Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,253 times

Advertisements

After my bottle of wine this evening, I began to have a heavy heart about our economy. Everyone, we have been in a rut for at least the past six years. Do you all really think things will ever get good again? I am so sad because I feel like so much of my life has been absorbed by this ruthless recession and economy. I am 25 years old. As an adult, I have truly never seen good economic times. I have a bachelors degree in Business Management and all I did after graduation was sit idol in unemployment. I threw my applications into a black hole it seemed. I finally found a job and have been there for the past year but I just left two Friday's ago because I need to move to a new state. Will I be chronically unemployed again? Next week, I take my CPC certification exam but what is the point? Will it really make my life better? Lets be honest, it won't. Why try to improve yourself in a world that is so broken?

Portal Seven | U6 Unemployment Rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,985 times
No one knows if employment will ever return to previous levels. The only thing you need to be concerned about is how to leverage your skills and education to your best advantage. This might mean moving where employment prospects are better or starting at the bottom and working your way up into a more suitable position or getting additional training/education. If drinking alcohol makes you depressed, you need to think about that too.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,008 times
Things will go up and things will go down. People have been using U-6 over and over as a last ditch attempt to say the economy is not improving after every other measure is showing that it is. Frankly a conclusion is something that should come from evidence, not something that stays static while people scrabble constantly for evidence to support it. I know this banging on U-6 has been pointed out to you before, and you seem to have not listened. Doom and gloomers have been looking for evidence of total economic collapse, or a never improving economy, since the 1960's...while the economy did its thing.

It declines in tandem with U-3, and while no measure is perfect it just displays a different picture.

Quite frankly if you are worried about being chronically unemployed you should put more effort into things. You seem to bounce around from bar tending, to finance, to whatever is the easiest degree to get in business school, and now a professional coder that doesn't require a degree at all. No one knows what you want to do any more than you, and most employers aren't interested in some one that's going to jet for the horizon every year or if things get tough. The economy is tough for those who are just starting out, and remaining unfocused and lazy isn't helping you.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Must be a personal problem because we have seen Mich worse and today we are far veered off than most countries in the world.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,351,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
After my bottle of wine this evening, I began to have a heavy heart about our economy. Everyone, we have been in a rut for at least the past six years. Do you all really think things will ever get good again? I am so sad because I feel like so much of my life has been absorbed by this ruthless recession and economy. I am 25 years old. As an adult, I have truly never seen good economic times. I have a bachelors degree in Business Management and all I did after graduation was sit idol in unemployment. I threw my applications into a black hole it seemed. I finally found a job and have been there for the past year but I just left two Friday's ago because I need to move to a new state. Will I be chronically unemployed again? Next week, I take my CPC certification exam but what is the point? Will it really make my life better? Lets be honest, it won't. Why try to improve yourself in a world that is so broken?

Portal Seven | U6 Unemployment Rate
Learn to brew your own, just make sure your feed stock is free. Crab apple wine can be pretty good.

F'em and help yourself.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Economies go up, economies go down. It is a never ending cycle, and should not be a surprise to anyone.

Clever people figure out a way to make money in a down cycle. They then have a different way to make money in an up cycle.

One thing that has been proven multiple times to not work in a down cycle is to sit around drinking wine by the bottle and waiting for someone to come and knock on your door and offer you a high paying job.

Actually, thinking about it further, that doesn't work well in an up cycle, either.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:35 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
U6 down from 17% to 14%. The economy is already getting better.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,373,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I have a bachelors degree in Business Management and all I did after graduation was sit idol in unemployment. I threw my applications into a black hole it seemed.
The problem lies within yourself... Sitting around idle or watching American Idol during unemployment is a problem. Being idle or perceiving yourself an idol can be a big impediment to success. Do not be idle. And do not think companies will idolize you because of the degree. Stop drinking wine and feeling sorry for yourself and go do some productive career planning work.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Years ago Rush featured a segment on high dollar earning managers and middle managers that had lost their jobs in a former recession. People had claimed that those that had lost those jobs would never return to the kind of money that they made or ever enjoy the kind of work. The world can be harsh on a middle aged person lets say in their late 40's mid 50's or even an older worker. These were all people that had high paying careers.

In the segment that took place several years after the lay offs had occured it was found that the larger percentage of these workers were happy that they had been laid off. Many started their own business's. Others took to persuits that they had wanted to do but could not see giving up the high income. Turns out that achievers can beet the odds and move on with life. At the time that Rush had these people on his show many had not returned to the high pay that they at one time had. Still most were happy with life and what they were now accomplishing. My dad and his friends were a part of the group that had been downsized. Of those that I personally knew, many did infact have successfull second careers in business's or other things that they loved. It was scary at first but they made it happen on their own.

I often wonder about younger workers that are going thru this same thing. It would seem that if given the chance and nothing else is happening that they would opt to start their own business operations. You don't have a job, why not do your own thing? Maybe with older workers that have given parts of their life to someone else they see that as something desired and wanted out of life. Who knows.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
The problem lies within yourself... Sitting around idle or watching American Idol during unemployment is a problem. Being idle or perceiving yourself an idol can be a big impediment to success. Do not be idle. And do not think companies will idolize you because of the degree. Stop drinking wine and feeling sorry for yourself and go do some productive career planning work.
I don't sit idle, thank you. Every day of my life I dedicate some or most of my time to better myself. Today, as I have been nearly every day I will spend hours studying for my CPC certification. I look forward to being done with it next week as it has been a long tough year working full time and studying for it during the evenings.

And I LOVE wine. Don't tell me I can't have any. You seemed to have missed the whole point of my post which was to talk about if the economy will ever get better. This topic is NOT about ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics