U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 PM

251 posts, read 495,761 times

Advertisements

Looking at Mr. Insane Traveler's defensive responses, I doubt that he'll have much success by moving to a different state.

Great careers are typically not found by shotgunning resumes out there. If he decides to dig in and establish a network of professionals who are in the field he wants to be in, that would be a very good start. Alumni clubs, etc... Getting an advocate is also a good idea. Someone who is respected & highly experienced in the field. (Hint: an old guy interested in paying it forward to help a young guy...)

In my opinion, with the exception of "obamacare" and a few other moronic things like that, the "economy" is in pretty good shape. Luck, or good fortune is a result of hard & smart work. It's doing things that others don't want to do. Seeing opportunities that others don't see & pass over.

I see no reason that an educated, hard working, innovative & creative person can't be successful in today's world.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 03:35 PM

5,744 posts, read 9,926,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
That piece isn't accurate, though I do see now that I put it in my original post. I had send out hundreds upon hundreds of resumes after graduating back in 2011. Finally I got a bite and I held that job for a whole year. I just left two weeks ago because I am in desperate need of personal changes. I really liked the job though.

With my credentials and extroverted personality I think I am more than equipped to find full time employment. You think that people with degrees and certifications shouldn't feel entitled to full time work?

And this is isn't a woe-is-me thread. This is a woe-is-the-economy thread. Millions are suffering and have been for over six years.
So you have made a choice to leave a job you like for a personal change? You can not blame the economy for that. This would also not put you in the category of "the millions who are suffering" across the world. Do you truly know what "suffering" is?

Also, a business mgmt. bachelors degree and extroversion are a dime a dozen. The CPC specialization could be a good plan (though I know nothing about it).

And no, I don't feel people with degrees/cert. are all entitled to full-time work. Actually, I have a hard time accepting entitlement mentality coming from able-bodied adults.

Sorry to be harsh, but you sound like you need a reality check. How were you raised? Just curious.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 PM

20,376 posts, read 18,415,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
So you have made a choice to leave a job you like for a personal change? You can not blame the economy for that. This would also not put you in the category of "the millions who are suffering" across the world. Do you truly know what "suffering" is?

Also, a business mgmt. bachelors degree and extroversion are a dime a dozen. The CPC specialization could be a good plan (though I know nothing about it).

And no, I don't feel people with degrees/cert. are entitled to full-time work. Actually, I have a hard time accepting entitlement mentality coming from able-bodied adults.

Sorry to be harsh, but you sound like you need a reality check. How were you raised? Just curious.
Hello GoCUBS1,

Don't be so harsh considering how you were less than willing to take up my reality check on the glowing embers of feudalism that lit a fire under you. Your debt leveraging helped bring this little economy about. We have done quite a number on gen-Y , though not nearly so much as the boomers who turned them into paste.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,311,050 times
Quote:
Unfocused and lazy my ASS! How much a jerk can you be? I graduated college, have five years of work experience and continued my education to become a CPC while working full time for the past year and you call me lazy? Go to HELL JACKASS!
No, just providing you a dose of reality...which you seem to sorely need.

You are lying by saying you have 5 years of experience, at least in your given field. As in 2009 you stated you were entering senior year, and a bartender. You already posted a thread on this so it's not like it's hard to disprove. You stated you had a year of work after being unemployed after graduation (assuming 2010 graduation to 2012 unemployed, 2012 to 2013 employed) in this thread...so you actually have 1 year of experience outside of slinging drinks.

Working a job and getting a certification is not going to wow me like you think. I spent a number of years working and getting a double masters. If you want to spend a few years working from 7:30 in the morning till class ends at 9:30 at night a number of days a week, then time for studying, projects, and such...I would be impressed.

I worked in coding offices, and quite honestly even starting out after a BA in business I earned more than most of the CPC's in our office. I will even include the survey results from the AAPC of the salary ranges. It's certainly meticulous work, but it's not rocket science...or even to the difficulty of doing well in finance classes.

Frankly if you are going to sit around drinking and feeling sorry for yourself, lying to yourself, and becoming enraged when people point out very obvious issues (even across the internet) that are harming how you are perceived....there is no wonder why you were unemployed for 2 years. These are major red flags to employers, and the people around you.

These issues, more than the economy, are likely going to affect how quickly you find a job in your new location.

The truth isn't always nice, but people come out better dealing with it then they would be ignoring it.

Quote:
And the U6 is a much better measure of unemployment than U3. U3 doesn't take into account the people who have given up looking for work or those who can only find part time work but want to work full time.
I provided a link to where it was described to you why U-6 was not a great measure, and argued at length. Frankly if you don't care, or simply won't listen, I don't see why we need to rehash your willful ignorance again here. You can certainly restart that thread and hash it with other people if anyone will continue it in PT&OC.

Last edited by EmeraldCityWanderer; 08-21-2013 at 04:43 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 03:55 PM

5,744 posts, read 9,926,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hello GoCUBS1,

Don't be so harsh considering how you were less than willing to take up my reality check on the glowing embers of feudalism that lit a fire under you. Your debt leveraging helped bring this little economy about. We have done quite a number on gen-Y , though not nearly so much as the boomers who turned them into paste.
Hello Gwyn (may I address you this way?),

In order to make money and provide jobs/benefits to people like InsaneTraveler, I work the most cost-effectively within the system I am given to the benefit of my local employees, local vendors, local economy... I will not stop debt leveraging in order to prove a point. If financing rules change from the top, I will adapt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Learn to brew your own, just make sure your feed stock is free.
Question Gwyn:

Did you by chance steal the fruit stock of another man's land labor in order to brew?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:41 PM

20,376 posts, read 18,415,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Hello Gwyn (may I address you this way?),

In order to make money and provide jobs/benefits to people like InsaneTraveler, I work the most cost-effectively within the system I am given to the benefit of my local employees, local vendors, local economy... I will not stop debt leveraging in order to prove a point. If financing rules change from the top, I will adapt.
You are the one making the moral argument. I have refuted some of its validity due to gentrification slanting it in your favor. I would say the same about Robinson Caruso who would charge me rent by reminding him he swam to a free island.

Quote:
Question Gwyn:

Did you by chance steal the fruit stock of another man's land labor in order to brew?
Nope. Typically weeds like wild grape, elderberry, dandelion , mulberries or landscaping "ornamentals" where I at times do a public service by removing a rotting nuisance. I am too well off for food stamps you know...

Old 08-21-2013, 04:45 PM

17,500 posts, read 24,321,684 times
Will economy get better?
OP, I have bullet proof prediction for you.

When they asked a wise man, how is he doing, he said: Oy vey, worse than yesterday but better than tomorrow.

THAT is guaranteed.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:45 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,131,881 times
Given what I have seen in this thread, I think attitude might be the problem.

Wow...OP worked "for a whole year" lol. Your young and have a lot to learn about work, society, attitude, politics and communication

Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 PM

10 posts, read 17,332 times
No. It's going to get worse before it gets better. And this has nothing to do with politics.

When I moved to Columbus, Ohio in 1990 there wasn't a single Wal-Mart, Staples, Home Depot, Dick's Sporting Goods, Best Buy, Target, Lowes, Office Max, etc, etc etc.

When I left in 2010 there was one of each at every exit around the beltway and a few places in between.

How does the economy support that when the population has only grown 30-40%

When I moved to Columbus there were a few 4 screen cinaplex's and a few 8 screen cineplex's. There was maybe 40 screens to see a movie on in the county. Today there's a 30 screen megaplex every few miles down the street. There are at least 400 screens in this city to see a movie. At a time when people are installing extravagant home theater systems it doesn't make sense.

Nordstrom and Saks which they didn't have 20 years ago. In an overgrown college town. Luxury shopping everywhere.

They're building CVS and Walgreen's on every street corner. I've never walked into one. There's a pharmacy in every grocery store in town.

The bubble hasn't burst yet. Keep your head down when it does.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:06 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,814,766 times
Quote:
After my bottle of wine this evening, I began to have a heavy heart about our economy. Everyone, we have been in a rut for at least the past six years. Do you all really think things will ever get good again? I am so sad because I feel like so much of my life has been absorbed by this ruthless recession and economy. I am 25 years old. As an adult, I have truly never seen good economic times. I have a bachelors degree in Business Management and all I did after graduation was sit idol in unemployment. I threw my applications into a black hole it seemed. I finally found a job and have been there for the past year but I just left two Friday's ago because I need to move to a new state. Will I be chronically unemployed again? Next week, I take my CPC certification exam but what is the point? Will it really make my life better? Lets be honest, it won't. Why try to improve yourself in a world that is so broken?

Portal Seven | U6 Unemployment Rate
Wait, you quit a job and are moving to another state WITH NO OTHER job lined up? Oh, to be young again!

Listen, most of your problems stem from your age. You couldn't pay me to be in my 20's again! It's probably one of the most difficult times of your life, with the exception of aging and needing a caregiver.

To make matters even more difficult, you quit two weeks ago and are still living in the same city? No words for that decision.

Well, it probably will all turn out for the best....don't worry. It's in your 20's that you can make mistakes, learn from them and grow. Good luck on that exam! It should help you hopeful score another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics