Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
After my bottle of wine this evening, I began to have a heavy heart about our economy. Everyone, we have been in a rut for at least the past six years. Do you all really think things will ever get good again? I am so sad because I feel like so much of my life has been absorbed by this ruthless recession and economy. I am 25 years old. As an adult, I have truly never seen good economic times. I have a bachelors degree in Business Management and all I did after graduation was sit idol in unemployment. I threw my applications into a black hole it seemed. I finally found a job and have been there for the past year but I just left two Friday's ago because I need to move to a new state. Will I be chronically unemployed again? Next week, I take my CPC certification exam but what is the point? Will it really make my life better? Lets be honest, it won't. Why try to improve yourself in a world that is so broken?

Portal Seven | U6 Unemployment Rate
Japan last year in its third decade of a down turn. That's 20+ years. The price of a fast food bowl of rice and beef kept on going down that it was used as a measure of deflation losing 2/3 of the price.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/30/bu...pagewanted=all

There were numerous false signs of an upswing.

Mayonnaise, rice bowl costs hint at Japan inflation | Reuters In 2007, the feeling was that the economy had turned the corner. Sadly not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 PM

452 posts, read 709,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
The problem lies within yourself... Sitting around idle or watching American Idol during unemployment is a problem. Being idle or perceiving yourself an idol can be a big impediment to success. Do not be idle. And do not think companies will idolize you because of the degree. Stop drinking wine and feeling sorry for yourself and go do some productive career planning work.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:47 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Japan last year in its third decade of a down turn. That's 20+ years. The price of a fast food bowl of rice and beef kept on going down that it was used as a measure of deflation losing 2/3 of the price.

Mayonnaise, rice bowl costs hint at Japan inflation | Reuters In 2007, the feeling was that the economy had turned the corner. Sadly not.
Yeah. Poor Japan has been in a long time rut. Is delation really a bad thing though? Cost of living going Dow doesnt seem all that bad.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Wait, you quit a job and are moving to another state WITH NO OTHER job lined up? Oh, to be young again!

Listen, most of your problems stem from your age. You couldn't pay me to be in my 20's again! It's probably one of the most difficult times of your life, with the exception of aging and needing a caregiver.

To make matters even more difficult, you quit two weeks ago and are still living in the same city? No words for that decision.

Well, it probably will all turn out for the best....don't worry. It's in your 20's that you can make mistakes, learn from them and grow. Good luck on that exam! It should help you hopeful score another job.
Thank you. I am feeling confident in myself. I have studied very diligently this year so that I can pass. Also, my last employer has a branch in Atlanta (where I am moving to) they definitely encouraged me to apply for positions when I get there and post all my references. I will make it all work out.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:52 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post

Modern economies run on cash flows from rising asset prices and rising asset prices are not sustainable for industry that cannot afford to pay higher FIRE sector costs. So its a long tern trap until it burns to the ground like in Detroit.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Will economy get better?
OP, I have bullet proof prediction for you.

When they asked a wise man, how is he doing, he said: Oy vey, worse than yesterday but better than tomorrow.

THAT is guaranteed.
That seems pretty scary! I am sure there are a lot of other people in that exact same situation too.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Given what I have seen in this thread, I think attitude might be the problem.

Wow...OP worked "for a whole year" lol. Your young and have a lot to learn about work, society, attitude, politics and communication
As I stated, I have five years of work experience under my belt. And of course, life is about learning. I have already leanrned a lot about the topics you listed and I plan to learn them even more.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
No, never. The 1%ers have raped this country economically. They have exported all of our jobs overseas. They took all the profits from corporate welfare, and tax breaks that voters foolishly gave them and took that overseas. If you think they will ever bring all that loot back, you are crazy.

Now lets all blame Obama for the mess that he inherited. That will solve our problems.
I know the 1 percenters are the ones that did the best in the post recession world. The working poor are ravaged these days. Hopefully decent hiring will continue though and the middle guys can pull through.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Modern economies run on cash flows from rising asset prices and rising asset prices are not sustainable for industry that cannot afford to pay higher FIRE sector costs. So its a long tern trap until it burns to the ground like in Detroit.
Do you think that is what will happen to Japan? That the whole country will go down Detroit style?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Am I the only one confused by why someone so pessimistic who has had such a hard time getting a job would choose to leave their current employment? Heck, I don't have problems finding work and am not pessimistic, and I've been putting off moving because the uncertainty makes me nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics