U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2013, 08:42 PM
 
67 posts, read 153,299 times
Reputation: 39

Advertisements

1. Self worth is better than Net worth.


Saw this on a billboard and thought it was a nice gesture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 PM
 
125 posts, read 151,579 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by evel_kneivel View Post
1. Self worth is better than Net worth.


Saw this on a billboard and thought it was a nice gesture.
It makes for a nice postcard, but it isn't going to be pouring Domaine del la Romanee in your glass at the end of the day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2013, 09:38 PM
 
4,130 posts, read 4,097,466 times
Reputation: 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by evel_kneivel View Post
1. Self worth is better than Net worth.


Saw this on a billboard and thought it was a nice gesture.
I think I'll take net worth lessons from people who are not doing manual labor for minimum wage at 46 that could only afford a house after it was hit by a tornado where the damge has not been fixed in 15 years.

So I guess the business/economics experience comes from bovine university with Ralph Wiggum?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 08:16 AM
 
67 posts, read 153,299 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I think I'll take net worth lessons from people who are not doing manual labor for minimum wage at 46 that could only afford a house after it was hit by a tornado where the damge has not been fixed in 15 years.

So I guess the business/economics experience comes from bovine university with Ralph Wiggum?
Correct: There are many of us who don't get to live in the perfect world.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 08:49 AM
 
4,130 posts, read 4,097,466 times
Reputation: 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by evel_kneivel View Post
Correct: There are many of us who don't get to live in the perfect world.
It has nothing to do with a perfect world.

You stated an opinion...no evidence, facts, or anything else material. Just like a doctors opinion is judged on their experiance a disease/procedure, or a gardeners opinion is based on their ability to grow things, I am judging your opinion on business and economics by how well you used it in your life.

I believe people generally do what they think is the right thing to do in order to get the expected result, and the actual results show if it was. Continuing to make the wrong decision over and over shows a persons opinion is not right. Why should I take an opinion with a proven track record of not being correct?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Here.
15,452 posts, read 14,149,535 times
Reputation: 18091
I agree that self-worth is better than net worth, but why would someone waste money on a billboard like that? Too much net worth to spare? Local charities turning down donations?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 02:27 PM
 
67 posts, read 153,299 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I agree that self-worth is better than net worth, but why would someone waste money on a billboard like that? Too much net worth to spare? Local charities turning down donations?
It was funded by a Christian organization. Possibly to cheer up people who have fell on hard times in this area. I didn't post it as any form of disregard to anyone and actually hoped it helped someone who is down by the recession feel better about themselves.
Instead I got trolled on for my life's events. Which I have no regrets. I'm fine where I'm at in life and I'll continue to make improvements. There are a lot of people far worse off.



And the world keeps spinning.


Before anyone trolls on the Christians, there was nothing else on the billboard to indicate who it was sponsored by or any suggestions to repent. Just some very fine print in the very bottom corner.

And lastly, I have no idea where ECW thought this was some highly regarded opinion when I clearly stated that it was on a billboard. Lighten up! Relax a little!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2013, 12:16 AM
 
5,423 posts, read 10,386,658 times
Reputation: 4508
Attacking you was likely driven by some low self-esteem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2013, 12:22 AM
 
47,531 posts, read 63,929,986 times
Reputation: 22346
It's true that money doesn't buy happiness.

And --- if you have the choice between excellent health + no money versus poor health + lots of money, which would you choose?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 AM
 
4,130 posts, read 4,097,466 times
Reputation: 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by evel_kneivel View Post
It was funded by a Christian organization. Possibly to cheer up people who have fell on hard times in this area. I didn't post it as any form of disregard to anyone and actually hoped it helped someone who is down by the recession feel better about themselves.
Instead I got trolled on for my life's events. Which I have no regrets. I'm fine where I'm at in life and I'll continue to make improvements. There are a lot of people far worse off.



And the world keeps spinning.


Before anyone trolls on the Christians, there was nothing else on the billboard to indicate who it was sponsored by or any suggestions to repent. Just some very fine print in the very bottom corner.

And lastly, I have no idea where ECW thought this was some highly regarded opinion when I clearly stated that it was on a billboard. Lighten up! Relax a little!
I have no problem with the message, and as a Christian I don't have problems with the religion. I do think that religion is not a shield from disagreement...but that's another discussion.

I just think it is intensely prideful and childish for some one to champion life values that has no experience in it. That self worth is more important than having the net worth to weather financial storms and provide for ones family in the best possible way. That it is prideful to slap oneself on the back for doing nothing, instead taking the time and effort of raising oneself from ground zero. Pride and sloth are just as much sins as greedily loving money.

I don't think it is trolling to point out a sore spot. A blunt statement does more then months (or years) of gentle prodding. If you don't like it, grow up and quit crying when some one hurts your feelings. Life should be a fun experience, but providing for the people that you care about isn't a joke.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top