Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:38 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
And your lofty standards were exemplified by this...

My guess is that he's still living in mommy's basement, tapping away on his keyboard all day, basking in the high self esteem that is a result of a generation of kids raised by helicopter parents. And that board position on the charity? Probably a local animal rescue group with 6 members and a 501(c) status.

I take it you recognize that text? And since you want to drag them through the mud as well, my long deceased parents were born pre-WWI and did the Great Depression and WWII as young adults. What's in your wallet?

Don't make me laugh! You so hate the idea of someone like me having had such success that you are driven to every crude fairy tale and stereotype in tne book in a hopeless attempt to explain me away. It won't work.

God the father, God the son, and God the holy spirit. Bless you, my child, and go in peace.
I don't consider you a success at all. 70 years old, still having to work, pretending to be much more important and successful than you probably are, with a sad and cynical view of this world. You also mock those that make something of themselves, and constantly call them liars.

Nope, I don't hate you, envy you or consider you successful. And what you think of me matters little to me.

Not sure what your last line means, though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 12:59 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,373,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
You do realize that one may have trusts set up without actually being a "trust salesman," right? No pounding of the payment necessary, just a call to your estate/trust attorney. And FTR, I am not a trust/insurance salesman - LOL - I just possess trusts/insurance - Do you see the difference?
Whether or not you possess a license for it, you have been persistently hawking trust and insurance products and services that almost no one will ever have any need of. You are not likely to need them either.

Quote:
You have no need for trusts/insurance because being a restaurant manager does not provide you with enough income to need tax sheltering.
Financial analysis from afar? You fail more dismally even than your doormat namesakes. The partners in an LLC work and invest for themselves. LLC's are one form of small business. Did you not know that? Functionally, we do not receive a wage. We divide up the (rather considerable) profits. The LLC itself has existed since the days of the 1994-95 baseball strike. All of us were working full-time at that point. None of us is today. We don't need to anymore. We are all living on Easy Street.

Quote:
You continue to issue sophmoric advice (e.g. trusts/estate/tax planning is unnecessary, 2% return is best, invest in what you know!)
Each of these is a very sound bit of advice that would be passed on as well by many of the best known, best qualified, and highest paid financial planners in the business. The fact that you are too limited in your understanding to grasp such things does not in any way diminish their value.

Quote:
You work for others in a typically low margin, high risk, poor work condition environment...
No, they all work for me (and my partners), and we do our best to maintain a very positive work environment. We do a lot of up-front training, so we don't profit from frequent turnover at any level. It is also true of course that happy employees make for happy customers. Happy customers as you may not realize are the kind that come back again and spend even more money with you later on. It is very good for me when that happens.

Quote:
I'm afraid you are out of your league with many on this forum - and they've called you out on it. You try to give financial advice, but you can't quite make it happen for yourself...
Oh, I'm out of the league of many C-D posters alright. Sort of like Vermeer having been out of the league of some bunch of kindergarten finger-painters.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I don't consider you a success at all.
No, of course you don't. But if you were to make a list of all the things that you thought defined success and I had them all, then what?

Quote:
70 years old, still having to work....
Not 70 years old yet, let's not rush things, and I do not remotely NEED to work. One of the benefits of doing what you love is that you actually WANT to work. It's an enjoyable and exciting thing to do. I have been involved in restaurants for longer than I have been involved in economics. I continue to be involved in each of those because I love doing them. Too bad for you if you have never known that sort of feeling.

Quote:
...pretending to be much more important and successful than you probably are, with a sad and cynical view of this world. You also mock those that make something of themselves, and constantly call them liars.
There is nothing sad or cynical about fact and reason. Those are my basic buidling blocks. People who make verifiably false claims and statements are meanwhile liars. There are many of those hereabouts. They shoot from the hip and thereby trip themselves up as not actually knowing what they are talking about. I most often call people out for that simply because they have earned it. Many of them then make matters worse for themslves. I can pretty typically put worse on those who choose to line up and ask for it.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:00 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:

Financial analysis from afar? You fail more dismally even than your doormat namesakes. The partners in an LLC work and invest for themselves. LLC's are one form of small business. Did you not know that? Functionally, we do not receive a wage. We divide up the (rather considerable) profits. The LLC itself has existed since the days of the 1994-95 baseball strike. All of us were working full-time at that point. None of us is today. We don't need to anymore. We are all living on Easy Street.
Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true. I am not impressed by LLC's or 501's... They are a dime a dozen in my circles... So are small share restaurant owners. The fact you are bragging about that says a lot. I prefer the advantages of incorporation and high margin sales... Plus - and here's the best part - I don't need to share the profits (or future business sale) with 3 other partners. Always have 100% shares and limited liability. Are you actually proud that you own 1/4 of a likely struggling LLC and do not believe much in insurance, trusts, or tax sheltering your "considerable profits?"

Quote:
It is also true of course that happy employees make for happy customers.
More dime store wisdom... Is that what they pay you the big bucks for?

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 08-13-2013 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM

125 posts, read 167,447 times
Quote:
Your last few posts have convinced me that you're just playing a part. A truly professional, successful business person would a) not spend so much time online, b) resort to such petty name-calling as you do.

I don't envy you at all. I rather like my own self, who truly believes in people, personal responsibility and self-reliance.
Jealousy is a hallmark trait of a petulant middle class pleb. Did it ever occur to you that he pays someone, much as I do, to actually type and post responses on this forum? Why should I or another intellectual be forced to flex our phalanges in discuss with mere middle class heathens? However, even a canine wishes to have its flea-ridden coat tossed a bone with meat on it from time to time.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:04 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
I'm sitting here in my Pittsburgh home reading about how the gov't is trying to block the American/USAirways merger while noting that a taxpayer-funded USAirways training center employing 600 people will close as a result of the merger.

Both companies have been bankrupt. Creditors did not get paid full on the dollar. Deals were cut that many of us paid for, especially in Pittsburgh and Dallas.

I'm not going to say "they didn't built that", but I will say that we enabled them to keep defrauding us for the past 12 years post-9/11. And if we weren't complicit suckers in the arrangement, both companies would be dead without us.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
No, of course you don't. But if you were to make a list of all the things that you thought defined success and I had them all, then what?

Not 70 years old yet, let's not rush things, and I do not remotely NEED to work. One of the benefits of doing what you love is that you actually WANT to work. It's an enjoyable and exciting thing to do. I have been involved in restaurants for longer than I have been involved in economics. I continue to be involved in each of those because I love doing them. Too bad for you if you have never known that sort of feeling.

There is nothing sad or cynical about fact and reason. Those are my basic buidling blocks. People who make verifiably false claims and statements are meanwhile liars. There are many of those hereabouts. They shoot from the hip and thereby trip themselves up as not actually knowing what they are talking about. I most often call people out for that simply because they have earned it. Many of them then make matters worse for themslves. I can pretty typically put worse on those who choose to line up and ask for it.

It took me a long time to get to where you are and stop chasing money for the sake of amassing more wealth than what I could use. And I wouldn't go back to that (although I consider myself fortunate to have the opportunity to make a nice income in my career).

I'm still a few years from retirement age, but I now do something food-related that's very distinct and which customers enjoy a great deal. I get to work with some top culinary professionals and others very knowledgeable in food science. I no longer have to spend time with people who bore me to death with their self-centered focus on possessions and one-upsmanship.

I will likely do what I'm doing now until I physically can't anymore. And then die happy.

So good for you.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
I am told the wealthy taste better.
Eat The Rich.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true.
But true nonetheless, the fact that you can't handle it notwithstanding. Just as true as that the Cubs were blanked 2-0 yesterday and are down by the same score tonight.

Quote:
I am not impressed by LLC's or 501's...
They nevertheless exist and function as intended as well.

Quote:
Are you actually proud that you own 1/4 of a likely struggling LLC...
More happy than proud, I would say. It's been a good time and has consistently made good money over the years. If you can't be satisfied with that sort of result, you can't be satisfied.

Quote:
...and do not believe much in insurance, trusts, or tax sheltering your "considerable profits?"
It is most people who will not have any need of the products and services shamelessly marketed in your C-D infomercials. As you should have clearly understood by now, I am not necessarily most people.

Quote:
More dime store wisdom... Is that what they pay you the big bucks for?
Just another free tip to those who need it, of which you certainly seem to be one. When you are serving the public, your wait-staff is YOU. When they are unhappy, YOU are the loser as the result. When they feel respected and appreciated, those positives become a significant part of what the customer perceives. A bad vibe can ruin a good steak. If you don't realize that, I would doubt that you've ever so much as eaten in a decent restaurant.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Default It Can Also Be Called Stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
=Yes it sucks to be rich.
Then can I have your tens and twenties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics