Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 PM

186 posts, read 362,410 times

Advertisements

If you go at it right, and spend about 1k per year, in a couple of years, you can have 20 credit cards, with a 10k on each one. That credit can be accessed by using the cards to buy gold coins, then selling the coins as you need the money. So it can pay for medical costs, legal costs, all sorts of goodies. If you are careful about which ones you apply for/keep, the annual fees are low. Just because you have a card does not mean that you have to use it and it certainly does not mean that you have to carry a debt over the end of the month! Pay off the balance due and the 24% interest is not an issue.

You never know when bad things are going to happen. 1k a year is a ridiculously low "premium" to have so much "generic" insurance. You are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 01:58 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
1k a year is a ridiculously low "premium" to have so much "generic" insurance.
You could call those lines of credit "insurance" or you could call is "rope" that you might hang yourself with, if you happen run into financial problems like losing your job, medical bills, etc.

Its how you look at it.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:50 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Not sure if the OP is serious or not. I do think it's good to build credit and I recommend people start as early as possible.

Of course you will want to pay off the cards in full each month.

It's not a bad idea to to have large amounts accessible credit for emergencies that's true...but of course it's good to have many months expenses in an emergency fund.

Too many people living paycheck to paycheck and something as common as a car breaking down can destroy them financially.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I have a ton of credit, always thought it was a good idea. I wouldn't buy gold with it though because A) I'd still have to make CC payment because it's not like paying cash for gold is it? and B) it's hard to just up and sell gold "if you get sick" and C) I don't want to store it.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:25 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
Yeah, speculation on commodities with rapidly shifting values on credit really works

Just another tax denier who pretends to be a rich guy, and a tough guy, on the internet while living in a trailer.

If your plan really worked, and you believed enough in it to actually try it, you wouldn't be living in a house with wheels.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Meh. I prefer the money.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:10 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
Yeah, I'll pass. But have fun with that.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
OK. You are going to borrow money to buy gold coins. So how are you going to pay back the credit card? Are you planning to just walk away (be a dead beat?)

If you have the money to pay the card off each month, then you don't really need that credit to buy gold.

Are you borrowing the money to buy gold and then taking your gold buying money to pay off the card each month? Well, I guess you could establish a lit of lines of credit. I don't know what for. If you are paying it off every month, you don't need all that credit. What are you going to use 20 credit cards for?

With 20 open credit cards, your credit score is going to suffer. A good credit score is useful for a lot of things: renting, buying, the cost of your insurance, etc.

Keep in mind that if you buy all your gold with a credit card, then there is a lot of record all over the place about how much gold you have.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Adding a note here: If you can't get a credit card of less than 24%, you have a really crappy credit score. People with good credit are paying 9% or less and no annual fees for their credit cards.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Coin and gold dealers never accept credit cards. The buy-sell margin is too thin, and would be eaten up by credit card transaction fees.

You'd have to use the credit cards to get cash advances to buy gold, and then pay high interest rates on cash advances, you get the end-of-billing-cycle grace period only on purchases, not on cash advance.

You'd have to resell your gold in less than a month, in order to pay off your credit card balance before charges accrue. Gold would have to go up 1.5% in that month for you to break even, even at the best rate you can get for a gold pool account, without taking physical possession. At this moment, gold pool is $1375 in and $1354 out. Both figures are down $22 from what they were at this time yesterday, so if you had bought yesterday at $1397, you'd be selling today at a loss of $42 an ounce.

The only way the OP's idea would work would be a defense against a personal disaster. If you had 20 cards with $10K limits, that is probably $5K on cash advance, so you could grab a quick $100K and head for the airport for an international flight and don't look back.

If you don't use your credit card for about two years, it will not be renewed at expiration date, so you'd have to use every card a couple times every year, to keep them current.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-10-2013 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics