U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 AM
 
4,764 posts, read 3,542,640 times
Reputation: 3038

Advertisements

Is the glass half full or half empty? Your attitude is what determines your perspective.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2013, 04:13 AM
 
621 posts, read 629,188 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Yeah. Poor Japan has been in a long time rut. Is delation really a bad thing though? Cost of living going Dow doesnt seem all that bad.
If only there were jobs to go with the lower prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Sure hope so. I figure the Great Depression was bad for a decade,l and we are five years into this mess. It can't last much longer right?
https://lh3.ggpht.com/_nSTO-vZpSgc/S...bt+vs.+GDP.png We have a debt bubble to deal with before we can have sustained long term growth again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Perhaps you are right. Optimism always puts a better outlook on things. . It is just hard to do so with all the bad economic news over the past several years. What you say though mimics what a lot of my friends say. Optimism is key.
If ½ are out of work then be in the ½ that are employed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 AM
 
Location: plano
7,880 posts, read 10,575,872 times
Reputation: 7733
The US economy varies by state to some degree. Perhaps a state and its workers attitude toward successful businesses maatter. Like it or not we are in the boat with business and those who risk to start them. Find a state where the people and the gov do not detest business and you will find jobs available. Most of the places like this have economies not based on tourism but they have jobs. Many have lower cost of living too as lower cost help a business make it in todays tough economy too. Some of those places with jobs make things, making things can benefit an economy greatly if the things made are basic and needed and can be made cost effectively to compete in the global economy.

OP look at alternative locations where the economy has come back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 12:14 PM
 
Location: The hills of western Washington
251 posts, read 495,761 times
Reputation: 479
The insane traveler needs to quit blaming "the economy" for his problems. He should focus on ONE job, not the whole enchilada.

Who cares what "the economy" is doing, you still need a job. Cut all this self-centered baloney and do what everyone else does: get a job, work hard and don't quit because of lame "personal reasons".

It's called growing up...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 12:38 PM
 
4,130 posts, read 4,311,050 times
Reputation: 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
The insane traveler needs to quit blaming "the economy" for his problems. He should focus on ONE job, not the whole enchilada.

Who cares what "the economy" is doing, you still need a job. Cut all this self-centered baloney and do what everyone else does: get a job, work hard and don't quit because of lame "personal reasons".

It's called growing up...
To be honest, it's not really fun to grow up and be responsible. Many kids resist it as long as possible.

It's certainly easy to blame the nebulous economy for personal failings.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 PM
 
20,376 posts, read 18,415,999 times
Reputation: 8024
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Do you think that is what will happen to Japan? That the whole country will go down Detroit style?
It already happened in Japan, but with less severity since land is rather more scarce in Japan. Its difficult for land to become worthless and fall into deep negative equity. But the principle is simple. If you have an apple tree that produces 100 apples, and the land owner demands 80 apples because his mortgage demands 75 apples and the state wants 10 apples then an apple tree can support the rentier and financier and property tax. Thats 20 apples for the grower. However if it can only produce 50 apples then it will sit idle until the rentier, financier and state take less than 50. Its worth less than worthless land for industry. That is why Germany is Europe's work shop. They have the least amount of financial wealth that drives up the costs of industry.

On the positive side Japanese are smart enough not to go into private debt which is why the public debt to GDP ratio is so high. There is little bank credit driving down the ratio. Most people have that metric backwards.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
19,633 posts, read 21,851,194 times
Reputation: 17002
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Why many stay in the same job for as long as possible, even if they are miserable. Who wants a poor decision to be their own undoing?
Because for some the prospect of no job is even worse. It just depends. I've never been miserable in any of my jobs. I sure as heck would not want to go back to being a pharmacy tech as it's all kinds of boring and the pay isn't good. If that was my only option, however, I'd rather go back to that than be unemployed. Being unemployed is by far the crappiest job situation I've ever been in, and from what it sounds like from this thread, I took being unemployed much better than the OP did. It still seems odd given the degree of emotional distress it seems to be causing to voluntarily go back to being unemployed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 PM
 
2,305 posts, read 2,241,845 times
Reputation: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Yeah. Poor Japan has been in a long time rut. Is delation really a bad thing though? Cost of living going Dow doesnt seem all that bad.

Deflation seems to be really toxic. If you buy a product (real estate, car) at 100 and deflation is 5% per year. Next year, in theory you could only re-sell at 95. So, why buy now? Why not wait until it hits rock bottom?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 PM
 
4,764 posts, read 3,542,640 times
Reputation: 3038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Because for some the prospect of no job is even worse. It just depends. I've never been miserable in any of my jobs. I sure as heck would not want to go back to being a pharmacy tech as it's all kinds of boring and the pay isn't good. If that was my only option, however, I'd rather go back to that than be unemployed. Being unemployed is by far the crappiest job situation I've ever been in, and from what it sounds like from this thread, I took being unemployed much better than the OP did. It still seems odd given the degree of emotional distress it seems to be causing to voluntarily go back to being unemployed.
I think one of us misunderstood the other. Perhaps it was the way I phrased my statement, which made you think it was a question?

I am agreeing that leaving a job voluntarily, and having it not work out, probably causes many people to remain frozen in place.

I know several people who gave up good jobs for a grab at the brass ring and were left worse off. Very scary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2013, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,016 posts, read 20,097,082 times
Reputation: 32518
What is this thread really about, when we get to the bottom of it? Not the economy, I submit. The OP is depressed, and "needs" to move to a different city based on the hope that the change of location will help with the depression. Therefore, the present job is abandoned before a new job is found.

While I certainly hope for the OP's sake that the strategy works, color me skeptical. We can run away from a location, but what are we faced with once we arrive at the new place? Ourselves! We cannot run away from ourselves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:57 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top