I still hope the kid gets in. It's what she wants and saves me money if she does.

I'm trying to understand your thinking. By any rational metric The UC system is the best very large state university system in the country and maybe the world per anything similar.

I get that the equity-police are all about dumbing down admissions standards and much of the social nonsense of the day still is in play across The UC System still it's a magnet for research and top end talent.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:37 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,993 times
Quote:
Congrats - i only had 2 years degree and did all right. If you dont want to be poor then dont! Get off your ass stop crying about poor me, stop with the hand out crap and find a job, kick ass and become a valuable employee. Then take a chance on your skills learned and start your own business. America is the land of opportunity and i hate this dumb talk that you can not be successful.
Reminds me of a conversation among a pair of middle eastern migrants, myself (migrant) and a black guy. The migrants were singing the praises of USA and the opportunity it afforded them… I was fairly neutral as I came from a stable country… the black guy didn’t seem to know how to react and was very reserved… simply saying “oh, you really think so?”… he didn’t disagree but at the same time I got a vibe of doubt and disbelief…

Millions come to USA without an education or a penny to their name and find a way through hard work… millions more are born here, grow up with the belief that the system is rigged and rather than get angry about that and fight to prove it wrong, they seem to fight to prove it right.

He was black, but that’s inconsequential to the story. There’s plenty of black, white, and migrant people who believe they simply cannot win… so they dismiss education, hard work and discipline and instead go the path of resentment, laziness and underachieving.

2c and probably not even worth that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics