Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 03:51 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
QE has helped the investor class. And that includes myself and many others in the middle class.
I think it has helped one and only one class - the top 1% and that is uncontradicted. But glad to hear you are doing well and are more than happy to gloat about it as hundreds of millions suffer. Maybe you would like to write a book and share it with the slaves who are building iPods. I mean you really must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 04:02 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I think it has helped one and only one class - the top 1% and that is uncontradicted. But glad to hear you are doing well and are more than happy to gloat about it as hundreds of millions suffer. Maybe you would like to write a book and share it with the slaves who are building iPods. I mean you really must.
QE has helped investors of the middle class, home owners in the middle class, and borrowers (like autos) in the middle class. Without QE interest rates would have been somewhat higher these past few years. And I do not thing that effect would have been significant enough improve on the stagnation of the majority of the middle class. Because QE has not been very effective for the overall economy. It has not been effective enough to help create enough more business and jobs that our middle class needs. That will take more time and a different remedies.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:10 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
Quote:
QE has helped investors of the middle class, home owners in the middle class, and borrowers (like autos) in the middle class. Without QE interest rates would have been somewhat higher these past few years. And I do not thing that effect would have been significant enough improve on the stagnation of the majority of the middle class. Because QE has not been very effective for the overall economy. It has not been effective enough to help create enough more business and jobs that our middle class needs. That will take more time and a different remedies.
The only class that has accumulated more wealth is the top 1%. So much so, that it is now as lopsided as it was in the Roaring 20s. In other words, with the repeal of Glass-Seagall, the Feds have successfully rolled back all of the middle class accomplishments of 60 tears of hard work and have successfully made serfs of everyone as they did at the turn of the century. Nothing like good ole serfdom. Rockefeller is smiling in his grave.

What everyone else has accumulated is a lower standard of living, low paying jobs, an incredible amount of debt, and no future. Very nice.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:44 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
The only class that has accumulated more wealth is the top 1%. So much so, that it is now as lopsided as it was in the Roaring 20s. In other words, with the repeal of Glass-Seagall, the Feds have successfully rolled back all of the middle class accomplishments of 60 tears of hard work and have successfully made serfs of everyone as they did at the turn of the century. Nothing like good ole serfdom. Rockefeller is smiling in his grave.

What everyone else has accumulated is a lower standard of living, low paying jobs, an incredible amount of debt, and no future. Very nice.
Fear of the poor is what allowed for the passage of Glass Steagall in the 30's. Fear is the only thing that will precede it's reenactment.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Again, I don't disagree that the middle class as a whole has languished for way too long. I haven't had a raise since '88. But any homeowner or recent buyer has benefited, and I know plenty. My kids bought in at the nadir several years ago, and we just sold my my recently deceased MIL's house at a great profit for my disabled SIL. Couldn't have happened so easily without these low rates.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:20 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Well, geez, maybe that's because they didn't have the level of sophisticated automation we have today!
And 50 years before that they had a lot less.

The rate of increase in tech driven productivity and job destruction was just as high then as now. The difference is that wages kept pace with those gains. Wages have been flat since the 70s.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:45 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
I think it has helped one and only one class - the top 1% and that is uncontradicted.
This makes no sense, since the person you're responding to is repeatedly contradicting you with real life examples proving your claim is false.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This makes no sense, since the person you're responding to is repeatedly contradicting you with real life examples proving your claim is false.
On balance as a group though the rich have definitely gained since 2008, not the middle class. The bulk of new money has gone to the top. It is past time IMO that the middle class demand and receive their bail.

Reduced Federal taxes on the middle class.
Policies to encourage middle class home ownership for those qualified.
Cheaper HC with easier and more universal access.
Education. College for all those willing and qualified.
Infrastructure projects all over the USA, not only for improvements but for middle class jobs.
Even the ELR should be discussed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employer_of_last_resort

Old 09-25-2015, 01:00 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It's also contradicted by the 1%, the supposed beneficiaries.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:59 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
On balance as a group though the rich have definitely gained since 2008, not the middle class. The bulk of new money has gone to the top. It is past time IMO that the middle class demand and receive their bail.
Without a doubt.

My point was millions of middle class people have benefited from low interest rates as well, richrf's world view seems to center on people with significant assets in cash instruments, no alternate investments, and no debt. Reality is there are many people without much in cash but carrying a mortgage, auto loan, etc. so the current rate environment isn't necessarily generating only financial misery for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics