Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:04 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
That's true everywhere in the US.
Hardly. I can drive across New England and never see the level of poverty, illiteracy, poor health I see driving from southern Virginia to the The Research Triangle region of NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 01:14 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
I can drive across New England and never see the level of poverty, illiteracy, poor health
So we are supposed to trust your eyes as you amble down the highway over the US census bureau? Well ok then.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:28 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
CNN

Country Music

NASCAR

Wal-Mart

Home Depot

Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
The cost to operate business isn't cheaper when you can't find quality workers, healthy, educated workers, and your infrastructure is crumbling.
I wouldn't say that the infrastructure in the south has been crumbling... In fact, the infrastructure is new in many parts of southern cities because they've been growing quite rapidly. Attracting high quality workers hasn't been a problem either, especially when housing and property taxes are much much lower than the northern cities.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
Quote:
Research Triangle would havebeen impossible without public dollars. Ditto Austin. Without the state-funded universities in the backyards of these areas, plus the public investment in infrastructure, it's hard to imagine these places growing organically todaywith just private dollars. Also, the first tenant at RTP was IBM <from New York> and the EPA <federal dollars>.

The other point is that these "homegrown" businesses weren't built in a vacuum without publically-funded schools, infrastructure and/or imported talent.
Good grief.

Where would this not be true?

Does Silicon Valley, for example, not have public universities or public infrastructure (roads, water, sewer)? Do the companies there not have any imported talent, for example Indians and ethnic Chinese here on H1B visas? Why is this different?

Bottom line: You asked to be corrected if you were wrong. Well, you were wrong, and you have been corrected. The RTP area has more PhDs per capita than just about anywhere else in the world. They don't sit on their thumbs all day. RTP is the largest research-and-development park in the world, it's in the South, it was envisioned and developed by Southerners, and it involves very little public money (quite the contrary, actually, as the payroll taxes on RTP employees are enormous).

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 09-09-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 01:57 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Well, aside from technology, banking, energy production, OIL, auto manufacturing, electrical equipment--things like LARGE transformers, food/, fish, cattle, aircraft manufacturing, space programs, tourism, textiles, boat/ship building and any economic impact.

They are all leaches. Best not to patronize bank of America, fly on a Boeing plane, heat with oil, run your car on gas, eat steak, have carpet on your floors, enjoy the Florida sun, appreciate electricity, or live in a manufactured home. People who provide our nation with these goods and services are simply gaming the system.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
...for our friends in the North...

It has occurred to us recently that the South's economic strategy can be summarized in one word: "poaching". The South isn't creating new jobs as much as it is poaching them for other places. The South, with the help/ investment of the government isn't creating anything but fast food entrees, snack cakes and sugary soft drinks. Can anyone name anything that's come out of the South that hasn't been a byproduct of public investment or isn't associated with a food product that tastes good but is dismal or your health?

As. Southerner, I don't see how the South has made it without handouts from taxpayers, poaching jobs from other places or creating food products that are hazardous to our health.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Kentucky's thoroughbred horse industry. Still not viewed as a food product on this side of the Pond, thankfully...

Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Kentucky's thoroughbred horse industry. Still not viewed as a food product on this side of the Pond, thankfully...
Why? Is horse bad for the environment?

Old 09-09-2013, 07:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Cheap labor isn't disappearing unfortunately. In spite of the hard work of educators, the "education" policy of the GOP in the South guarantees a steady supply of barely literate workers for at least the next generation.
I was referring to cheap knowledge workers. Those are the kinds of labor that are attracting businesses down south. As their economy improves, the cost of their labor will increase for sure. I see the lack of education in the South as a temporary thing. In the next 100 years or so, things will change for the better.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:40 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I was referring to cheap knowledge workers. Those are the kinds of labor that are attracting businesses down south. As their economy improves, the cost of their labor will increase for sure. I see the lack of education in the South as a temporary thing. In the next 100 years or so, things will change for the better.
LOL. 100 years! You're right though....sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics