Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
Not much as an ornithologist either, I see...
Maybe birds isn't the right analogy.

It's probably more like feeding the bears at Yellowstone. They get used to getting food handed to them and actually become quite dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
I read, listen, and talk to a lot of people.

It seams that hardly anyone is satisfied with their wages and lifestyle.

The 1% and large corparations always want more and never satisfied.

People with collage degrees always say they are worth more than anyone else.

Middle class want more things, bigger house, boat,
3 cars, campers, 4 week vacations etc.

Unions act like they want to strike all of the time for higher pay and work less.

Low wage people can't live on what they make but they
are the largest work force and seam to make a living and feed themselves.

People who don't work and live on the streets have less to worry about,
and pay little to no taxes, and relax more on full time vacations, than all of the rest.
The country is out of kilter. Throughout the history of the US, there always used to be a balance in this country in the most important aspects. Puritans fled from state controlled religion in Englan; in the U.S>, we had freedom of religion practice what you want. When commerce become more interstate than intrastate institutiion where set up to provide minimum guaranties for health and safety, same, in baking, and investing

These agencies have now beenmorphed into nmissions that have minimal relationship with theri reasons of creation.l

Old 08-11-2013, 09:03 PM

125 posts, read 167,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe birds isn't the right analogy.

It's probably more like feeding the bears at Yellowstone. They get used to getting food handed to them and actually become quite dangerous.
That is why if you are intelligent you won't do the actual feeding. That's a job for a personal assistant to attend to.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:04 PM

21 posts, read 38,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartoday View Post
That is why if you are intelligent you won't do the actual feeding. That's a job for a personal assistant to attend to.
... No, silly, that's why you don't feed them at all.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:22 PM

367 posts, read 959,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
No, it is human nature to want more. Dissatisfaction leads to innovation and social improvements. It puts the fire in your belly to improve your situation. Dissatisfaction can be very good. Complacency can be bad.
This^ It's how society advances. A rising tide lifts all boats, except those who are too lazy or stupid to be lifted and they sink. Darwin.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,373,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe birds isn't the right analogy. It's probably more like feeding the bears at Yellowstone. They get used to getting food handed to them and actually become quite dangerous.
Bears are quite dangerous whether you feed them or not. This is one of many things that distinguish them from low-income people.

Like low-income people however, neither birds nor bears lose the abiltiy to forage and find food for themslves simply because of the good fortune of happening upon a helpful human. To put things briefly, none of your analogies is going to be apt because the underlying premise isn't.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Puritans fled from state controlled religion in Englan; in the U.S>, we had freedom of religion practice what you want.
The freedom that the Puritans sought was the freedom to be the instigators of religious persecution rather than the victims of it.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartoday View Post
The bounds of childishness extended. By the way, Hamish, you have entirely misconstrued the term "Oaktonite". It refers to a person of the pleasant little burb of Oakton. But you flubbed that, didn't you. It's hard to find much of anything that you are actually good at.

Last edited by oaktonite; 08-13-2013 at 08:04 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
This^ It's how society advances. A rising tide lifts all boats, except those who are too lazy or stupid to be lifted and they sink. Darwin.
Darwin was a naturalist, not a social philosopher. Meanwhile, many if not most societies in human history have been subsistence level societies that found and then simply repeated something that worked through generation after generation.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 AM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I do not live beyond my means. My parents did not do so, either. One of my women friends has a good job and keeps her credit card maxed out. I can't comprehend living like that. My brother and his wife live like very rich people live, due to the largesse of his wife's family, but, many necessary expenses are not so subsidized and they are usually strapped for money. I will not loan to them because neither would have a memory of borrowing. I learned this from our parents.

I would like to have an Ipod and an Iphone. I have the money to buy them, but, I have no need whatsoever for either.
I know someone like this and I don't get it. And if you get an iphone you won't need an ipod. You can listen to music on your phone or You could probably get an old generation ipod for cheap on ebay or something.

I also know someone who makes good money but it's not enough for them. I don't understand it.

I was watching an american greed episode about these 2 guys who were earning 6 figure salaries from their day jobs but they still had to come up with credit card schemes to earn more cash. Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics