Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:55 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They are Ethical, but they are not Moral.

There is a professional ethic that applies to them, but in no way does it reflect any morality.
WHAT!?!?

You can't have it both ways. Ethics by definition are a system of moral practices. You can't have one without the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:38 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
In other words, lawyers are thin skinned and can't stand criticism, even constructive criticism which has been provided in heaps in just this one topic.

Glad to hear you're so proud of your profession. Unfortunately, your profession is regarded rather poorly by the general population. On some charts they're right at the bottom.

I would even venture to say these rankings are unfair and are based on the actions of a few who have sullied the profession. I know a lot of lawyers who are perfectly nice, ethical, decent people that I would trust to handle my affairs. You, I don't know--your postings reflect a contemptuous, supercilious attitude toward people not in the "priesthood". The ones I like are the ones who can joke about their profession, who accept that there are problems, who recognize that there's a lot of room for improvement.
I've said my piece and I'm choosing to write this and end my discussion with you. You have some problems reading. I didn't say lawyers couldn't stand criticism. I said we welcomed constructive criticism from informed people. Its exactly why we invite a number of non-lawyers to sit on the executive body of our bar association and help make policy. What we don't welcome are "lawyer-haters". I define this group as being against us no matter what we say or do. This group has become like "water off a duck's back" to me and I pay as little attention to them as possible.

Fact: There are winners and losers in any legal system because it is structured in that fashion. Losers are often going to be unhappy and virtually nothing will change that. This accounts for much of the criticism of the legal profession whether people can bring themselves to admit it or not. I'm not saying that sometimes the people who win don't end up losing because of bad counsel, a bad judge, a bad jury, or laws that need to be changed. However, it is not my fault. Nor, is it the fault of literally thousands of hard working, dedicated lawyers who pour themselves into their client's causes on a daily basis.

I don't pay much attention to public opinion polls. Instead, I try to do what is right for my own clients. I use forums like this to try to explain--to the open minded--why the system works the way that it does. If people don't like lawyers after having done that, I don't worry about it.

Your posts are an example of someone who largely does not know what he is talking about, probably has a very limited view of life, and likely has never wanted for money. If these things were different, your opinions would likely be different as well.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:42 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,969 times
Quote:
Yay! Lawyers to the rescue!
Indeed.

Quote:
I think you'd be much more likely to get apologies and support from caregivers if they weren't afraid of being sued.
They get sued when they commit errors of omission or commission that result in grievous and/or durable injury or damage to others. You'd be sued if you did that as well.

Quote:
Fortunately, another state has made it OK to apologize without fear of retribution. Notably, the Bar Association opposed this law.
All sensible people oppose such laws. Caps on punitive awards are merely a get-out-of-jail free card for corporate interests who callously and wantonly expose the public to foreseeable risks of serious harm.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:48 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Your posts are an example of someone who largely does not know what he is talking about...
Very nice series of posts. Thanks for taking the time to put them up. Others will be stumbling across them for years to come and learning something from them.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:56 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Depends upon one's definition of " ethical" is !

A friend of mine was going thru a divorce and my friend's dad recommended the local small town lawyer.

Said he went to school with him and knew him all of his life.

Seemed like the lawyer dragged out that divorce proceedings for a long time $$$$$ and when my friend said he was nearly out of money and hoping for closure.............the lawyer said...."your dad has plenty of money. Start leaning on him "

Old 11-21-2013, 09:50 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
I've said my piece and I'm choosing to write this and end my discussion with you. You have some problems reading. I didn't say lawyers couldn't stand criticism. I said we welcomed constructive criticism from informed people. Its exactly why we invite a number of non-lawyers to sit on the executive body of our bar association and help make policy. What we don't welcome are "lawyer-haters". I define this group as being against us no matter what we say or do. This group has become like "water off a duck's back" to me and I pay as little attention to them as possible.

Fact: There are winners and losers in any legal system because it is structured in that fashion. Losers are often going to be unhappy and virtually nothing will change that. This accounts for much of the criticism of the legal profession whether people can bring themselves to admit it or not. I'm not saying that sometimes the people who win don't end up losing because of bad counsel, a bad judge, a bad jury, or laws that need to be changed. However, it is not my fault. Nor, is it the fault of literally thousands of hard working, dedicated lawyers who pour themselves into their client's causes on a daily basis.
Where are these 1000's of ethical lawyers regarding the corrupt and abusive guardianships as well
as the blood sucking fiduciaries? Really, I would like to know. This "David" cannot fight the financially
bloated Goliath.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:06 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Oh pooh. You don't have to stomp off. No one here hates lawyers; we just think lawyers need more humility and maybe to stop working on contingency basis for windfall profit. That's not criticism; it's ideas for improving the profession and removing the sleaze factor.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:17 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
Oh pooh. You don't have to stomp off. No one here hates lawyers; we just think lawyers need more humility and maybe to stop working on contingency basis for windfall profit. That's not criticism; it's ideas for improving the profession and removing the sleaze factor.
Who is this we?

Windfall profit?

Right, because every case is worth 8 million bucks and all lawyers are rolling in cash and driving Maybachs.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Quote:
Good grief, where did you get the idea there are windfall profits on every case?

There are bad apples in EVERY profession.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:11 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Good grief, where did you get the idea there are windfall profits on every case?

There are bad apples in EVERY profession.
Please don't distort and exaggerate what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics