Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

The chart includes States not listed in the spreadsheet, something I over-looked, since I took the total percentage from the spreadsheet data.

just wanted to highlight the important part of your diatribe. The part where you admitted to making a mistake, even though you attempt to minimize it and bury it in BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
How is that premise false exactly? You can give a college degree to every American citizen, but someone still has to flip the burgers. Financing their college degree would be a terrible investment since Burger King doesn't pay more for their educated workers.
Only if you believe the oversimplified notion that an education is simply beneficial to making money. A society benefits from an educated populace, whether they choose to maximize their earning potential is another matter entirely.

Let's not forget that the vast majority of student loans are profitable. In that sense they are good investments. Particularly if you cannot forgive them through bankruptcy.

You might as well make the argument that some very successful people never graduated high school, so why bother encouraging this practice? A "burger flipper", as you so eloquently describe people who actually are working for a living, doesn't even need a HS diploma, right?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:19 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Lots of people arguing that student loans should not be dischargeable in bankruptcy due to the fact that the education can't be taken back. Fair enough, although I'd advocate stripping the diploma from the individual. In other words, they would not be allowed to claim they have a college degree on their resume or job applications.

This leads me to my next question. Why are we allowing tens of thousands of dollars to be loaned to people who have no collateral to offset it in the case of financial distress? Instead, they are left with a burden for the rest of their life, even if they are not able to capitalize on it and pay it off. To me, it is not a humane practice to allow people to willingly sell themselves into indentured servitude. Either they should be required to be better educated on the TRUE value of the education they are financing or the money they are allowed to borrow should be capped based on actual earning potential of the degree they are pursuing. Most BA/BS degrees should have about a $20k borrowing cap IMO, and most grad/professional degrees should have a borrowing limit that's capped at about $50k.

We stepped up regulation on the home loan industry after the housing bubble burst. I think it's time we start investigating practical regulations for the student loan industry with the looming student loan debt bubble on the horizon.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:41 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Either they should be required to be better educated on the TRUE value of the education they are financing or the money they are allowed to borrow should be capped based on actual earning potential of the degree they are pursuing. Most BA/BS degrees should have about a $20k borrowing cap IMO, and most grad/professional degrees should have a borrowing limit that's capped at about $50k..
I like that. I'd favor, no matter the costs, capping loans at a percentage of just tuition if commuting (75% maybe), or at tuition and fees only if living there. Hence, students would need savings or current employment income for the annual gap, and they would have some immediate financial skin in the game.

For a car loan or a mortgage, immediate down payments are expected..skin in the game..why not college costs?

Now, for the lowest income, I'd consider allowing them to earn during the school year to meet the requirement instead, but failure to earn your part freshman year would negate your ability to get any loans sophomore year.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
This leads me to my next question. Why are we allowing tens of thousands of dollars to be loaned to people who have no collateral to offset it in the case of financial distress?
This is a very good question.
Quote:
Instead, they are left with a burden for the rest of their life, even if they are not able to capitalize on it and pay it off. To me, it is not a humane practice to allow people to willingly sell themselves into indentured servitude. Either they should be required to be better educated on the TRUE value of the education they are financing or the money they are allowed to borrow should be capped based on actual earning potential of the degree they are pursuing. Most BA/BS degrees should have about a $20k borrowing cap IMO, and most grad/professional degrees should have a borrowing limit that's capped at about $50k.
Seems reasonable to me.
Quote:

We stepped up regulation on the home loan industry after the housing bubble burst. I think it's time we start investigating practical regulations for the student loan industry with the looming student loan debt bubble on the horizon.
There is no student loan debt bubble on the horizon. Student loans have a safety net built into them.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I like that. I'd favor, no matter the costs, capping loans at a percentage of just tuition if commuting (75% maybe), or at tuition and fees only if living there. Hence, students would need savings or current employment income for the annual gap, and they would have some immediate financial skin in the game.

For a car loan or a mortgage, immediate down payments are expected..skin in the game..why not college costs?

Now, for the lowest income, I'd consider allowing them to earn during the school year to meet the requirement instead, but failure to earn your part freshman year would negate your ability to get any loans sophomore year.
The problem with this approach is that more students will have the desire to work while attending college. We definitely don't want that. Their time is better used doing research, writing grant proposals, and thesis work.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:30 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
How about this...

If you would like to take out a student loan where the recipient can default, fine. Only stipulation is, the interest rates will be significantly higher to make it attractive for the banks to issue the loans.

On the other hand, you will also have the same access to low interest rate loans which are non dischargable through bankruptcy.

Seems fair enough to me. What many young folks will soon learn though... You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
How about this...

If you would like to take out a student loan where the recipient can default, fine. Only stipulation is, the interest rates will be significantly higher to make it attractive for the banks to issue the loans.

On the other hand, you will also have the same access to low interest rate loans which are non dischargable through bankruptcy.

Seems fair enough to me. What many young folks will soon learn though... You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Which is the current system in a nutshell.

FinAid | Loans | Private Student Loans

Personally, I can think of a lot of wasteful or questionable things for a young person to invest in. Education is not one of them.

BTW, what would be the point of "having" cake and not eating it?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The problem with this approach is that more students will have the desire to work while attending college. We definitely don't want that. Their time is better used doing research, writing grant proposals, and thesis work.
I disagree. Many mags rank schools on their party atmostphere-lets trade p/t work for p/t partying.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:31 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
How about this...

In that situation, kids will take out the high interest loans where they have the option to default. They will simply rack up $100k in debt without any intention whatsoever of paying it back. Then upon graduation, they will immediately file for bankruptcy and wipe it out. So what? They will have bad credit for the next 5 years or so? They still have the degree and nice job that goes with it.

Building on your suggestion, another stipulation I would add is that the degree will be revoked if the person defaults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics