Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:55 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,048 times

Advertisements

Because of the euro. Better question: Why are all the countries of the EU listed separately as well? Shoudn't that have been superfluous under your odd set of assumptions? I don't see a number for Mississippi...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 10:29 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
I wonder how many people will be disappointed if America is still in the same position it is in now 20-50 years from now?

Sent from watch

Old 08-19-2013, 11:21 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
Because of the euro.
Then it would have listed the eurozone, not the European Union.

Quote:
Better question: Why are all the countries of the EU listed separately as well? Shoudn't that have been superfluous under your odd set of assumptions? I don't see a number for Mississippi...
I already answered this question. The list is of countries by GDP (nominal). The EU is not a country (and I never said it was) but its Member States are, that is why they are listed separately. However, the EU is so integrated that it functions pretty much like a national economy, which is why the IMF, World Bank and CIA include it in their country rankings. Again, notice that they don't do the same for NAFTA or ASEAN.

Anyone who thinks the EU is "just a bunch of countries lumped together" or "just like NAFTA" is seriously misinformed.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:24 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
I don't think you really understand the EU.

If they were so "integrated" they wouldn't be having the problems they are.

The EU either has to go through serious changes or it will eventually fall apart.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Then it would have listed the eurozone, not the European Union.
Arguing an awful lot for someone who claimed not to see a point in arguing about this.

Quote:
...which is why the IMF, World Bank and CIA include it in their country rankings.
Why do you suppose they included a line for "World". Wouldn't be because they thought it proper to include relevant non-country total and sub-total data, would it?

Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
The EU either has to go through serious changes or it will eventually fall apart.
The first serious change -- presently but sluggishly underway -- is to realize that it was a huge oversight to fail to build out adequate financial safety net institutions for Euro-users encountering fiscal imbalances. They were advised to do so, but were focused instead on rushing into eastern European expansion. A second serious change would be to somehow get rid of Angela Merkel and the horse she rode in on. She wants to dance the jïg but not pay the piper, an attitude that is counter-productive in addition to being just plain disgusting.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I don't think you really understand the EU.
I have a Bachelor's degree in European Studies, lol.

Quote:
If they were so "integrated" they wouldn't be having the problems they are.
No, the EU is having the problems it is exactly because it is so integrated. Countries with very diverging economies are constrained in their monetary policy (ECB) and fiscal policy (Stability and Growth Pact), which makes it hard for the peripheral countries to remain competitive compared to countries like Germany. The root cause of the eurozone crisis is a structural trade imbalance.

Quote:
If the EU ever falls apart, it will be rebuilt the next day.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Arguing an awful lot for someone who claimed not to see a point in arguing about this.
You're right, I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time with this either. It's clear that this is more of an ideological thing for some people.

Quote:
Why do you suppose they included a line for "World". Wouldn't be because they thought it proper to include relevant non-country total and sub-total data, would it?
"World" is mentioned in a separate category, it's not part of the actual ranking like the EU is. You haven't answered my question, though. Why aren't NAFTA, ASEAN or MERCOSUR mentioned anywhere?

Old 08-19-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
If the EU ever falls apart, it will be rebuilt the next day.
I'd certainly agree with that.

Quote:
You're right, I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time with this either. It's clear that this is more of an ideological thing for some people.
It's a matter of what words like "country" and "national" mean. You have been trying to distort them. Others have insisted that they not be.

Quote:
"World" is mentioned in a separate category, it's not part of the actual ranking like the EU is. You haven't answered my question, though. Why aren't NAFTA, ASEAN or MERCOSUR mentioned anywhere?
You haven't explained WHY the "World" data were included. The mattrer of WHERE doesn't serve to cover the WHY. In this case, the WHY for "World" is the same as the WHY for "EU".

Quote:
You haven't answered my question, though. Why aren't NAFTA, ASEAN or MERCOSUR mentioned anywhere?
I have, and it's still because of the Euro. All currencies are backed by the real goods and services output by the economies that issue them. If NAFTA starts issuing Ameros as has been so feared for so long by so many whackjobs in this country, you can rest assured that NAFTA will start showing up in the statistics, even as the US, Canada, and Mexico remained separate, sovereign, independent, and also still listed countries.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
It's a matter of what words like "country" and "national" mean. You have been trying to distort them. Others have insisted that they not be.
No, I have said from the very start that I'm not talking about countries, I'm strictly talking economies. The EU may not be a country in a political sense but its economy functions as such.

Quote:
You haven't explained WHY the "World" data were included. The mattrer of WHERE doesn't serve to cover the WHY. In this case, the WHY for "World" is the same as the WHY for "EU".
The world data is not included in the ranking. It is a separate category, in a separate box, unlike the data for the EU. Most country rankings, for whatever topic, have a box that adds up all the data for the world.

Quote:
I have, and it's still because of the Euro. All currencies are backed by the real goods and services output by the economies that issue them. If NAFTA starts issuing Ameros as has been so feared for so long by so many whackjobs in this country, you can rest assured that NAFTA will start showing up in the statistics, even as the US, Canada, and Mexico remained separate, sovereign, independent, and also still listed countries.
Again, if it was just because of the euro, it would have mentioned the eurozone and not the European Union. Do you know the difference?

EU Member States are FAR from separate, sovereign and independent when it comes to the economy. For example, under the new fiscal compact (which is signed by all Member States except for Denmark and the UK), countries cannot have a structural budget deficit that exceeds 0.5% of nominal GDP and their budget debt cannot exceed 60% of GDP. Eurozone members have no control over their monetary policy, which is managed by the independent European Central Bank. There is a single market which guarantees the free movement of people, capital, services and goods within EU borders. To compare this kind of Union to NAFTA is laughable.

Last edited by LindavG; 08-19-2013 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics