Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:11 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,637,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Where do you think funds for research and growth initiatives comes from?
Corporate earnings; firms also take on debt for R&D.

Are you suggesting that privately-held, non-traded firms are less likely to have research and growth initiatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,170,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Corporate earnings; firms also take on debt for R&D.

Are you suggesting that privately-held, non-traded firms are less likely to have research and growth initiatives?
Obviously they still have ways of generating growth initiatives, but obviously as well they have one less channel for growth.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 AM

20,591 posts, read 19,254,430 times
I thinks its about time that the we split the identities of capitalists and industrials utilizing their wealth from the leisure class. Its no different than separating the truly needy in welfare from the poor leaches. Why are there two classes of poor people? Even the hard right typically mentions truly helpless people do exist, even when they do note welfare queens. Why is this phenomenon absent with the rich? This goes for both the right and left.

Henry James and William James were two people born in a wealthy family. These became ambitious, but the rest of the family were nothing but worthless slugs and no engine of wealth. The rich, since they have the larger share of money per individual, will inevitably be taxed. So why tax their luxury and productivity at the same rate? Why tax productivity at all? Taxing productivity is punishment. Taxing luxury is a user fee, when that is it has a real public cost, ya know like a water park that uses 50% of the water in a desert town..

Last edited by gwynedd1; 08-23-2013 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 03:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,337,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
It's a great idea if it works. Most small businesses fail. I'm thinking about branching off into vacation beach front condos. I don't want to be a landlord again and the stock market is way to volatile at this late stage in the game. Money takes on a life of it's own at a certain point and it can become a job trying to manage it. I would love to take an actual fun trip without it being about looking for an investment. I haven't done that in years. Workaholic until the day I die, I'm sure.
If you have a lot of money , have you thought about becoming a hard money lender? People are getting better returns than being a landlord in a lot of situations and no dealing with tenants.

Regarding the idea that most small businesses fail.
This is an interesting read, as is the E-MYTH book.
Why Most Small Businesses Fail <br>(Hint

The E-Myth, according to Michael Gerber, is a very common misunderstanding. The misunderstanding goes something like this:
Myth: Small Business Owner = Entrepreneur
Reality: Most Small Business Owners = Technicians Who Think They’re Entrepreneurs
The small business owner has basically traded a job and a boss they don’t like for a new independent job (not a business) with a boss who is even worse (him or herself!).

I have seen this so many times and it's so common in our culture. I LOVE XYZ , so I am going to open a business selling XYZ because it's my PASSION. Those types of businesses typically don't last long because the owner is simply an employee and not focusing their time where they should be , running the business ,marketing ,etc.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:02 PM

20,591 posts, read 19,254,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If you have a lot of money , have you thought about becoming a hard money lender? People are getting better returns than being a landlord in a lot of situations and no dealing with tenants.

Regarding the idea that most small businesses fail.
This is an interesting read, as is the E-MYTH book.
Why Most Small Businesses Fail <br>(Hint

The E-Myth, according to Michael Gerber, is a very common misunderstanding. The misunderstanding goes something like this:
Myth: Small Business Owner = Entrepreneur
Reality: Most Small Business Owners = Technicians Who Think They’re Entrepreneurs
The small business owner has basically traded a job and a boss they don’t like for a new independent job (not a business) with a boss who is even worse (him or herself!).

I have seen this so many times and it's so common in our culture. I LOVE XYZ , so I am going to open a business selling XYZ because it's my PASSION. Those types of businesses typically don't last long because the owner is simply an employee and not focusing their time where they should be , running the business ,marketing ,etc.

I have seen just as many businesses destroy themselves with the MBA mythology that every sort of product or service can fit into their business model. Pig grease seemed like a good idea to the British Empire in regions that had a thing about pork. The cost saving would be MBA approved. Didn't go over well.

the ones that thrive are those that know the business while applying the correct business principles. The MBA knows that efficiency matter where those that know the business know where you dare not look for cost cutting. But solo businesses are tough because you have to do all things well and I just hated doing tedious paperwork. I was great at buying selling and logistics but keeping track of who owed me what, tax forms, accounting .....just hated it.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:22 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
But that isn't true. Growth would be much slower in the private sector without the stock market. Where do you think funds for research and growth initiatives comes from?
Not from trading stocks...

Old 08-23-2013, 10:53 PM

125 posts, read 166,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
Just wondering if the one per-centers have anyway to make money other than from the labor of the working class?
Not familiar with the 1%, but I am very familiar with the 1% of the 1% and how we make our money. While my favorite means to generate money is through the exploitation of the middle class, I also enjoy speaking with politicians and the Federal Reserve about the next big upcoming fiscal moves before they are actually available for public consumption. Enables us to position ourselves accordingly to further exploit the working classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics